Pono Guitars

drjond56

Reaction score
I remember that Pono had produced guitars in the past and the website mentions that they are shifting to all parlor models which apparently were to be introduced in April. Anyone have any experience with either the old or new Pono guitars? I am in the market for a parlor and have a definite interest int the Pono, particularly the Mango version.

Jon

Oh cool, I had no idea about that -- I'm definitely interested, too.

I hope someone has the scoop!

I've actually got a steel string parlor mango prototype from 3 ish years ago. There's a picture in my album. Build, built very well. The music store beside me was blown away by the build (like a tank with a double truss rod) but the sound that comes out of it is quite lovely. Low action, intonation is spot on all the way up the neck, great sustain. I prefer using this one as a picking instrument as I haven't found the right balance of strings to stop it from sounding muddy with my strumming style. Mellow sound, more bass than treble.

... There's a picture in my album...

picture.php

Wow, that's gorgeous. And I'm primarily a picker and like smaller bodied guitars (after all, I'm a uke player, right? :D). This seems like a dream instrument for me...

If you talk with Andrew at Hawaii Music Supply, I saw he found another one in the warehouse and it was sitting in the store last january. Give them a call. They do free shipping and they are very competitive price wise.

Thanks for the tip, allinfun.

According to this webpage (scroll to the bottom), it seems the production models won't be available until 2010. :(

Thanks for the info. Will re-think it in 2010. I already have 00 and 000 size guitars, but age and a misbehaving disc in my neck make it easier for me to play smaller instruments (especially baritone and tenor uke). There are of course a legion of parlor guitars available but I had not run across the Ponos anywhere before. I play everything fingerstyle, even the ukes.

Jon

Top Bottom