Romero Creations ST Concert: Solid Spruce Top and Laminate Mahogany Back and Sides

Koaloha Krazy

Reaction score
I just purchased the Romero Creations ST concert ukulele with a solid spruce top and laminate mahogany back and sides. I was influenced by the review of it by Neo1022 from his February 2019 post. He wrote very highly of it and, after purchasing one, I agree with everything he said. I have owned a great many ukuleles and am a “solid wood snob”. I have owned quite a few solid wood Romero Creations ukes. A spruce and mahogany Tiny Tenor, a spalted mango XS soprano and a mahogany ST concert. They were all quiet instruments that did not satisfy my need for good projection. I did not keep them. Not presently owning a concert ukulele, I decided to try the spruce top/laminate body version after I read the positive review by Neo1020. It projects louder and clearer than any of the solid body versions I have tried. Overall, I am very impressed with the tone and the quality of build of this very reasonably priced instrument. So much so, that I wanted to take the time to post my review of it. It is a very clever design with a tenor size body that is deeper than the solid body equivalent and indeed sounds more like a tenor than most concerts I have played. That can, in part, be attributed to the Spruce top which adds to its tone and projection. And pairing it with a concert length fingerboard and undersized headstock makes for a substantial instrument in a small package.
I am not certain as to why they have been discontinued, but, I am glad I got one before they are gone. The added benefit of the size and the laminate body is that it is a great traveling ukulele that sounds better than most traveling ukes and does not break the bank. In conclusion, the RCST Spruce Top Concert ukulele gives you a lot of bang for your buck.

Last edited:
Congrats on your ST Concert. This particular ST Concert was high on my list too. But I’m a little taken aback by your comment that the tiny tenor, XS and other ST concerts that you owned are quiet. I would expect that they are as loud as a typical Koaloha uke or even louder. That very design (deep body, wide bottom, no double bout and large soundhole) is simply to project a bigger volume.

I have owned quite a few Koaloha ukes. Still do. They are justifiably known for their excellent projection. The Romero Creations Tiny Tenor, XS Soprano and ST Concert, not so much. The interesting thing, as pointed out by Neo1020 and I have also experienced, at least with my ST Concert, is that the body of the spruce/laminate is deeper than the solid wood versions. That, along with the solid spruce top, results in an improved tonal projection.

I just purchased the Romero Creations ST concert ukulele with a solid spruce top and laminate mahogany back and sides. I was influenced by the review of it by Neo1022 from his February 2019 post. He wrote very highly of it and, after purchasing one, I agree with everything he said. I have owned a great many ukuleles and am a “solid wood snob”. I have owned quite a few solid wood Romero Creations ukes. A spruce and mahogany Tiny Tenor, a spalted mango XS soprano and a mahogany ST concert. They were all quiet instruments that did not satisfy my need for good projection. I did not keep them. Not presently owning a concert ukulele, I decided to try the spruce top/laminate body version after I read the positive review by Neo1020. It projects louder and clearer than any of the solid body versions I have tried. Overall, I am very impressed with the tone and the quality of build of this very reasonably priced instrument. So much so, that I wanted to take the time to post my review of it. It is a very clever design with a tenor size body that is wider than the solid body equivalent and indeed sounds more like a tenor than most concerts I have played. And pairing it with a concert length fingerboard and undersized headstock makes for a substantial instrument in a small package.
I am not certain as to why they have been discontinued, but, I am glad I got one before they are gone. The added benefit of the size and the laminate body is that it is a great traveling ukulele that sounds better than most traveling ukes and does not break the bank. In conclusion, the RCST Spruce Top Concert ukulele gives you a lot of bang for the buck.

I agree with you with every positive aspect you've described. I added Worth Browns (strings) and -as well as the volume and sustain- the added warmth and ease of playing was significant. I acquired mine from Uke Republic, and was pleased they had a case that fit!

Anyhow, I've decided to part with mine. With some recent other acquisitions, I'm just not playing it at all and am feeling guilty that someone out there might get enjoyment out of it if I let it go. Rather than further hijack your post, if anyone is interested in a deal, PM me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom