Old Kanilea

K-1 is the finish level, K-2 had a little more bling, K-3, even more, etc. So, it's the base finish level, looks like a tenor scale to me, 25" would be about right. Price may be a little high, unless you just really like it, it's probably a fine instrument! Today, it would be called a K-1 SC (for super concert), then you could get a D (deluxe) or P (premium) denoting upgrades in the curl. Watch it and if it doesn't sell, they might drop the price or put it on make an offer.

Last edited:
That is a cool uke, label suggests it was built by Joe himself. That crack on the back of the headstock between the G and A tuners looks a bit ominous.

Looks like he wrapped the C-string around the bridge peg rather than feeding it into the hole. I think it's wound, but can't be sure.

With the cracked and crazed finish on the heel, I can't help but wonder about how well it was kept humidified. I found it interesting that in the description he says: "...the usual cracked finish..." Or something to that effect. I don't think there is anything usual about that.

I don't know if it has always been this way, but tenors are currently designated K-1T.

I think it's over priced as well. That cracked finish looks pretty severe.

I bought a 2007 K-1 Tenor (in 2007) from MGM. I believe the cost with a hard shell case was about the same new as the eBay ukulele. The early pre-TRU braced ukuleles were hit or miss. They tended to be a bit over-built and the finishes were a bit thick. I ended up sending it back.

I don’t want to discourage you, but in my opinion, older may not be better. The newer Kanileas are top notch, but you will pay $1300 for a new super concert.

John

I bought a 2007 K-1 Tenor (in 2007) from MGM. I believe the cost with a hard shell case was about the same new as the eBay ukulele. The early pre-TRU braced ukuleles were hit or miss. They tended to be a bit over-built and the finishes were a bit thick. I ended up sending it back.

I don’t want to discourage you, but in my opinion, older may not be better. The newer Kanileas are top notch, but you will pay $1300 for a new super concert.

John

Agreed, if I was buying, I'd get a new one. I like the look of the new ones, and I expect the latest TRU bracing sounds better too. Even the lower cost Oha ukes have that too.

Looking at his other 170 eBay listings, it's got a pawn/thrift/vintage shop vibe. I doubt he knows much about the instrument, he just did some googling.

Top Bottom