Snark H.Z. Tuner

Wooville

Reaction score
Maysville, Kentucky "on the banks of the Ohio"
I don't know if any of you have experienced this or not, but the Snark H.Z. model tuner Will Not tune a ukulele in hertz. You can tune like a normal snark ok, but the H.Z. function is useless, even though it claims to tune all instruments. It works fine on all my other instruments, my Martin, upright bass, 23" bass, tenor guitar, etc. It's a totally cool tuner for a guitar and bass! Just be aware.

I use these two Snarks:

Snark ST-2 Multi-Instrument Chromatic Tuner
Has both a microphone and vibration setting. Plus, it can be set for a particular Hz.

Snark SN6X Clip-On Tuner for Ukulele
This model was the current ukulele tuner when I bought it a year ago. Vibration only. 440 Hz. (It was mistakenly listed as a guitar tuner on Amazon.)

I don't know if any of you have experienced this or not, but the Snark H.Z. model tuner Will Not tune a ukulele in hertz. You can tune like a normal snark ok, but the H.Z. function is useless, even though it claims to tune all instruments. It works fine on all my other instruments, my Martin, upright bass, 23" bass, tenor guitar, etc. It's a totally cool tuner for a guitar and bass! Just be aware.

That's what I found. I returned my h.z. tuner to amazon.

I felt that changing the Hz changed the total pitch of the tuning for the four strings.

For example, if you raised the Hz to A=450hz (instead of A=440hz) the A will be a little bit sharp and so will the tuning on the other strings.
If you went down to A=430, they would all be a little flat. The regular Hz for gcea is g 392, c 261, e 329, a 440. So I would imagine that lowering the Hz on the A to 430hz would also lower the tuning on the other strings by 10hz.

I don't believe that you are able to tune each string by the Hz display on the tuner. It's just a reference to A.

Not that it really matters to me, the Snark H.Z. packaging claims it to be " A guitar, bass, and All instrument tuner." I just think folks ought to know that it's probably not gonna work on your ukulele. Wasn't a problem for me, I'll just use it on other instruments. It's really a cool tuner (when it works)!

A scientific way of looking at a scale is that it is 12 ratios, all related to a reference audio frequency. We call the ratios "intervals" in music. So if you start with the A note and apply the 12 intervals or ratios you get a set of 12 notes in a chromatic scale. The set of ratios or intervals is also called a "Temperament" in music. The ratios have been calculated so that music theory works when you play the notes: for example they are calculated so that when you stack the root, 3rd and 5th, the audio frequencies actually work together to make a nice harmonious chord.

The standard used for design and construction is to use A as the reference note and to set it to 440Hz. 440Hz is not a prison which players are forced to stick to. It is just a design number in the middle of a range so that dimensions can be calculated in the design stage. The player has the freedom to select A = 430Hz to 450Hz to get the sound they want, in general. When they tune the A note, the musical instrument is made to apply the 12 intervals or ratios to create the other notes. A higher frequency for A will make all the notes higher, and a lower frequency for A will make all the other notes lower.

Going back to the Snark Hz-1 Guitar and Bass Tuner. It is sold as a Guitar and Bass tuner. The user manual shows frequencies which are generated by the interval ratios when A = 440Hz. If you want to use another A note pitch, you need to recalculate all the pitches, there are tables on the internet. I have no idea how the HF-1 detects the audio frequency, but I suspect it may require more sustain or energy than you can get on a ukulele, so it just wont work on a ukulele which is why the Snark company sell it as a Guitar and Bass tuner. Its a cheap lesson to learn that tuners are just tuners, there are some which wont work on a trumpet or violin or ukulele.

Confirming that the HF-1 does not work for a ukulele is probably a useful public service because some of the advertising is not clear on it being for guitar and bass. It would be interesting to see if it does work when you plug into an amp and cad get more sustain and a hight sound energy level.

Interesting info Bill1. Thanks.

I never understood the hits tuning thing when I bought mine. Here is my take away. The joint at the tuner body to the clip on mechanism is way stronger and shorter. Big p,us for me as four regular snakes all broke at that ball joint. The size is like 33% smaller yet the screen view is excellent. Big plus for me. Finally, the screen is super bright. Batteries last a long time. Fits mt best tune and tracks very fast. So, it works great on ukulele as a standard tuner. I don’t care about hurts. I always keep at 440 hrs. I really like mine!

Top Bottom