Kanile'a Custom Concert

RAZZLE

Reaction score
see new posts for updated progress pictures.

Last edited:
So i have finally decided to take the plunge and order a custom concert from Joe and Kristen.I have sent some emails and the return i am getting is that they are away until may 27th.Does anyone know when they are actually back?Because once i make a decision i like to act on it straight away and as we all know i can't get it out of my head,its all i think about.So if anyone can help,at least i know to relax until then.The previous emails i have sent have been returned forthwith from Kristen with all the answers,the service has been great so far.Thank you all in advance.
razzle.

I know that they have been gone for a few weeks, but I think they are back now.

Try calling them directly and asking, that should get a pretty sound answer. ;)

If you're that impatient, realize that having a custom uke built is not a fast process...I can't say anything bad about Kanile'a - I am a Kanile'a whore - but patience will pay off with the best results...

patience is a virtue.I know delivery time will be a while.Looks like i will just ring them.Thanks jumpingflea.Bbycrts,i still have a dilemma about the finish.UV or Gloss.Any thoughts?

one for glossy

I have my eye on a Kanile'a too... just waiting to get experienced enough to decide on which size to get. But, I think I am pretty much in love with the gloss finish. It would take an awful lot to turn me away from that direction. I love the look of the wood with that rich glossy finish!

–Lori

As another Kanile'a whore, first off, let me offer my congratulations to you. My Kanile'a is my prized possession and I can't say enough great things about Joe and Kristen's warmth and great customer service.

As to gloss vs. satin, I have a UV gloss one. It does show fingerprints on occasion (not to the naked eye unless you hold it at certain angles) but it hides a multitude of sins. My ukulele got a couple of scratches on it (and chips as well from when it got accidentally dropped). The scratches are almost impossible to see. I think with the satin finish, they would be MUCH more visible. Of course, fingerprints aren't as easily seen on satin.

I think the satin has a much more traditional look (it reminds me of old style ukuleles, and resembles the Kamaka/KoAloha, etc.) But the UV finish is one of the things that (to me anyway - I know reasonable people can disagree) sets Kanile'a apart. I recently took a tour of their factory and Joe was telling me how they developed this finish. It truly is gorgeous, sets the wood grain off better than satin, and is also environmentally friendly. For my money, you can't go wrong with the UV finish.

Can't wait to see photos of your uke when you get it. And again, congrats. If money was no object, I would absolutely get a custom curly koa (probably the Hawaiian tenor) from Kanile'a. You won't regret it. And be sure to join the Kanile'a Club! http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=20

Well...I don't know much about the matte finish, because I just love the look of the gloss...Kanile'as are so beautiful as it is, just in their form, that I can't imagine not working to bring out the best in the wood! My K1-C has such beautiful wood - and that's the "basic" model. So for me, it's gloss all the way! (However, the matte models are also known as the "soundmonsters." I hear they have amazing volume...)

You have all just confirmed my own thoughts.UV it is then with premium curly koa.Still undecided about the rosette.I know its a personal choice but any input is appreciated.I was thinking either the white black white for minimal effect to show off the koa or zebra wood rosette or simmilar wood rosette with white black white.comments?

I LOVE this look in a rosette - simple, but really gets the contrasting wood out there:

uke_4.jpg

Custom's take time, I don't know if there is still a waiting list I know there was when I ordered last time. ~6 months or so. Might have been because of the complexity of the build.

Remember Joe has a important job outside of ukuleles and he might be tied up fighting a fire.

Kanilea Custom Concert Progress Pictures

So i thought since i have ordered a concert Kanilea custom and Kristen has happily supplied some pictures,i would post them as the build unfolds.Here are the first 5 pictures i received today.More will follow when i receive them.I hope i have done this right. Click on following link. http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab44/RAZZLE_17/

Last edited:
if only the pics were larger so I may drool in its glory :D

How much are these customs from Kanile'a

if anyone knows how to make them bigger let me know so i can re do them.OK i worked it out thanks to seeso and his photobucket.

Last edited:
if anyone knows how to make them bigger let me know so i can re do them.

The image attachment feature on the boards resizes your images, makes them smaller.

Are they big on your computer? If so, you should upload them to an image hosting site like imageshack or photobucket. From there, you can link the images.

Let me know which site you upload them to, and I'll help you link them.

Top Bottom