PDA

View Full Version : Recommend some tenor strings

PihSant
06-02-2009, 01:05 AM
I'm wanting to change out the strings on my KoAloha Tenor. Any recommendations on what to get?

UkuCouS
06-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Try Worth clear, fits perfectly to my Kanile'a

UkuleleD
06-02-2009, 02:16 AM
Worth clear medium or hard tension, or KoAloha brand strings: Will brighten/liven your sound right up

Ko'olau Golds low g metal wound 3rd/4th string set - Will give your KoAloha a lovely deep rich warm tone

D'Addario Pro Arte J71's - Similar to worth clear - little on the bright side, but seems to resonate more, little more sustain, smooth players

I have the Golds on my Tenor right now because thats the sound I want out of it, and the clear fluorocarbon strings on my Concert.

Roy Jovero
06-02-2009, 02:32 AM
ihart my Pro-Artes!

ichadwick
06-02-2009, 03:39 AM
I prefer Aquilas and have them on most of my ukes, with a few exceptions:

I have J71s on a Pono cedar-top and find it more mellow than I like. I plan to change this to Aquilas soon. I replaces the Ko'olau low-G set on my Pono mango with Aquilas and it helped brighten it up.

I have Ko-olau gold on my Fluke and they're nice but old and I need a new set - possibly Worth.

I have low-G Hilo strings on my cigar box uke and the sound is wonderful, and won't change that for a while.

All tenors, by the way.

fumanshu
06-02-2009, 07:34 AM
I strung mostly my uke with Savarez Alliance but I just try a set of LaBella on my custom MP spruce top/ koa sides and back tenor and I just love how it sounds.

I gives it a more flamenco style. I loose a little bit in sustain but get fast and responsive attack.

I personnnally don't use Worth anymore except on my Koaloha concert which I think really souns good with Worth.

D'addario sounds very good but on a uke, I just find the gauge a little bit big. On a guitar it,s really nice.

wickedwahine11
06-02-2009, 08:51 AM
When I want high G tuning, I'm a big fan of the D'addario Pro Artes J71.
For low g tuning (which I currently have on right now), the Worth Brown tenors are doing fine. I didn't like the Worth browns the first time I tried them, but maybe it is because it is low g, I am perfectly content with them at the moment.

If you don't mind wound strings, the Guadalupe strings are very cool. The low g ones are white colored and the rainbow ones for the high G are crazy looking. I really liked them, but I hate wound strings so I took them off. If you don't mind the texture and slide sound, they are great.

Edit: ended up putting Aquila low g on for now. The Worths did start to fall out of favor with me again after all...

Tanizaki
06-02-2009, 12:41 PM
I currently have D'addario classical guitar strings (EJ45) on my tenor. Low G setup, just use the first four strings.

kalmario
06-02-2009, 12:54 PM
does MGM sell these other brands,

I'm in NZ and all i can source is martin and aquila strings, and find them slighlty on the bright side.

where else can you source these from?

cheers

Cliff

uber_goober
06-02-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm a fan of the D'Addario Pro Arte J71's. I like nylon and unwound strings, hence the J71's. I'd suggest MGM for strings (simply because he's great). Though I have found that my local music stores that have D'Addario contracts can get me any of the ukulele sets as well.

-John

jdmcnasty
06-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Worth clear hards!

drjond56
06-02-2009, 04:44 PM
I also have a KoAloha tenor and my preference is for the Aquila in low G tuning.

Jon

ukeson
06-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Are these high 'G' tuned strings? If I follow the instructions it puts the thicker string on the 'C'...

Ukeson
Beaumont, TX
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww175/tailwheel45/UkeStrings.jpg

RevWill
06-03-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm an Aquila Nylgut (all plain, no wound) fan. They just sound right to my ear.:shaka:

nikolo727
06-03-2009, 08:38 PM
D'addario Pro Artes. Greatest strings ever. And you can buy em straight off of UU. Jake Shimabukuro uses them. Aldrine uses them. nuff said.

danged
06-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Aquilla's are not for me, they are on the bright side good if you like high G tunning, Ko'olau Gold's low G are warm and stay in tune better. I am currently trying D'addario wound guitar string with Savarez classical guitar strings, recommended to me by some local Hawaiian musicians, and I love them! The end result will also depend on the Uke you are installing them on, as some strings sound better on certain brands.

Teek
06-05-2009, 09:15 PM
danged, can you post the sizes of the Savarez strings? I'd like to try them, did you use the upper 4 of classical strings, are any wound? I'm not sure where to start with them, I'd like to try a set on a tenor AND a bari. Light tenor strings like Worth LT can go on a bari, I have a set on right now. may be too thin feeling but the sound is ok, I have it in Bb tuning.

ukeson, a thicker string on C means high g if they are all the same material. Low G or low 4th C tuning (same thing) would be a thicker string if these are NOT wound, i.e.; all PLAIN. If the 4th is wound it's a hair thinner, and low G. This set is these? = J71 D'Addario Pro Arte Tenor Ukulele Strings = all nylon. On one bari I have Hilo bari high G strings and swapped the high g 4th for a Hilo wound low G 4th.

danged
06-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Here are the strings D'addario (low G) NLY028W .71mm, Savarez Classical Guitar 543R (C) .89mm, 542R (E) .91mm, 541R (A) .71mm. They sell these individually at Just Strings.com