I want a new ukulele. How does the Applause UAE20 Acoustic-Electric sound?

Samster

Reaction score
I've been playing the ukulele since the christmas before last, i got a cheap ukulele off my aunty, after falling in love with it, i bought a fluke (tenor with the rosewood fretboard upgrade with surf design) which i have been so happy with.

But id quite like a new one, no problems with the fluke id just like a change. i was in a hop and i had a play of an Applause UAE20 Acoustic-Electric Deluxe Soprano Ukulele. i really liked it, but i was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with them?

ive read the review on here and i cant make up my mind.

any thoughts?

Thank you for your time

My brother has one and he likes it. I've played it and it's a good instrument, although not much in the way of volume. There are better ukes for the price, IMO. Mainland, Ohana, Kala, Lanikai are great brands. If you like the Fluke, the Flea would be a good companion uke. You can get most of those with a pick-up if you're wanting that.

it's a popular uke but i feel the design sucks a lot of people in. i'm personally not a fan of how it looks but i've not played it either so i can't comment on the sound! i've never really read bad reviews about it so i assume it's pretty good instrument but as UKISOCIETY says - you can get better value for your money. let us know what you go for! :)

it wasnt the pick up i was botherd about, just an added extra i guess. i live in england, and there isnt a large range of ukes availible instore, and when i order abroad, ive gotta pay inport tax, which for my fluke cost me £40.

im not the most careful with my ukes either, and i thought this one looked a tad more rugged than the rest.

does your brother have any problems with it?

thank you for your help btw

Sam

it wasnt the pick up i was botherd about, just an added extra i guess. i live in england, and there isnt a large range of ukes availible instore, and when i order abroad, ive gotta pay inport tax, which for my fluke cost me £40.

im not the most careful with my ukes either, and i thought this one looked a tad more rugged than the rest.

does your brother have any problems with it?

thank you for your help btw

Sam

He dropped it and now it has a small crack coming from the sound hole. Still plays like it used to.

people always take about how carful they are with them. but im a clumsy 16 year old. i think my flukes been droped more times than ive had hot meals. i really do try to becareful, and thats whats stoping me getting a more traditional delicate ukulele

people always take about how carful they are with them. but im a clumsy 16 year old. i think my flukes been droped more times than ive had hot meals. i really do try to becareful, and thats whats stoping me getting a more traditional delicate ukulele

I agree with Ukisociety - get a mainland or a Ohana of solid wood. In the long run I think that's what you'd most happy with. I think there's a big difference with a good quality solid instrument and a laminate. And they age better too.

I don't think those instruments are so fragile you'd break it if you avoid sitting on it.

And perhaps if you have more hot meals, you'd get less clumsy?

Good luck!

I've taken my Ohana sopranino to Siberia and back - twice - without a case. It's been banged up, dropped, scraped on the floor, strings pulled, smacked on the back - all by a 2-year-old, and it still plays great.

I've taken my Ohana sopranino to Siberia and back - twice - without a case. It's been banged up, dropped, scraped on the floor, strings pulled, smacked on the back - all by a 2-year-old, and it still plays great.

Maybe you need more hot meals too.

Those sopraninos are rock solid! I once went into a redneck biker bar and used it as a weapon. I also lost a paddle and had to use it in some class 5 rapids.Whilst working as a body guard I deflected a bullet from a high profile....Okay I made that stuff up, but they are tough. I did drop a bag of cotton balls on my Ohana and it plays great still!:D

I agree with Ukisociety - get a mainland or a Ohana of solid wood. In the long run I think that's what you'd most happy with. I think there's a big difference with a good quality solid instrument and a laminate. And they age better too.

I don't think those instruments are so fragile you'd break it if you avoid sitting on it.

And perhaps if you have more hot meals, you'd get less clumsy?

Good luck!

Im at college now so im only on a part time wage so im skint and dont have that much money to play with. i just thought it was a good looking one. i know there will be better ones, but i just wanted to know it it is a pile of rubbish aha

Those sopraninos are rock solid! I once went into a redneck biker bar and used it as a weapon. I also lost a paddle and had to use it in some class 5 rapids.Whilst working as a body guard I deflected a bullet from a high profile....Okay I made that stuff up, but they are tough. I did drop a bag of cotton balls on my Ohana and it plays great still!:D

now thats the sort of stuff i need it to stand up to!

hectic life of a student and all ;)

Im at college now so im only on a part time wage so im skint and dont have that much money to play with. i just thought it was a good looking one. i know there will be better ones, but i just wanted to know it it is a pile of rubbish aha

Then I would stick with the Fluke - which is a great instrument - and save up a little longer. That would probably save you money in the long run, instead of buying something that isn't really better than the fluke and then go looking for a new uke again in six months.

If you're tired of the sound of the fluke, try laborating with different strings. They can really make huge difference in a uke.

Im going to america for christmas, so im going to buy a high quality one, a more traditional one, its the same with strings over here aswell, a part from aquilas and martin thats about it you can get, i do order some off the tinterweb because the deliverys cheap, i think its like the bright funky tone im getting a bit tired of, ive got some on now and its about as less bright and chirpy as its ever sounded and i do like it better now.

i think i just want a collection going really,

ive got about £450 ($740) to get a more decent one in america, its just till then really

Im going to america for christmas, so im going to buy a high quality one, a more traditional one, its the same with strings over here aswell, a part from aquilas and martin thats about it you can get, i do order some off the tinterweb because the deliverys cheap, i think its like the bright funky tone im getting a bit tired of, ive got some on now and its about as less bright and chirpy as its ever sounded and i do like it better now.

i think i just want a collection going really,

ive got about £450 ($740) to get a more decent one in america, its just till then really

If you get to come to Atlanta swing on by. We will get you a HQ ukulele and a big bowl of grits to try. Atlanta has the world of Coca Cola, A huge aquarium and other great tourist attractions.Plus great restaurants like Taco Bell and KFC:biglaugh:

Applause Uae20 - Is it too Twangy, Or quiet?

i have acces to limited ukes (my local store)

and this is my favourite i think.

i just need to know, theres been a mixed range of reviews

can i have your oppinions?

Top Bottom