Suggestions needed: Songs for Wedding

Martinlover

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
My daughter is getting married and wants me to write an original ukulele song for the reception to be performed with her mother-in-law to be. The MIL is a choir director so I think we have the singing down. I would like us to do a 3 song set. 2 covers and finish with the original.

Would love to hear about songs you’ve performed at weddings and any other advice. Thanks in advance UU community.

Well, our wedding waltz was to "Come Away With Me" by Norah Jones. That one might work.

How sentimental do you want to get? I'd recommend that you ask the bride and groom to be, what their favorite music is. And go from there.

But for shear sentimentality you can't go much deeper than:

"Wedding Song" by Noel Paul Stookey of Peter, Paul & Mary, or
"Turn Around", I don't know who wrote it but it was performed by the Brothers Four, Harry Belafonte and many others.

Let the bride choose the music for maximum peace over the next 20 years.

Man gives his wife two dozen roses on their 30th anniversary.
“One for every happy year of marriage. twenty-four out of thirty isn’t bad!”, he says.
Wife promptly tosses five of the roses in the trash and places the rest in a vase.

If you can’t keep a sense of humor about things, it ain’t gonna last.
Good luck with the wedding.

Man gives his wife two dozen roses on their 30th anniversary.
“One for every happy year of marriage. twenty-four out of thirty isn’t bad!”, he says.
Wife promptly tosses five of the roses in the trash and places the rest in a vase.

If you can’t keep a sense of humor about things, it ain’t gonna last.
Good luck with the wedding.

Or, "I was married for twenty blissful years. The last fifteen have been hell." :D

The music and everything else. Happy wife, happy home. :)

And happy life.

When Wife said my uke playing is too loud while she is watching her drama, I lightly brush the strings.

I did ask what they would like but they want it to be a surprise and we mothers are just doing a 10-12 minute set. I am actually thinking of doing “You and I” as one song because there is good advice in there for buying us parents a home in the south of France. :) So maybe one light song, one sweet song and then I have no idea about the original, which we’ll try to co-write.

Last edited:
I did ask what they would like but they want it to be a surprise and we mothers are just doing a 10-12 minute set. I am actually thinking of doing “You and I” as one song because there is good advice in there for buying us parents a home in the south of France. :) So maybe one light song, one sweet song and then I have no idea about the original, which we’ll try to co-write.

Funny. I didn't realize it was you asking.

I also like the line about, "Love will pay the bills." Yeah, that really works.

I'm going to the Gardiner Library Wednesday night, 7:00 - 9:00. Last night in Red Hook, Shelly recommended it

Funny. I didn't realize it was you asking.

I also like the line about, "Love will pay the bills." Yeah, that really works.

I'm going to the Gardiner Library Wednesday night, 7:00 - 9:00. Last night in Red Hook, Shelly recommended it

Also thinking of singing ‘Deed I Do. And/or maybe something by Cake. :)
Also possibly, All of Me, When Somebody Loves You.

Last edited:
How sentimental do you want to get? I'd recommend that you ask the bride and groom to be, what their favorite music is. And go from there.

But for shear sentimentality you can't go much deeper than:

"Wedding Song" by Noel Paul Stookey of Peter, Paul & Mary, or
"Turn Around", I don't know who wrote it but it was performed by the Brothers Four, Harry Belafonte and many others.
I'll have to check these out because I don't know these songs. Thanks.

Last edited:
Well my daughter got married today in a Zoom ceremony, and the ukulele wedding song that played was one I wrote. So thankful to Kevin Griffin, who graciously played, sang harmony and mixed the track the night before!

Last edited:
Top Bottom