1940s/50s Regal Jungle Uke Preservation?

SeanWDickens

Reaction score
Hey all,

My mother recently found two Regal Jungle Ukes in her father's basement. I've been working on preserving them, and so far I've just cleaned the felt and the hardware. There is some separation in the seams of the fabric covering the ukulele.

Should I move forward with repairs? I know this is a fairly sought after uke, and I'm not sure what the typical procedure is at this point. If i should close the separations, what adhesive should I use? Any and all help is appreciated. Picture attached.
jungle.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I was not familiar with Regal's Jungle Ukulele. However I can't think of anything more than would kill the response of an ukulele top than to cover it with felt. I think these were novelty ukuleles and not really meant to be seriously played... I can understand how they might be collectible however. How sought after I cannot say.

If you are serious about restoring them I would say don't do it. Sometimes "fixing" something like this actually decreases their value. Original condition can be everything to collectors. Especially if you restore it badly. Perhaps just get the dirt and grunge of off the felt and call it a day. Mild soap and water.

Jungle Ukes! It's killing me!

(oh my God!!! I just looked one up and it is selling for a cool $1,000. And he has two of them!)

Last edited:
$1000 ???
Can anyone point me to a source for that ostentatious, yet somehow strangely alluring, jungle print.
I've got some ukuleles to cover.

Last edited:
Actually, they are asking $2,000 dollars for one on Ebay.

Fullscreen capture 12172019 80412 AM.jpg

You know you always wanted one of these babies. $2,000 is cheap!

jungle.jpg jungle2.jpg

I would be interested to know these might actually sell for. You sometimes see ridiculous asking prices that are not reality.

I have also checked out those 2k listings. It seems like it's the same uke posted to a bunch of different sites, so I would say it's probably not reasonable. That said, mine seem to be in much better condition. I've decided just to get the dirt and dust off them, restring the one that still has a bridge, and call it a day.

If there is damage to the ukulele, it should be fixed in the same way one would fix any wood ukulele, using appropriate glue (hide glue) and cleats where necessary. Nothing different about repairing a Jungle ukulele except that you have to take into account the fabric covering it. Depending on the damage, it may not be advisable to string it up until repaired. I can't tell from that picture what the damage is to the one with a bridge.

If you want to send me the one without a bridge I'd gladly make a bridge for it and it will have the chance to get to be close friends with the many other vintage ukuleles at my house...

You'll have to throw those in the washer to clean them up. Maybe a touch of fabric softener to get 'em feeling soft. And use a low setting on the dryer, don't want to turn them into sopraninos. :eek:

I saw a video of one from Ukulele Mania. Surprisingly, it sounded pretty much like any other uke.

The wood on the nicer one is 100% solid, as for the other- there is a crack running down the back that can be seen through the soundhole.

If there is damage to the ukulele, it should be fixed in the same way one would fix any wood ukulele, using appropriate glue (hide glue) and cleats where necessary. Nothing different about repairing a Jungle ukulele except that you have to take into account the fabric covering it. Depending on the damage, it may not be advisable to string it up until repaired. I can't tell from that picture what the damage is to the one with a bridge.

If you want to send me the one without a bridge I'd gladly make a bridge for it and it will have the chance to get to be close friends with the many other vintage ukuleles at my house...

Here are some better pics of the nice one.

uke1front.jpg uke1back.jpg hardware.jpg

Top Bottom