Any Opinions on Kala Thinline Travel baritone (KA-SSTU-B)?

Griole

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Even though I definitely do not need another uke, I am thinking about buying one of these. Any one out there who has owned or played one? I watched Vic Schmeltz's review, and was impressed. Teetering on the fence, and would appreciate some feedback. Thanks!

I bought one earlier this year, choosing the "thinline travel" over the regular Kala spruce-top baritone because I thought it sounded more balanced on the TUS/HMS site sound samples.

I think it's fine for the cost, although I don't understand why the thinner body model costs more than the full-size body one. Do they take a full-size one and then hire a personal trainer for it so it can be thinner?

Anyway, I think the Kala cedar top baritone for $310 – https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/size/kala-ka-abp-ctg-solid-cedar-top-baritone-slothead.html – is significantly better sounding for $60 more than the thinline/travel. I had one a few years ago, didn't spend enough time getting comfortable with the baritone size (and don't like slothead ukes), and sold it.

I still have the thin Kala baritone, but now am playing two Pono baritones (not at the same time, though). But then you're starting at $400 for a new one, through TUS/HMS.

Thanks, DaveY - Yeah, Ponos are in a different league, but Kala make some nice ukes for the dough. This is just an impulse buy for me, and probably will never be my go-to uke. I was just intrigued by the concept. Still mulling it over. Appreciate the feedback!

Love my Kala baritone travel uke. Too bad that KALA discontinued them.

I believe it has a rounded back, so would account for the higher price - I have a regular Kala cedar top bari, & love the tone, but just find the size & scale a bit awkward, for me.

I wanted a 'thin line', but my UAS got cured, (when I bought my KoAloha long neck concert). :)

Top Bottom