Living in england sucks when it comes to ukuleles

Samster

Reaction score
ordering online adds around $100 (shipping and import tax)

a tiny tiny amount of shops sell them, so ive got to but them off reviews off the internet

and i hate not being able to hold it before i buy it,

it also makes good ukuleles so much more expensive than they already are

i wish i was in america

:(:(:(

Portugal?

I think I saw a post that someone got an ukulele - actually a machete or braghina (sp?) - in Portugal. That is where they came from originally anyway. I'm not sure how easy it is to get one, but it is at least a little closer and you might get a really special instrument with great quality. I would assume that the fretting is the same. I know that there should be some real quality craftsmanship in that area.

Good luck! There have been many talented ukulele aficionados in the UK - so persevere!
:music:

it would be better to buyfrom within the EU, taking out import tax, ill have a look

thank you :)

it would be better to buyfrom within the EU, taking out import tax, ill have a look

thank you :)

What about The Duke Of Uke in London? He has a real shop, an online business and plenty of stock.

Or you have 3 excellent stores in France: JusteCordes, Exquisite and Musique83. No VAT, no import duty and reasonable shipping. TheUkuleleShop was based in Berlin and no-one had a problem buying from them.

KEN

Hi Samster,

Have you been able to got to any uke gatherings, or clubs? It's a great way to try several different ukes and get a good idea of what you want to buy. Buying on line is fine, if you know exactly what you want. I've been in touch with Juste Cordes in France, and the proprietor is English, so there's no language difficulty. Shipping costs are very reasonable, and there are no extra charges like VAT or import duty.

I'm waiting for an Ohana Pineapple - they are out of stock at the moment, but due in soon :D

England's not so bad.

Ukantor.

Last edited:
Brueko - now there's a uke you need to try before you buy. A friend of mine loves them. I wouldn't have one myself. Neither of us is wrong - it's just a matter of personal taste.

Ukantor.

it's the same in canada, i'm afraid!

we get dinged for exchange (often 20% or more) and taxes at the border to sit adds about 35% to the price depending on the exchange rate at the time.

a couple guitar stores in toronto are starting to sell ukes here and there but they're limited to entry-level and novelty ukes most of the time...

just ordered a k2 concert kanilea from musicguymic in hawaii actually! can't wait!

k

ive just been reading a post on the internet that says you dont pay duty on musical instruments? is this true?

i may start a new thread on it,

it would save me so much if it did

ive just been reading a post on the internet that says you dont pay duty on musical instruments? is this true?

i may start a new thread on it,

it would save me so much if it did

If it were true (and I don't think it is), it wouldn't save you very much at all. It is VAT (15%) that is the problem with buying from non-EU countries.

Brueko - now there's a uke you need to try before you buy. A friend of mine loves them. I wouldn't have one myself. Neither of us is wrong - it's just a matter of personal taste.

Ukantor.

Your comment is the first I've heard that leans toward negativity directed at the Bruko, please elaborate, why do you feel this way? I'd like to know since I was thinking of getting this European 'ukulele because they are different, and affordable for a custom 'ukulele. Ideally it would be great to try every 'ukulele before buying the 3 "K"s included. Why does your friend LOVE Brukos? I'd like to hear the pros and cons before I decide to buy a Bruko.

Ken Middleton seems to like them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9U3dontvpM&feature=channel_page

Your comment is the first I've heard that leans toward negativity directed at the Bruko, please elaborate, why do you feel this way? I'd like to know since I was thinking of getting this European 'ukulele because they are different, and affordable for a custom 'ukulele. Ideally it would be great to try every 'ukulele before buying the 3 "K"s included. Why does your friend LOVE Brukos? I'd like to hear the pros and cons before I decide to buy a Bruko.

Ken Middleton seems to like them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9U3dontvpM&feature=channel_page

I do like them, but they are a bit of an acquired taste.

They don't usually have the rich, mellow tone that we all love from Hawaiian instruments. I describe the tone as "brittle".

But they are perfect for playing some styles of music - in fact everything from Bach to heavy metal (W.Welti and Baron both play one). The one I have is built like a tank. If I wasn't playing music on it, I could play cricket with it.

KEN

wow... i ordered a mainland uke, but after reading this i looked up a few things about how they handle this in Holland. It seems I'll have to pay atleast 19% over the total costs (including shipping costs) and then that 19% can run up to 40% depending on the product and the duane costs. I've also read you don't always have to pay, they just pick out the packages randomly.

I hope they blink their eyes when my package passes them :<

thats hard man,

its silly how much extra it costs, it pushes average ukes into an expensive range.

Bruekos are not everybody's cup of tea. My buddy (who loves his) has a rapid, percussive strumming style which suits the sharp, bright tone of the Brueko. I lean towards a more lingering, expressive, romantic, sensitive (stop me - I'm going to throw up!) style. As Ken M. says - mellow, they ain't.

But if you like that kind of thing, then what I'm saying is positive, not negative.

Ukantor.

Edit:- Say Ken, don't use your Brueko as a cricket bat - I've heard of two that suffered a loose neck joint in normal useage.

Last edited:
to be fair, i really dont have a style, or preference, i play the best i can afford and are greatful of it,

im a student so im virtually always skint aha

i wish i could figure out what i exactly like so i could tune in on it :(

That's why you need to get together with other ukers and try their axes. Can you get up to see the Hebden Bridge gang? That's not too far from you.

www.tinguitar.com/ukuleleclub

Ukantor

i supose i could try actually

id love to, i dont know anybody that plays the ukulele.

im only 16 though, so id feel so out of place

I was sixteen once, but I don't remember much about it. I know I was a bit unsure about meeting new people and new social situations. It's understandable. All I can say is that they are a very friendly bunch, and would make you feel very welcome.

Ukantor.

Top Bottom