Current thoughts on strings for 19" Super Tenor?

bretterb

Reaction score
I've tried to dig through several old threads on strings for long neck tenors, but wondered if folks could post their current suggestions for strings for a 19" tenor? I've got one of the Kala Elite/USA Super Tenors on its way to me. It comes with a wound low G and Worth browns on the rest. These sound good in the sound samples I've heard, but I'll probably want to go with a wound C string as well at some point.

Based on past threads, it sounds like many people use the Thomastic CF30(G) and CF27(C). Is that correct?

Any other suggestions? I also wonder about trying DGBE strings on it, but want to keep the tenor brightness and I assume I'd lose that with DGBE.

Thanks!

-Brett

I've tried to dig through several old threads on strings for long neck tenors, but wondered if folks could post their current suggestions for strings for a 19" tenor? I've got one of the Kala Elite/USA Super Tenors on its way to me. It comes with a wound low G and Worth browns on the rest. These sound good in the sound samples I've heard, but I'll probably want to go with a wound C string as well at some point.

Based on past threads, it sounds like many people use the Thomastic CF30(G) and CF27(C). Is that correct?

Any other suggestions? I also wonder about trying DGBE strings on it, but want to keep the tenor brightness and I assume I'd lose that with DGBE.

Thanks!

-Brett
The ideal tuning for super tenors is a bit lower than GCEA.. I had good success with trying GCEA strings for baritone as 19 is closet to 20 than 17..
Thomastik should work fine for both DGBE and GCEA. You can also get standard tenor strings and tune the uke half or one step down to FA#DG

Top Bottom