PDA

View Full Version : I want a new ukulele. How does the Applause UAE20 Acoustic-Electric sound?

Samster
06-03-2009, 03:52 AM
I've been playing the ukulele since the christmas before last, i got a cheap ukulele off my aunty, after falling in love with it, i bought a fluke (tenor with the rosewood fretboard upgrade with surf design) which i have been so happy with.

But id quite like a new one, no problems with the fluke id just like a change. i was in a hop and i had a play of an Applause UAE20 Acoustic-Electric Deluxe Soprano Ukulele. i really liked it, but i was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with them?

ive read the review on here and i cant make up my mind.

any thoughts?

Thank you for your time

UKISOCIETY
06-03-2009, 04:00 AM
My brother has one and he likes it. I've played it and it's a good instrument, although not much in the way of volume. There are better ukes for the price, IMO. Mainland, Ohana, Kala, Lanikai are great brands. If you like the Fluke, the Flea would be a good companion uke. You can get most of those with a pick-up if you're wanting that.

ukeshale
06-03-2009, 04:04 AM
it's a popular uke but i feel the design sucks a lot of people in. i'm personally not a fan of how it looks but i've not played it either so i can't comment on the sound! i've never really read bad reviews about it so i assume it's pretty good instrument but as UKISOCIETY says - you can get better value for your money. let us know what you go for! :)

Samster
06-03-2009, 04:05 AM
it wasnt the pick up i was botherd about, just an added extra i guess. i live in england, and there isnt a large range of ukes availible instore, and when i order abroad, ive gotta pay inport tax, which for my fluke cost me 40.

im not the most careful with my ukes either, and i thought this one looked a tad more rugged than the rest.

does your brother have any problems with it?

thank you for your help btw

Sam

Kanaka916
06-03-2009, 04:08 AM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13653
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1019

Samster
06-03-2009, 04:13 AM
thank you!

UKISOCIETY
06-03-2009, 04:14 AM
it wasnt the pick up i was botherd about, just an added extra i guess. i live in england, and there isnt a large range of ukes availible instore, and when i order abroad, ive gotta pay inport tax, which for my fluke cost me 40.

im not the most careful with my ukes either, and i thought this one looked a tad more rugged than the rest.

does your brother have any problems with it?

thank you for your help btw

Sam

He dropped it and now it has a small crack coming from the sound hole. Still plays like it used to.

Samster
06-03-2009, 04:18 AM
people always take about how carful they are with them. but im a clumsy 16 year old. i think my flukes been droped more times than ive had hot meals. i really do try to becareful, and thats whats stoping me getting a more traditional delicate ukulele

Baron K
06-03-2009, 04:32 AM
people always take about how carful they are with them. but im a clumsy 16 year old. i think my flukes been droped more times than ive had hot meals. i really do try to becareful, and thats whats stoping me getting a more traditional delicate ukulele

I agree with Ukisociety - get a mainland or a Ohana of solid wood. In the long run I think that's what you'd most happy with. I think there's a big difference with a good quality solid instrument and a laminate. And they age better too.

I don't think those instruments are so fragile you'd break it if you avoid sitting on it.

And perhaps if you have more hot meals, you'd get less clumsy?

Good luck!

UKISOCIETY
06-03-2009, 04:32 AM
I've taken my Ohana sopranino to Siberia and back - twice - without a case. It's been banged up, dropped, scraped on the floor, strings pulled, smacked on the back - all by a 2-year-old, and it still plays great.

Baron K
06-03-2009, 04:34 AM
I've taken my Ohana sopranino to Siberia and back - twice - without a case. It's been banged up, dropped, scraped on the floor, strings pulled, smacked on the back - all by a 2-year-old, and it still plays great.

Maybe you need more hot meals too.

UKISOCIETY
06-03-2009, 04:41 AM
Maybe you need more hot meals too.

That is always the case!

Uke Republic
06-03-2009, 04:46 AM
Those sopraninos are rock solid! I once went into a redneck biker bar and used it as a weapon. I also lost a paddle and had to use it in some class 5 rapids.Whilst working as a body guard I deflected a bullet from a high profile....Okay I made that stuff up, but they are tough. I did drop a bag of cotton balls on my Ohana and it plays great still!:D

Samster
06-03-2009, 04:49 AM
I agree with Ukisociety - get a mainland or a Ohana of solid wood. In the long run I think that's what you'd most happy with. I think there's a big difference with a good quality solid instrument and a laminate. And they age better too.

I don't think those instruments are so fragile you'd break it if you avoid sitting on it.

And perhaps if you have more hot meals, you'd get less clumsy?

Good luck!

