Which tenor is best range of $350 - $601.83

Varsagod

Reaction score
Hello all,
As the subject implies I'm looking for an Tenor Uke (solid wood) in the price range of $350 to $601.83 (USD). Though I don't believe "if it's expensive it's better" but I do believe one gets what one paid for.

One I found appealing is the EW PONO OHIA solid wood Tenor. However it sounds "too good to be true".

I'm willing to make an investment in my uke for that best sound, but I can't afford something too costly since, my skills still needs work nor am I a professional.

So I ask the UU members for their advice and suggestions.

Thanks!

Var

Last edited:
I must ask.... why so specific? $601.83? What if the perfect uke was $601.84? :p

I've heard good things about the Honu tenors. They're relatively inexpensive and they're made out of solid koa.
They're only $471 here:
http://www.ukes.com/big-island-ukulele.html

I have to say the Honus have been calling to me for some time now. I hear conflicting reports and of course...it's like a movie review (take the new Star Trek for example)...someone might not like it but that doesn't mean you wont.

I need to play one of these!!!!

I have to say the Honus have been calling to me for some time now. I hear conflicting reports and of course...it's like a movie review (take the new Star Trek for example)...someone might not like it but that doesn't mean you wont.

I need to play one of these!!!!

I was pretty set on getting one for a while. I figured you really can't go wrong with solid koa. But eventually I bit the bullet and picked up a Kanile'a K1 :D

I was pretty set on getting one for a while. I figured you really can't go wrong with solid koa. But eventually I bit the bullet and picked up a Kanile'a K1 :D

When I was able and ready it came down to the fancy shmancy Honu tenor and a customized Pineapple Sunday.
I dont have a Honu. ;)

But am still curious.

When I was able and ready it came down to the fancy shmancy Honu tenor and a customized Pineapple Sunday.
I dont have a Honu. ;)

But am still curious.

Good choice :).
I'm sure when my UAS picks up in a few months the honu will look a bit prettier ;)

Good choice :).
I'm sure when my UAS picks up in a few months the honu will look a bit prettier ;)

My UAS is no longer a syndrome but a Sickness!!

It started out with the customized Pineapple Sunday....2 customs later, one in the making and two vintage martins still have me looking for more. :eek:

Somebody please shoot me in the face with a bazooka!

My UAS is no longer a syndrome but a Sickness!!

It started out with the customized Pineapple Sunday....2 customs later, one in the making and two vintage martins still have me looking for more. :eek:

Somebody please shoot me in the face with a bazooka!

That's a terrible thing to say!

.....But just in case someone takes you up on that bloody offer, I'm sure your ukes would fit in quite nicely with my collection ;).

That's a terrible thing to say!

.....But just in case someone takes you up on that bloody offer, I'm sure your ukes would fit in quite nicely with my collection ;).

Here's an example of this sickness...

I was given a Kamaka Aloha shirt for my birthday recently.
I dont own a Kamaka.
UA-SICKNESS tells me I have to have a Kamaka now...and Im loking for Pineapples...and dont like sopranos lolol.

Sick! Sick I tell ya!

Here's an example of this sickness...

I was given a Kamaka Aloha shirt for my birthday recently.
I dont own a Kamaka.
UA-SICKNESS tells me I have to have a Kamaka now...and Im loking for Pineapples...and dont like sopranos lolol.

Sick! Sick I tell ya!

I think we've strayed off topic, but here's an example of my illness:
I bought my Kanile'a Tenor about 2 weeks ago and I'm already looking at a Kamaka HF-3. Totally impractical yet totally necessary!

I think we've strayed off topic, but here's an example of my illness:
I bought my Kanile'a Tenor about 2 weeks ago and I'm already looking at a Kamaka HF-3. Totally impractical yet totally necessary!

...and the wierd thing is I totally understand you lolol!

(Getting back on track) How much do they cost? :p

Back off topic: Just noticed you're a fellow NY'er. (Im in the city).

Back on topic: How much do tenors go for by you?

Seeso, the sound I'm looking for is nice rich ample sound that resonate. If one were to transfer sound to a visual experience, it'll have to be that perfect quiet ripple in a pond during dawn. The color would be range around rich purple to dark wood green with a tint of brown. The feeling would have to be something close to the listening to Yo Yo Ma's Bach prelude suite 1 while having tea. Does that make any sense?? Once again it is subjective as you said. ^^

lolsara, I picked $601.83 as a mini joke. :) But in reality my budget is around $700, which is thinking for a hard case plus shipping.

Thanks for your suggestions.

The Honu is appealing to me in a vain way; I love turtles. ^^ I do have a quick newbie question, (pardon me for asking) Is it worth to get one with a pickup in the long run? My gutt answer is yes.

Last edited:
Seriously....Varsa...

What you are describing as far as what you want will run you a bit more than what you have stated as your budget.

I can speak of my ukes that have that sound:

Pineapple Sunday
Les Rietfors
Makani

I have had a Kala for a long time and love the way it sounds but after playing affordable ukes compared to higher end ukes....the sound you are looking for is a little bit steeper than what you are quoting.

That's not to say you wont be able to find a good deal on a custom second hand uke here or at Flea Market or Ebay for that matter.

Just my two Lincolns.

Heheh Spooner.
I agree with you 110%. I have experience the same thing with my percussion instruments; the sound from a good instrument (generally pricey) is worth all its Abrahams and nothing less.

Currently, I'm looking for a upper middle ground sound from my future uke. Of course eventually I will want to upgrade my uke as I practice more and hear other professionals at work. However, as you know a cheap instrument will sound cheap and flat.

Are there any tenor uke around ( or slightly above) my price range worth getting? :)

Cheers,
Var

Heheh Spooner.
I agree with you 110%. I have experience the same thing with my percussion instruments; the sound from a good instrument (generally pricey) is worth all its Abrahams and nothing less.

Currently, I'm looking for a upper middle ground sound from my future uke. Of course eventually I will want to upgrade my uke as I practice more and hear other professionals at work. However, as you know a cheap instrument will sound cheap and flat.

Are there any tenor uke around ( or slightly above) my price range worth getting? :)

Cheers,
Var

I think Ahnko suggested a good brand and I definitely suggest Kala as a contender. I still love and play my Kala and you can pick up their highest priced model and still be able to buy some Taco bell on the way home. :p

I was looking at a Mele for my first solid koa but I didn't like the look of the multi-colored fretboard. It had that 'leftover scrap wood' look to it. I'm sure its quality wood, just a little unattractive in my opinion.

Top Bottom