Do you have to pay Duty/Import tax on musical instruments?

Samster

Reaction score
I just herd you didnt?

does anyone know about this?

i live in the Uk and would like to order from america.

its all new to me

thanks

Sam

Not sure what the difference is but you will have to pay something, whether it's a tax/duty if you have an instrument shipped to you from the US. Even if it is a gift.

okiedoke thank you

now we can close it aha:)

Depends on what country you are in, how Customs classifies musical instruments, whether shipping is taxable, if there is just duty or both duty and taxes, federal and state/provincial taxation levels, the mood of the individual who assess the incoming items and the phase of the moon.

In Canada, we pay no duty on items coming from the USA because of free trade agreements, but we pay a "processing fee" of about $10-$12 to the handling agency ($40-$60 if its coming by UPS) plus sales taxes - federal and provincial (except Alberta). Taxation level in Canada is generally 13-15%. Combined with the low Canadian dollar, it means that you can add roughly 40% to the US cost of the instrument to get the Canadian amount, sometimes more.​

You have to pay duty and tax.

From HM Revenue and Customs site:

If you buy goods online from a country outside the European Union, for instance the USA, Canada, China, Australia
You will be charged:

Customs duty if the amount of duty is €10 (£7) or over
Import VAT if the value of the goods is €22 (£18) and over
Excise duty for some goods like alcohol and tobacco

I'm in UK and I have bought instruments from USA before. Believe me, you have to pay.

In a word: yes.

If you are very lucky you could get it shipped over as a gift at a low value and avoid import duty but it's very rare and few companies are willing to send it as a gift.

If you're saving up from a uke it pays to factor in paying the full import duty. If you go to Fedex.com and select the UK and then "Rates and Transit Times" it allows you to calculate how much it will cost including duty and excise.

In a word: yes.

If you are very lucky you could get it shipped over as a gift at a low value and avoid import duty but it's very rare and few companies are willing to send it as a gift.

If you're saving up from a uke it pays to factor in paying the full import duty. If you go to Fedex.com and select the UK and then "Rates and Transit Times" it allows you to calculate how much it will cost including duty and excise.

oh thank you, ill do that Cheers.

oh thank you, ill do that Cheers.

No problem! I had a similar problem with you with buying/importing a uke into England.

Another option is if you know anyone who is going on holiday in America. You could send it to their hotel or whatever and have them bring it back on the plane for you to avoid import duty.

The good news is, all the tax goes into the pot and pays for things like the NHS so don't feel too bad about it (or try to avoid paying it by declaring a low value) :)

In my experience buying from HMS and paying import tax and vat is only a little more expensive than buying from SUS but if you have seen one you really want then it is worth an extra 100 quid or so isn't it?

Top Bottom