Finally the right strap

UkuEroll

Reaction score
I've been looking for a decent strap for my Ukulele for months, I've tried all sorts of Guitar straps but nothing seemed comfortable, so I started looking around the house for something I could use, including the strap of the wifes steam cleaner, finally I found the perfect thing, It is a leather strap of off one of her handbags, It is just under an inch wide with an adjustable clip,I cut a small slot in one end, which fitted over the strap pin I installed and a thin boot lace at the other, which I tied around the headstock.
Since I started to use it my playing has improved so much as I now can concentrate on my playing and not trying to keep the Uke in place.
Give it a try, Its a good cheap way of making a custom strap.
On the downside the wife wants a new handbag, but then again she always wants a new handbag:)

Attachments

• levy_strap.jpg
    levy_strap.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 14
I'm still looking for an alternative to installing a button or stud on the bottom of my uku. I have seen the ones that clip into the soundhole... but I'm not thrilled with that idea either. My uku is a rare Marca Aquila that is about a hundred years old - literally. I don't want to do anything that will harm it, change the sound, or compromise the integrity of the original instrument.

So I guess for now I am going to continue to go "strapless". :eek:

Fortunately the uku is very light so that is not too hard.

you should let your wife buy a new bag.

then when UAS kicks in you have the comfort of knowing that you can use your wife's handbag as an excuse for making your purchase!

then this cycle will never end. but it's a win-win cycle!
until you go into debt.

you should let your wife buy a new bag.

then when UAS kicks in you have the comfort of knowing that you can use your wife's handbag as an excuse for making your purchase!

then this cycle will never end. but it's a win-win cycle!
until you go into debt.

"When UAS kicks in" That started after about a week of getting my first one:D
As for excuses, I don't need one, What I need some money:(

Old bags can be useful sometimes. :cool::D;)

I'm still looking for an alternative to installing a button or stud on the bottom of my uku. I have seen the ones that clip into the soundhole... but I'm not thrilled with that idea either. My uku is a rare Marca Aquila that is about a hundred years old - literally. I don't want to do anything that will harm it, change the sound, or compromise the integrity of the original instrument.

So I guess for now I am going to continue to go "strapless". :eek:

Fortunately the uku is very light so that is not too hard.

Dude.. it's Uke or ukulele.. not uku, uku is Lice.

:shaka:

LOL!! Correct. And it's on me like that too. "Uku" - lice/flea, "lele" - jumping. You abbreviate it your way and I'll abbreviate it my way. By the way, I dig that Tiki King uke (see I spelled it your way just for you). How is the sound on it?

Last edited:
I had a hard time finding the right strap, too. On my husband's tenors a guitar strap is okay, but on a concert it's a bit much.

I even got a leather mando strap, but having that metal hardware next to my much-loved uke didn't work for me.

I ended up making my own straps. A couple I made with canvas belts; a couple I made with grosgrain ribbon. For the headstock end I used cord sewn into a loop at the strap end. On the button end I have used old belt ends, cord loops, or made them with naughahyde. Two of my straps are adjustable; the others are fixed length.

LOL!! Correct. And it's on me like that too. "Uku" - lice/flea, "lele" - jumping. You abbreviate it your way and I'll abbreviate it my way. By the way, I dig that Tiki King uke (see I spelled it your way just for you). How is the sound on it?

Nice and bright. have it strung with aquilas.

Uku may be lice to you, I can't believe you thought he wanted to put a button on his lice,lets not forget this is a truly international group, different words mean different things in different countries.
I'm sure you knew what he meant, when people call there instruments Axes you don't think they are playing with choppers.:)

Uku may be lice to you, I can't believe you thought he wanted to put a button on his lice,lets not forget this is a truly international group, different words mean different things in different countries.
I'm sure you knew what he meant, when people call there instruments Axes you don't think they are playing with choppers.:)

eh,

we are talking Hawiian here right?

Top Bottom