Kmise conversion

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Had a spare set of Ratios here. I was going to use them on another tenor, but the headstock on that one ended being too thick, a mongo 14.5 mm, when max for Ratios is 13.5. So I installed them on my cheap Kmise tenor instead, replacing the stock geared tuners with pearly buttons. I love the look, and much prefer tuners out the back. This is also the only tenor I've had where I prefer Aquilas, they sound great on this one. I bought it on a lark, to see how good (or bad) a $43.00 tenor could be, and thought I'd be gifting it. But no way, this one sounds and plays great, so it's staying right here with me.

20200110_160701.jpg
20200110_223433.jpg

Last edited:
Love it when you play with something and it comes out so much better than you thought it would.

I would like to try this on my Kmise, did it require enlarging the hole and do you have a photo of the back that you could share. Thanks in advance.

Curious to see back of head stock picture. As noted above did you ream hole for tuners?
Thanks

I only needed to ream a very slight amount on the front holes to fit the black Ratio bushings, only 4-5 turns of the reamer, to remove about 1mm of wood there. I probably could have used the existing bushings, but they were chrome, and wouldn't match the black Ratio tuner posts. Haven't filled the holes on the back, not sure if I'll bother. It's a good sounding uke, loud with good bark & chime. Here's the first song I recorded on it: https://youtu.be/1T9ywaNZfU0

20200111_133039.jpg
20200111_133007.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job. Thanks for update. I’d just put some black screws in the holes left. I did that on a guitar once and it was simple and easy. I never noticed screws again. Looks like you got a good Uke. Have fun!

Way to go. I just love modding my ukes....

I only needed to ream a very slight amount on the front holes to fit the black Ratio bushings, only 4-5 turns of the reamer, to remove about 1mm of wood there. I probably could have used the existing bushings, but they were chrome, and wouldn't match the black Ratio tuner posts. Haven't filled the holes on the back, not sure if I'll bother. It's a good sounding uke, loud with good bark & chime. Here's the first song I recorded on it: https://youtu.be/1T9ywaNZfU0

View attachment 124279
View attachment 124280

It sounded great. Nice bluesy playing and singing of that song. Enjoyed it.

How difficult would you say it is for a beginner to change tuners? From 1 being easy as changing your socks to 5 being as difficult as changing a flat tire on the side of a highway in the rain at night. I have a uke with friction tuners I feel are too sensitive, seems like I just touch them and the pitch shoots up/down like 20 cents :(

And great playing! I love that song! The Commitments is one of my favourite semi-musical movies (is that a genre?) I also like That Thing You Do! even though there’s basically only one song. It is catchy though!! :)

How difficult would you say it is for a beginner to change tuners? From 1 being easy as changing your socks to 5 being as difficult as changing a flat tire on the side of a highway in the rain at night. I have a uke with friction tuners I feel are too sensitive, seems like I just touch them and the pitch shoots up/down like 20 cents :(

And great playing! I love that song! The Commitments is one of my favourite semi-musical movies (is that a genre?) I also like That Thing You Do! even though there’s basically only one song. It is catchy though!! :)

Don't do it! Unless you are familiar with and handy with tools. Even better, unless you have a drill press.

No, I'm not mansplaining or being condescending. I would not attempt to do it. When a top-rated repair shop screwed up replacing a set of PegHeds on my Martin 1T IZ, I decided that I'll gladly pay the $25 to have them do it. (They actually replaced the ukulele because of the dent they put in the original.) I'm okay with tools, but I'm no fine furniture maker.

Well since I don’t know what a drill press is that’s probably good advice�� no amateur repairs for me!!

The answer to that depends on what you have and what you want to change to. Putting in a better friction tuner might be a 1. Gotoh makes a lot of different kinds of tuners and the difference between their cheapest and most expensive friction tuner is large. Their best friction tuner is really nice. I've had it on instruments and never even considered upgrading.

Top Bottom