Koalohas KTM-00 (New Design)

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Was reading about the newly redesigned Koaloha KTM-00, where they changed from 15 frets to the body, down to 14, and reshaped the body. That apparently moves the bridge and bracing down into the "sweet spot".

The guys at HMS seem to feel that it sounds much different than the previous version: https://vimeo.com/355804875

Anyone here have one?

KTM-00 (2).jpg

Last edited:
I have one and have find it to be exceptional. I owned the previous version as well but sold it. It was also nice but wasn’t exactly what I was looking for. This one however is a keeper. As they discuss in the video, it seems designed to bring out the mids. The result is a simply wonderful tone. I have other quality Ukes, but they are collecting dust. I purchased mine from Mim and am very happy with it.

Describing tones can be tricky, but as I contrast the two, I find the new version adds more clarity and projection. It also provides a full range of dynamics.

The new shape looks good to me. To my ears KoAloha has the best sounding concert and long neck sopranos of the K brands whereas I see more Kanile'a and Kamaka tenors in the hands of performers. I find it strange to consider them bassy as one needs a low G to accomplish that and then it's a desired sound. It is difficult to keep track of all the ongoing KoAloha design changes.

Top Bottom