I'm Not an Artist

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I bought some acrylic paint and painted a Flea last night. The good news is that I can sand it and paint over it. Painting looks so easy until you try it. If I ever get it to the point where it looks acceptable, I'll post pictures. I have several Flukes I would like to paint, but...

I've thought of alternatives to painting one, like printing on clear plastic or gluing images to the top, but I'd prefer paint. Theoretically, adding anything to the top would affect the sound, but it's not going to make enough difference that I would notice.

At least I got it all done in one night.

I haven't tried painting any instruments, but have done a bit of spraying.

Trick is, to spray a light dusted tack coat on the first coat. And then a wet coat a few minutes later. But not so wet that it runs.

Spraying from 6 to 8 inches away works for me. Start at the top, from off the work, making a nice even pass, left to right (or right to left), continuing past the work. And then work your way down, with each pass overlapping about the bottom third to one half of the pass above.

Shouldn't need more than two or three light coats.

And matte finish clearcoats are much more forgiving than gloss.

Last edited:
I haven't tried painting any instruments, but have done a bit of spraying.

Trick is, to spray a light dusted tack coat on the first coat. And then a wet coat a few minutes later. But not so wet that it runs.

Spraying from 6 to 8 inches away works for me. Start at the top, from off the work, making a nice even pass, left to right (or right to left), continuing past the work. And then work your way down, with each pass overlapping about the bottom third to one half of the pass above.

Shouldn't need more than two or three light coats.

And matte finish clearcoats are much more forgiving than gloss.

Did you use a spray can from the store or an airbrush?

Bull to the title. You’re not an artist the way you're not a musician. Sitting down with the paints and getting them on your canvas is what makes an artist. Don't despair because you don’t start out an expert. You sucked the first time you picked up a uke. You kept at it. You got good. There’s only one way to get better, and you’re doing it! That’s cool in my book.

I am kind of imagining you with frizzy hair, the uke up in an easel, and calmly talking about happy little leaves as you dab them onto soundboard...

My stewmac kit is spray painted (good coverage with a few light coats) but needs a redo on some of the inlay and then the clear coat once it’s warm enough out. I don’t have the patience to paint an actual design. Love the idea though!

Last edited:
Did you use a spray can from the store or an airbrush?

Rattle can.

From what I've read, there is a made for guitar paint that you can buy online. But a lot of guys use Duplicolor Perfect Match, that is available at Autozone and Pep Boys around here.

Attachments

• 20190825_094732.jpg
    20190825_094732.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190903_205139~2.jpg
    20190903_205139~2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I'm not an artist, either, but it didn't stop me doing this to a uke.
The Scream, 2007.jpg

Done with tracing paper and carbon paper, then painted in using Humbrol modeling enamel.

John Colter

Hi Yuni,

It was a soprano I built myself from a Stew Mac kit, about twelve years ago. I gave the bare wood a light coat of spray lacquer (from a rattle can) so that the paint would not soak into the wood and spread. After painting the images, it was finished off with several more coats of clear lacquer. It's still going strong!

John Colter

Take your uke to the art class where the teacher can help you and keep you on track. Even if it takes two or three sessions, you will get a better job.

I was going to bring it tomorrow, but we'll be snowed-out. I'm going to give it another try today.

Go moderne . . . Just sand your painting off and splash some vivid colors and a few lines and squiggles around. Call it “A Splash Of Wild Hawaii”. People will be lined up to buy it. They buy anything nowadays.
:eek:ld:

Go moderne . . . Just sand your painting off and splash some vivid colors and a few lines and squiggles around. Call it “A Splash Of Wild Hawaii”. People will be lined up to buy it. They buy anything nowadays.
:eek:ld:

I thought of that - as a last resort. :D

Excellent! If only I had tracing paper - or carbon paper. :(

Do your drawing on a piece of tracing or plain copy paper.

Flip it over and using s #2 pencil (or softer), using the side of the lead, cover the sheet with graphite. Like you see in the movies when they try to reveal a message on the pad of paper that had been written on and the sheet has been removed. Flip it over. Position it. Tape it in place and gently use a ballpoint pen (or a sharp pencil) to trace your original. It will transfer the image to your surface. If you don't want to smear the pencil transfer, thin out some Gesso and seal the pencil by lightly painting the thinned Gesso over the entire surface. No need for tracing paper.

Do your drawing on a piece of tracing or plain copy paper.

Flip it over and using s #2 pencil (or softer), using the side of the lead, cover the sheet with graphite. Like you see in the movies when they try to reveal a message on the pad of paper that had been written on and the sheet has been removed. Flip it over. Position it. Tape it in place and gently use a ballpoint pen (or a sharp pencil) to trace your original. It will transfer the image to your surface. If you don't want to smear the pencil transfer, thin out some Gesso and seal the pencil by lightly painting the thinned Gesso over the entire surface. No need for tracing paper.

Clever. I spent some time with it yesterday, and I'm satisfied with the result. Then I started on another uke. Pictures to follow.

The good folks at Magic Fluke can provide just the tops to be painted. If you send it back they’ll turn it into a flea or fluke ukulele. It’s also probably easier to sand off just the tops.

They also do Dye Sublimation transfer to tops for graphics generated on computers or paper.

Lots of ways to express yourself, Jerry.

The good folks at Magic Fluke can provide just the tops to be painted. If you send it back they’ll turn it into a flea or fluke ukulele. It’s also probably easier to sand off just the tops.

They also do Dye Sublimation transfer to tops for graphics generated on computers or paper.

Lots of ways to express yourself, Jerry.

Yes, I know. They do a lot, and they're very friendly. It's really not that difficult painting a Flea or Fluke with the top attached. I'm satisfied with the way it turned out.

Top Bottom