What do you think of---

lefty dan

Reaction score
Hi guys. My name is Dan and I just started playing ukulele. I built two ukuleles from kits. The first was a Stew Mac kit. it is a soprano all solid mahogany. The second was a Grizzy kit. Also soprano but I'm sure its mahogany plywood. They turned out OK and I'm playing them. I have no uku experience.
What do you guys think about the two kits? Are they good enough to be done or do you think I will still need a good factury built soprano. Gotta be better sounding than the 49.00 one??
This could be fun.
Dan

Last edited:
I've seen people make some pretty awesome instruments out of kits like that, some have come out far better than anything you could buy for a couple hundred dollars, it all depends on your wood working skills I guess. How did yours turn out? Got any pictures?

The Grizzly kit is great as a starter for someone with low skills. the Stewmac is a great kit IF you modify it - reshape the neck (heel and back) and headstock, get rid of that disgusting bridge. You've done well to get this far. Carry on and along the way, learn how to play - it's not that challenging!

kit ukulele

I'm not concerned with the looks as much as the sound. The stewmac is solid mahogany. I hope it sounds good. I think I will be going to a uku jam this weekend and see what others with more experence than me think.
zenking

Last edited:
The Stew Mac kit can be made up into a really good ukulele, with or without modification. It can hold its own against many high end production ukes, and even some made by well known luthiers.

Ukantor.

I have considered buying one of these kits. So based on all of the comments I should start with the grizzly kit?

I have considered buying one of these kits. So based on all of the comments I should start with the grizzly kit?

I have been researching this very same thing myself.

What I have come to see as a natural progression is...

1) Grizzly
2) StewMac
3) Hana Lima
4) Bob Gleason's kits.

For me this seems to help the learning curve and lead me up to the big project...Bob Gleason's kits.

I have been researching this very same thing myself.

What I have come to see as a natural progression is...

1) Grizzly
2) StewMac
3) Hana Lima
4) Bob Gleason's kits.

For me this seems to help the learning curve and lead me up to the big project...Bob Gleason's kits.

I wouldn't leave Pete Howlett's kits off of that list. :D

Are you sure you want to stick with only soprano's? I sort of had the same mind set until I got a concert. They're like a gateway uke that opens you up to tenors. Now I'm fully addicted to tenors!:D

Top Bottom