Extra Sound Port in a Flea or Fluke

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Have any of you cut a second sound hold in the top side of a Flea or a Fluke? I bought a Fluke with the extra sound port, and I'm thinking of cutting one into a Flea. Of course once I start cutting, there's no going back. Making a hole is easy; making it look good - not so much.

EDIT: If I do this, I'm going to make the hole in the shape of a flea. My Cocobolos have an extra sound port shaped like a dog's paw, so this would be somewhat related. :)

Last edited:
Does the sound port really make any difference in the sound of the Fluke. Either in the players listening or the audience. I like the idea of making the sound port into the shape of a Fluke. Thanks......

Does the sound port really make any difference in the sound of the Fluke. Either in the players listening or the audience. I like the idea of making the sound port into the shape of a Fluke. Thanks......

Yes, it does make a difference. I have the port on several ukes, and covering it decreases the sound that I hear. I don't know about the audience, but I get more sound. Take a look at this demo by Beau Hannam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIIv7vK1Eo

If the fleas work out on the Flea, I plan to put a fluke on one of my Flukes.

Yes, it does make a difference. I have the port on several ukes, and covering it decreases the sound that I hear. I don't know about the audience, but I get more sound. Take a look at this demo by Beau Hannam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIIv7vK1Eo

If the fleas work out on the Flea, I plan to put a fluke on one of my Flukes.
You should reach out to magic fluke to get the spec for the hole. The size of the hole has an impact on sound, easy to make it big much harder to make it small. Start small and stop right before you think ideal sound has reached..

You should reach out to magic fluke to get the spec for the hole. The size of the hole has an impact on sound, easy to make it big much harder to make it small. Start small and stop right before you think ideal sound has reached..

I have one or two with that extra hole, so I could just copy it. Ideally, I would cut a flea into a Flea and a fluke into a Fluke. If I thoroughly mess it up, I can cover it with black electrical tape. :D

Top Bottom