Im at college now so im only on a part time wage so im skint and dont have that much money to play with. i just thought it was a good looking one. i know there will be better ones, but i just wanted to know it it is a pile of rubbish aha

Samster
06-03-2009, 04:51 AM
Those sopraninos are rock solid! I once went into a redneck biker bar and used it as a weapon. I also lost a paddle and had to use it in some class 5 rapids.Whilst working as a body guard I deflected a bullet from a high profile....Okay I made that stuff up, but they are tough. I did drop a bag of cotton balls on my Ohana and it plays great still!:D

now thats the sort of stuff i need it to stand up to!

hectic life of a student and all ;)

Baron K
06-03-2009, 04:57 AM
Im at college now so im only on a part time wage so im skint and dont have that much money to play with. i just thought it was a good looking one. i know there will be better ones, but i just wanted to know it it is a pile of rubbish aha

Then I would stick with the Fluke - which is a great instrument - and save up a little longer. That would probably save you money in the long run, instead of buying something that isn't really better than the fluke and then go looking for a new uke again in six months.

If you're tired of the sound of the fluke, try laborating with different strings. They can really make huge difference in a uke.

Samster
06-03-2009, 05:11 AM
Im going to america for christmas, so im going to buy a high quality one, a more traditional one, its the same with strings over here aswell, a part from aquilas and martin thats about it you can get, i do order some off the tinterweb because the deliverys cheap, i think its like the bright funky tone im getting a bit tired of, ive got some on now and its about as less bright and chirpy as its ever sounded and i do like it better now.

i think i just want a collection going really,

ive got about 450 ($740) to get a more decent one in america, its just till then really

Uke Republic
06-03-2009, 05:55 AM
Im going to america for christmas, so im going to buy a high quality one, a more traditional one, its the same with strings over here aswell, a part from aquilas and martin thats about it you can get, i do order some off the tinterweb because the deliverys cheap, i think its like the bright funky tone im getting a bit tired of, ive got some on now and its about as less bright and chirpy as its ever sounded and i do like it better now.

i think i just want a collection going really,

ive got about 450 ($740) to get a more decent one in america, its just till then really

If you get to come to Atlanta swing on by. We will get you a HQ ukulele and a big bowl of grits to try. Atlanta has the world of Coca Cola, A huge aquarium and other great tourist attractions.Plus great restaurants like Taco Bell and KFC:biglaugh:

Samster
06-04-2009, 05:55 AM
i have acces to limited ukes (my local store)

and this is my favourite i think.

i just need to know, theres been a mixed range of reviews

can i have your oppinions?

06-04-2009, 06:04 AM
not to be mean, but why did you start a whole new thread when you could have just bumped up your old post about the same instrument?

Samster
06-04-2009, 06:36 AM
bumped up? what do you mean?

06-04-2009, 06:50 AM
BUMP = Bring Up My Post.

if you posted in your original thread it would have come back to the top. e kala mai, but i'm one of those sticklers against creating new posts for roughly the same question.

Samster
06-04-2009, 06:56 AM
aha im lost

so what do i do to bring it back up again?

Intrigued
06-04-2009, 07:11 AM
You just post a reply to it. That will bring it to the top (below stickies).

I would go ahead and steer clear of doing that now that you've already posted a new thread about it, it would be silly to have the 2 of them at the top.

It is considered to be poor internet ettiquette to create a new post with roughly the same question as you've had before. Likewise it's generally considered bad ettiquette to be repeatedly bumping your own threads, or bumping really old threads.

If you can't get the answers you want pretty soon the first time you post your question, it's possible that there just isn't anyone with the knowledge to help. This is especially true in very specific situations like yours (asking for experience with a certain model uke). You're also asking for totally anecdotal evidence, when you already have reviews. Seems like you may just be looking for someone to tell you it's a good instrument, so you don't feel bad about buying it against the reviews.

If you like it, and it's your best option, go for it, that's the best advice I can give.

Samster
06-04-2009, 07:23 AM
aha well sorry for reposting this then.

i kind of think that, i do want someone to say its worth buying, but all the reviews ive read are like extremes, people saying its really good, or really bad, they all seem a bit biased.

ill delete this thread now and stop taking up so much cyber space aha

thank you

ukantor
06-04-2009, 07:24 AM
For what it's worth, a friend of mine has an Applause. He bought it second hand about five years ago. Second hand? More like fourth or fifth - it had been round the block a few times, and had a split in the front. He stuck some gaffa tape over the split. It sounded fine. Then a couple of years ago the split was getting really serious so he attempted a repair. The result was not pretty, but it worked, and it still sounded fine.

Seasick Steve would be proud to own that old Applause; it looks very disreputable in a jaunty, unashamed way.

Did I mention that it sounds fine?

I have a high opinion of them.

Ukantor.

