New Project

Jerryc41

Reaction score
The problem is that I'm not an artist or a painter, but I want to paint autumn leaves on a Fluke. I've played around with drawing leaves, with little success. Today, I'm going to my weekly painting session (Yes, a non-painter going to weekly painting), and I hope to get some help from the instructor and others.

The first challenge will be drawing something that looks like an array of leaves. The second challenge will be applying paint. If I mess it up, I can always sand it and start over. I'll lt you know how it turns out.

I bought one painted Fluke, and I had a friend paint a scene on another. Now it's my turn.

Good luck with that, Autumn leaves always come in various shades, I doubt it will be easy. :)

(Take some photos as a reminder of how they should look.)

Good luck with that, Autumn leaves always come in various shades, I doubt it will be easy. :)

(Take some photos as a reminder of how they should look.)

I got some good ideas at painting today. I gave the Fluke two coast of gesso as a base. They suggested pressing artificial leaves into paint or block-printing ink. Then I would press the leaves onto the uke. That's worth a try. I have leaves and ink arriving from Amazon on Wednesday.

They know that I have two painted Flukes, and now this one, so they asked how many ukes I have. I hesitated, and then I told them I had seventy-one. They suggested that I bring a few in to show them the different types. I might do that next week.

what type of paint do you use on a uke -- acrylic, water-based, etc.?

what type of paint do you use on a uke -- acrylic, water-based, etc.?

Acrylic seems to be the most popular for this type of thing. The one I bought was painted with acrylic, and so was the one that a friend painted for me. First, a base coat (or two) of gesso is applied. Of course, it would be washed and sanded before applying anything. I'll be giving this a coat of light green acrylic and then using block-printing ink and artificial leaves. It should be an interesting project.

Acrylic seems to be the most popular for this type of thing. The one I bought was painted with acrylic, and so was the one that a friend painted for me. First, a base coat (or two) of gesso is applied. Of course, it would be washed and sanded before applying anything. I'll be giving this a coat of light green acrylic and then using block-printing ink and artificial leaves. It should be an interesting project.

Jerry, I would suggest that you gesso a board, like a piece of Masonite, and practice your block print technique.

They also make clear gesso if you want to paint on the wood as the background.

Also, there are all kinds of block-printing inks and liquid acrylics, including metallic colors, that are available. Thicker than ink. More opaque.

Try to find some examples of block print art that you like. All kinds of resources and examples online. Then try to mimic the technique. Almost dry application to very full of paint application and everything in between. Many artists will try a test or two to work out their approach and technique and then do the final.

Don't forget, visually, dark recedes and light comes forward.

Good luck. Sounds like a fun project. Can't wait to see the end results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom