Something is strange

GreyPoupon

Reaction score
I have a new custom uke in which the C string just sounds...strange.

It's in tune, and it holds the note, but it just has a certain clunkiness to it that the other strings do not have.

Is this common, for one string to be out of whack in regards to tone or vibrancy?

Any possible remedy?

I recently went through this with my Bushman Jenny. When you plucked an F note, it just sounded dead. No sustain at all. All other notes sounded fine. Went thru 3 sets of strings before I convinced myself the problem was with the uke, not the strings.
I just sent it back to Bushman for a replacement.

So yours may not like C notes. Try this: adjust the tuning up or down a step or two and see if the "clunkiness" moves with it. If it does, then odds are it's the uke.

Have you talked to the builder about the problem? He should be able to provide a fix . . .

It could be the saddle. The saddle tranfers the energy of the plucked string to the top and from there it gets translated into sound. If the saddle is bone, it may have a section where the density is not consistent under that string. This is actually somewhat common with bone, since it's an organic material.

Ask the builder to send another saddle - see if it makes a difference.

I have a new custom uke in which the C string just sounds...strange.

It's in tune, and it holds the note, but it just has a certain clunkiness to it that the other strings do not have.

Is this common, for one string to be out of whack in regards to tone or vibrancy?

Any possible remedy?

Could be the nut is not cut right on that string or could be a bad sting. If it is a custom uke, call the builder.

Thank you for the input. The luthier is being very helpful and responsive.

For some reason I was shy about bringing up the problem with him...

Top Bottom