Kani Ka Pila Klip for cheat sheet

WoyWoy

Reaction score
Hi folks - I’ve been searching high and low without success for this product, which seems to no longer be in production. Anyone know where I can get say 20 of them for my uke group please?
Otherwise does anyone know of a similar product?
It’s a lightweight clear-plastic jointed clip-on with a sprung-grip end to hold a small crib sheet, or cheat sheet, onto the headstock of a uke. It functions a bit like a lyre for marching bands etc, but not designed for a full-sized music sheet - just a prompt for remembering chords etc during performance.
Thanks in advance.

Like you I searched for the Kani Ka Pila Klip recently without success. After thinking about possible alternatives I decided that, for me at least, it would probably have been an unwelcome distraction rather than a convenience.

Something I have considered is a transparent plastic sleeve, the sort of thing you get on ID lanyards, attached to the side of the uke. Write the cheat sheets onto index cards and slip them into the sleeve, putting the relevant song at the top as needed. Three or four cards, possibly more, should fit quite easily.

Since I frequently play a Flea the idea of sticking something to the body of the uke isn't quite as horrifying as it might be if you favour, say, a vintage Martin.

It always amazes when something I'm dealing with comes up in a forum post at exactly the same time. A couple of years ago the leader of my uke group found those clips online and showed it to all of us during rehearsal. The other bass player got online and bought a couple and he gave me one. Since then we both broke the clips, so a couple of months ago he went to look for more and they were not to be found.

He then sat in on bass for another uke group and saw they had the same ones but with the name of that uke group. Ha asked the leader where they got them, but was told the person that set it up is not with the group anymore, didn't know how they were done. He and I looked online for any kind of music holder, but nothing fit the bill like that clip.

A couple days later I was in the supermarket and on the shelves holding price tags were those clips. I got online and looked for price tag clips and bam, there they were. We bought 25 and I experimented with printing our group name to add to the clips (I'm a graphic designer) but finally decided to simply print on transparent inkjet self stick sheets and the other bass player cut them out and applied them.

Just today he brought them in and we sold them each for $5 donation to our stash for The Ukulele Kids Club. All 25 went (actually 24, I broke one while trying to loosen the clip), and we're ordering another 25 for the rest of the members.

The web site is: https://www.clipstrip.com/roto-clip-extenda-jumbo-sign-holder-rc-8000.html
The transparent paper is Avery 8665 Clear Full Sheet Labels

music clip 400.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 13 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 37)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Great. Also, there's other paper available that's completely clear, the Avery I listed is slightly opaque.

Well it turns out that if you search for rotating clip-on sign holders there are many kinds out there, in black clear or white and of varying lengths and complexity.
Mystery solved - seems the designers and retailers had no idea that these are useful for musicians as well!
This is why I love UU.

My Kani Ka Pila Klip broke a few months ago, I've been searching for a replacement since, and I am extremely happy that I found this thread. Thank you! :D

I bought a bunch of these on amazon for group, these are diff. Kinds made for signage in store. Watch how some do not turn as you would want them

You could also just use an old Snark, or other clip on tuner that crapped out on you, and stick a Post-It-Note on there. Probably more secure would be to glue on a small plastic sleeve, into which you could slide an index card or smaller cheat sheet. I know I have at least 1 or 2 old tuners that died on me.

20200127_121752.jpg

Last edited:
Update: I went to kohanmike's link to Clip Strip's "Roto Clip Extenda Jumbo Sign Holder, RC-8000" and ordered the minimum 25 clips. The shipping and small-order charges gave me pause, bringing the total to $62.82, but I rationalized this with the thought that I could share the spares with other members of my ukulele groups, and/or put them on eBay.

Alas, it hasn't worked out so well. While they look visually identical to the Kani Ka Pila Klip, either the metal portion of clip that connects to the headstock is higher tension, or the plastic is more brittle, or both.

I've tried five so far. One shattered immediately after I clipped it on. One creaked alarmingly (developing small incracks) but held for ten minutes or so, then shattered. One held. Two more creaked alarmingly, whereupon I took them off because I could see where they were heading. So at least I got one usable clip out of this, but...not a great ratio.

Update: I went to kohanmike's link to Clip Strip's "Roto Clip Extenda Jumbo Sign Holder, RC-8000" and ordered the minimum 25 clips. The shipping and small-order charges gave me pause, bringing the total to $62.82, but I rationalized this with the thought that I could share the spares with other members of my ukulele groups, and/or put them on eBay.

Alas, it hasn't worked out so well. While they look visually identical to the Kani Ka Pila Klip, either the metal portion of clip that connects to the headstock is higher tension, or the plastic is more brittle, or both.

I've tried five so far. One shattered immediately after I clipped it on. One creaked alarmingly (developing small incracks) but held for ten minutes or so, then shattered. One held. Two more creaked alarmingly, whereupon I took them off because I could see where they were heading. So at least I got one usable clip out of this, but...not a great ratio.

Very sorry to hear this. Of the fifty we bought for our group, we did break three, which where the the very first ones we took out of the pack. I've been careful when opening the clip and making adjustments, but haven't broken anymore.

Top Bottom