amplification Problem

Big Bob

Reaction score
Well folks here I am again looking for advice from all the GREAT folks here at UU.Here is what I have,a kanilea tenor with low g aquilla strings,a Dean Markley under saddle pick up and a Guitar Research acoustic amp AC30R.My problem is my low g string does not work on the amplifier but the others work.Any suggestions.thanks

Wow. That sucks.

Before you worry, I would try different strings, cables, amp, etc. Try different setups. Maybe something is sucking that exact frequency. Can you hear any notes from the G string (up the fretboard, faint)?

If that doesn't fix it, my guess would be that the pickup is installed wrong. With the under saddle pickups, they need to have even contact with the saddle all the way across the bridge. So if one part of the pickup (under the G string) isn't touching the saddle, you are losing that vibration.

Loosen the strings and gently pull up the saddle. You might see if there's a problem with the pickup.

Thanks for the suggestions.I have removed the strings and replaced them with a new set of low g aquillas I also removed the saddle.The pick up seems to be slightly shorter than the saddle.I have tried every imaginable settings on the amp.If I increase the gain knob I hear the g string but The other strings are really loud.I will admit I don't really fully understand the bells and whistles on the amp.I have 5 sliders for equalization from left to right with numbers 100,300,1k,3.5K,10K.They can be positioned between o in the center and a plus sign and a minus sign,then there is 3 knobs for chorus ,I know how that works.Then there is a knob labelled "notch "with frequence 60Hz to 1Kz,I don't know what that does.Then there is delay buttons I believe they work with the chorus .And the next is a "master" which is a volume.I have used this amp for an acoustic electric guitar ,mainly for down east "kitchen"parties.I don't have a user manual and have check online for info but no luck.Maybe the best thing will be to use a mike !!.Sugestions anyone ? Thanks

Have you tried the G string in a different position? If it makes a difference, the undersaddle pick up needs to be reinstalled. Dean Markley makes a good product, so I would think it was installed incorrectly. Some amps require the use of a preamp for passive pick ups to get a fuller sound as it could sound tinny.

I may be chasing rabbits here, but it could be that the string spacing at the saddle is too wide for the pickup element and that your G string isn't sitting above the active portion of the element. Sometimes the span of the strings will be too wide for the element. I don't know a thing about the Dean Markley pickups but Fishman elements are dead on either end, about 1/8" or so. I would try to determine whether or not the strings adequately cover the element. It might be that it may need to be re-centered......Just a guess. To piggy back on what Danged said, swap you G and C strings and see what happens.

Last edited:
Thank you ,thank you very much.I tried switching the strings and that did not work,so I got really brave and nudged the pickup a fraction of an inch and It fixed the problems.The ukulele sounds GREAT now amplified.All the strings sound really nice.Never to old to learn ha ha.I was getting worried that I would not hear myself play later on ha ha.I plan on playing for a very long time....Thanks again everybody

well what kind of pick-up are you using? is it external or did it come already in the uke, cause i was having a similar problem with my Tenor Lanikai CK-TEQ, so i kinda pulled my uke apart, (a risky operation i know) and it turns out the port for the 1/4" jack was too deep into my uke and it didnt plug in all the way... so i was lucky to have little holes in the sides of the little inside threads of the pick up.. i unscrewed the bottom of it and had to put a wire through one of the holes to pull it back out of the bottom of my uke.. once i felt it was out far enough to get my 1/4 jack into it all the way i screwed it back on. I had to do that a couple times cause i miscalculated how far i should pull it out...

It's a Dean Markley under saddle pickup ,no buttons or battery.I am not sure if the groove where the pickup fits into was done at the factory or after purchase.I bought the ukulele second hand at "Island Guitars "in Honolulu.The groove is longer than the pickup!! Is this normal??

Don't know if this is any help, but did you try a high-g to see if that works?:confused:

Am I missing something or did the OP solve the problem already?

...I got really brave and nudged the pickup a fraction of an inch and It fixed the problems.The ukulele sounds GREAT now amplified....

Yep, problem solved. I had a similar problem with my tenor Fluke once. I fixed it by pressing down with my thumb on the saddle. Proper pressure was restored, good sounds were heard by all.

Top Bottom