Samster
06-04-2009, 07:29 AM
aha

so would you say it sounded fine then or what?

joke

thak you for that. i think i might just get it,

at the end of the day even if its not the best ukulele ever

its still a ukulele

Intrigued
06-04-2009, 07:39 AM
Hey, yeah, I hope I didn't put you on the defensive or anything. It's tough whenever you are trying to tell someone about etiquette and what they should/shouldn't be doing. It sounded like you were genuinely unaware and curious, so I thought I'd fill you in.

I wish I could help you out, but I don't have the model, nor any uke at this particular time. So that might explain why I have more to say on the subject of netiquette than ukes :P.

I agree heartily with your final sentiment, and as I said before, if you like the sound of it, you should be happy. When someone writes a review about something being too twangy, it could easily just be the individual bad egg that they have, or it could have to do with setup/strings, you really can't know unless you have it in your hands.

Of course, if you are in for ordering things online (which may have prohibitive shipping costs based on your location), that opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

edit:
You also may want to check out youtube, and see if you can find videos of people with that model.

Thumper
06-04-2009, 07:42 AM
If you have played one and you liked it, go ahead and buy it.

If you've never played one, I'd make an effort to play one before buying it. The one I played was way too quiet for me to enjoy playing acoustically, but some people like them just fine.

Samster
06-04-2009, 07:43 AM
aha no dont worry

id rather be told so i know for the future. thank you for it :)

when i purchased my fluke, i ended up paying 62 ($100) more than i would of, liek by import tax and shipping, so everything is way more expensive. it really annoys me. im stuck with a choice of around 8 in the only shop i can find that sells them

Samster
06-04-2009, 07:48 AM
If you have played one and you liked it, go ahead and buy it.

If you've never played one, I'd make an effort to play one before buying it. The one I played was way too quiet for me to enjoy playing acoustically, but some people like them just fine.

oh so you've played it?

i played it once, it didnt seem so quite, but that might be because i was in a totally nes environment, it would be a bit difficult if it were too quite,

i think i may go back to the shop and have another play

Thumper
06-04-2009, 07:53 AM
I played one a couple of weeks ago, and found it was much more quiet than my cheap Lanikai soprano. I think it looks great, but I would only find it useful for playing through an amp. And despite its plastic body, it sounds nothing like a Flea.

PS - it had thin black strings. I suspect it would be louder with different strings - lots of people think Aquilas help bring up the volume of less expensive ukes....

Samster
06-04-2009, 07:59 AM
I played one a couple of weeks ago, and found it was much more quiet than my cheap Lanikai soprano. I think it looks great, but I would only find it useful for playing through an amp. And despite its plastic body, it sounds nothing like a Flea.

i find my self sure i want it

then ill here something new about it and no longer want it lol

i wouldnt want it if it was quiet quiet

i think the best thing is for me to go back in and have a play

seeso
06-04-2009, 10:42 AM
I'll merge the two threads now.

jtafaro
07-13-2009, 08:05 AM
I have an Applause and really like it. I put Aquila strings on it and it does fine accoustically BUT with an Amp it's much better. The onboard controls are first rate. It is a bit expensive but I think it was worth it.

Joe T

cornfedgroove
07-13-2009, 04:34 PM
what kinda of budget we talking bout?? i dont know if i saw that

SailorQwest
07-13-2009, 04:59 PM
We have two of them. They seem rugged but the sound doesn't comare to a solid wood uke. They are realativly quiet.

ricdoug
07-13-2009, 07:54 PM
I own two UAE20's and they are both superb instruments. My stained black one is almost two years old and the sound is loud and rich with harmonics. They do open up with time and playing. I use Aquila Concert Nylgut strings on mine. I notice many posts in this thread state they do not own/play a UAE20. The UAE20 is also a solid spruce top and not a laminate:

http://www.kamanmusic.com/img/pdf/Applause2004.pdf

Read this accurate review on page 8:

http://www.tricornpublications.com/issue1.pdf

It's the UAE148 tenor that is a laminate. I own and play several of the mentioned brands and recommend the UAE20. Many in our large club have made offers on my older black one. 3 words - "Ain't gonna' happen"! They can break in their own. Go back to your local shop and try them out again. Ric

MonMon87
07-13-2009, 08:25 PM
I have the tenor version and I LOVE IT. It's a bit quiet when not plugged in but other than that I have no complaints.

Captain_Lovehandles
07-14-2009, 01:17 AM
I am an Ovation/Adamas guitar enthusiast. Over at the Ovation Club, we have several uke players and one resident uke "expert". Here is his take on the subject:

The applause ukes are cute, but I would shy away from them unless you are a 100% homer. They just don't play or sound like a real ukulele should.

Hope that helps.