Playing Melody

RLM3121

Reaction score
Recently I had someone tell me that I shouldn’t waste time playing just the melody of a song. They said I should only concentrate on the chord melody. But sometimes I think it’s nice to play just the melody. It also help learn the song. Do any of you play the melodies only?

Last edited:
I think that I like it all.

It all depends as there's a time and place for all styles of playing. If you're playing in an ensemble, playing a single line melody makes sense because chords, bass, etc., are covered by other players and playing chord-melody style clutters the sound and diminishes the beauty of the melody. Plus you can make a single line melody sparkle with ornaments, vibrato, slides, etc.—that won't happen nearly so much if you're trying to toss in chords. However, all by yourself, a single line melody sounds plain without harmony but, like you mentioned, playing the straight melody is a step in learning a new song.

Last edited:
You can play just the melody. But the melody is in the chord. It is also easier to play in certain keys where there is less need for barre chords. Keys like G, C and F are easier.

An easy way to use a chord with a melody is to play the melody and merely pluck, or strum individually, the chord notes when there is a chord change or you want to add emphasis. You are not constantly playing a chord or atrial chord with every note. It does add a bit of variety to the sound.

It does help to learn different gapes for the same chord. You can also leave the 4th string open and play or not play with the chord.

No matter what you decide nothing played on a ukulele is a waste of time.

John

Last edited:
Recently I had someone tell me that I shouldn’t waste time playing just the melody of a song. They said I should only concentrate on the chord melody. But sometimes I think it’s nice to play just the melody. It also help learn the song. Do any of you play the melodies only?

I think that certain someone who told you that is full of...no, let's just say there are other viewpoints. Hearing a melody and being able to create it on your instrument is one of the most fundamental skills. Most of what I do is based on melody and fingerpicking. Of course, a person can take it too far. For example I could easily play the melody of Beethoven's 5th symphony, but I would lose a lot of texture of the music originally created by sixteen instruments (plus all the stringed instruments). So melody is great, but sometimes not appropriate. Here's something fun which will annoy everyone around you: play the melodies of conversations. The human conversational voice only has a few variations. So when someone speaks to you, it is easy, with practice, to play back immediately the pitches and cadence of what is being said to you. So obnoxious, but so rewarding!

But sometimes I think it’s nice to play just the melody.
Yes, it is, and if you're happy with it you're right. Anybody who tells you you're wasting your time is a complete <unmentionable>. The narrow exception is if it's solicited advice. Even so, skipping the simple melody and jumping straight to the chord melody seems like bad advice. Start at the very beginning (1-1-1-2-2-3-1-1) and then chord it up.

It also help learn the song. Do any of you play the melodies only?
Yes to both. Picking out a melody on its own brings me joy, it's a way to work on ear training, and it's a first step towards figuring out a chord melody. I really like chord melody, and getting better at it is one of my goals. It doesn't have to be your goal.

Ditto what everyone has said above. I play melody a lot. I also play other styles too. It’s all good. If you enjoy playing melody, keep doing it. If you sing out loud for fun (in the shower, or while driving or walking) you’re playing melody. Not a waste of time at all.

I play a lot of single line melodies. I also sometimes play harmony notes with the melody, or chord melody, or strum and sing (not all of them at once, mind you). It's your uke; you should play it in whatever style you feel like. If you're not enjoying the journey, what's the point? As you suggest, playing just the melody line allows you to really listen to the tune. To feel where it’s going and hear what story it's telling. That knowledge will help you bring more expression to your playing. It's not about how many notes you play. It’s about how well you play them. A melody line played expressively, with feeling and musicality, can move the soul. If melody lines make you happy, then play on!

Jan D.

Yes, I play melody lines 99% of the time, I prefer to hear the 'song' played as notes.

I'm no singer, but I did occasionally strum & 'sing' in the Seasons thread for a few years, as that is what most uke players do.

Presently I'm playing other instruments, (harmonicas, whistles & flutes), & they all play the melody line too.

My ambition was to play chord melody, but I never got around to it. Do your own thing, unless you need to play for others. :)

Wasting time? While playing a ukulele? That doesn't make any sense at all. When I have to start pleasing the Ukulele Police, I relocate.

When I'm strumming & singing with a group, my voice doesn't sound half bad, for the most part. But let me try to sing for an open mic and my voice seizes up like crazy. My vocal range is already limited, and throw in some nerves.....well it ain't pretty. I'm working on it, just like everything else. That's why I enjoy chord melodies. It's kind of like strumming chords and playing the single note melody meet somewhere in the middle and sound great. People know the song I'm playing, without my vocals making a mess of it, and it sounds lovely. At a recent jam, I played chord melody for "Bridge Over Troubled Waters." I asked the group to sing along softly if they felt the urge. About 25% of the group (the usual awesome singers) joined in. Their singing was beautiful, and it didn't overpower my playing (I was plugged in), but rather enhanced the whole thing.

I've written two original, but simple chord melodies of my own. Sometimes a chord progression just strikes me, and I start building a melody that I like. It's fun to experiment. It has encouraged me to play up the neck more, look for 2nd and 3rd positions, different fingerings.

Do what makes you happy is the bottom line. As Jerry put it so well above..... There is no such thing as wasting time while playing your ukulele.

I play single note melodies all the time. Especially if it is a new tune that I do not know. I play single note melody and watch my timing very carefully. I also try to find the tune on utube and play along with it. Now since I know chords well from piano playing, I go to work developing the chord melody. I also use single note melody to play a song from memory when I have no music score and then figure out the chords. Since my first music lesson at age 10, 70 plus years ago, I played mostly single note melody on clarinet and sax and never knew or used chords for maybe 20 years. When my wife strums chords on classical guitar I play mostly single notes. I have been a hobby musician for 70 plus years and I say to just play what you enjoy and to h--l with anyone who does not like it. Enjoy.

When I'm strumming & singing with a group, my voice doesn't sound half bad, for the most part. But let me try to sing for an open mic and my voice seizes up like crazy.

Funny, but I can identify with that. Groups are great for many reasons. I can sing quietly or just mouth the words. Going solo at a mic would be something else entirely. :p

I think that the next time you see that person, you turn around and go the other direction. I just avoid people who try to marginalize other's accomplishments in order to validate their own lack of any.

I played clarinet decades ago, single note melodies. 13 years ago I bought a guitar, found out from the internet where a scale fitted on the fretboard and used a Bob Dylan songbook to play the melody notes. I've continued on that way, nowadays picking melodies on ukuleles by ear. My brother-in-law is an enthusiastic member of the Guitar Police, and tells me "You're doing it WRONG." I ask him "Who makes these rules?" I make music for myself.

Ah by playing melody you mean playing single notes, as you would an electric guitar. I do that all the time, often up the neck crossing the strings. I thought it was just me doing it and it was 'wrong'

I've been watching Jay Ungar playing his fiddle. Ashokan Farewell and The Lover's Waltz and more. He doesn't sound too amateurish playing melody, in my opinion. My brother-in-law can't draw a crowd like Jay does.

Last edited:
I've been watching Jay Ungar playing his fiddle. Ashokan Farewell and The Lover's Waltz and more. He doesn't sound too amateurish playing melody, in my opinion. My brother-in-law can't draw a crowd like Jay does.

I live a few miles from Jay and his Ashokan Center. The town of Ashokan, where the Ashokan Reservoir got its name, no longer exists. I live in Shokan, which now encompasses what used to be Ashokan. Jay and Molly's Ashokan Center is a busy place, hosting, among other things, a ukulele festival over Memorial Day weekend. Jay's daughter, Molly, is a uke player and instructor and part of the group The Mammals.

Top Bottom