Recommend some tenor strings

PihSant

Reaction score
I'm wanting to change out the strings on my KoAloha Tenor. Any recommendations on what to get?

Worth clear medium or hard tension, or KoAloha brand strings: Will brighten/liven your sound right up

Ko'olau Golds low g metal wound 3rd/4th string set - Will give your KoAloha a lovely deep rich warm tone

D'Addario Pro Arte J71's - Similar to worth clear - little on the bright side, but seems to resonate more, little more sustain, smooth players

I have the Golds on my Tenor right now because thats the sound I want out of it, and the clear fluorocarbon strings on my Concert.

I prefer Aquilas and have them on most of my ukes, with a few exceptions:

I have J71s on a Pono cedar-top and find it more mellow than I like. I plan to change this to Aquilas soon. I replaces the Ko'olau low-G set on my Pono mango with Aquilas and it helped brighten it up.

I have Ko-olau gold on my Fluke and they're nice but old and I need a new set - possibly Worth.

I have low-G Hilo strings on my cigar box uke and the sound is wonderful, and won't change that for a while.

All tenors, by the way.​

I strung mostly my uke with Savarez Alliance but I just try a set of LaBella on my custom MP spruce top/ koa sides and back tenor and I just love how it sounds.

I gives it a more flamenco style. I loose a little bit in sustain but get fast and responsive attack.

I personnnally don't use Worth anymore except on my Koaloha concert which I think really souns good with Worth.

D'addario sounds very good but on a uke, I just find the gauge a little bit big. On a guitar it,s really nice.

When I want high G tuning, I'm a big fan of the D'addario Pro Artes J71.
For low g tuning (which I currently have on right now), the Worth Brown tenors are doing fine. I didn't like the Worth browns the first time I tried them, but maybe it is because it is low g, I am perfectly content with them at the moment.

If you don't mind wound strings, the Guadalupe strings are very cool. The low g ones are white colored and the rainbow ones for the high G are crazy looking. I really liked them, but I hate wound strings so I took them off. If you don't mind the texture and slide sound, they are great.

Edit: ended up putting Aquila low g on for now. The Worths did start to fall out of favor with me again after all...

Last edited:
I currently have D'addario classical guitar strings (EJ45) on my tenor. Low G setup, just use the first four strings.

does MGM sell these other brands,

I'm in NZ and all i can source is martin and aquila strings, and find them slighlty on the bright side.

where else can you source these from?

cheers

Cliff

High G?

Are these high 'G' tuned strings? If I follow the instructions it puts the thicker string on the 'C'...

Ukeson
Beaumont, TX
UkeStrings.jpg

I'm an Aquila Nylgut (all plain, no wound) fan. They just sound right to my ear.:shaka:

D'addario Pro Artes. Greatest strings ever. And you can buy em straight off of UU. Jake Shimabukuro uses them. Aldrine uses them. nuff said.

Aquilla's are not for me, they are on the bright side good if you like high G tunning, Ko'olau Gold's low G are warm and stay in tune better. I am currently trying D'addario wound guitar string with Savarez classical guitar strings, recommended to me by some local Hawaiian musicians, and I love them! The end result will also depend on the Uke you are installing them on, as some strings sound better on certain brands.

danged, can you post the sizes of the Savarez strings? I'd like to try them, did you use the upper 4 of classical strings, are any wound? I'm not sure where to start with them, I'd like to try a set on a tenor AND a bari. Light tenor strings like Worth LT can go on a bari, I have a set on right now. may be too thin feeling but the sound is ok, I have it in Bb tuning.

ukeson, a thicker string on C means high g if they are all the same material. Low G or low 4th C tuning (same thing) would be a thicker string if these are NOT wound, i.e.; all PLAIN. If the 4th is wound it's a hair thinner, and low G. This set is these? = J71 D'Addario Pro Arte Tenor Ukulele Strings = all nylon. On one bari I have Hilo bari high G strings and swapped the high g 4th for a Hilo wound low G 4th.

Here are the strings D'addario (low G) NLY028W .71mm, Savarez Classical Guitar 543R (C) .89mm, 542R (E) .91mm, 541R (A) .71mm. They sell these individually at Just Strings.com

Top Bottom