PDA

View Full Version : An Open Mic Set - how many songs?

UKISOCIETY
06-04-2009, 11:13 AM
A question about open mic performances - How many songs are best for a set? I'm preparing some songs for the Uke World Congress, but I'm not sure about how many to schedule. What's too little? What's too much?

Thanks!

russ_buss
06-04-2009, 11:17 AM
the answer or course, is 4.67 songs.

i think you just have to feel out the crowd. if they're digging it, keep going. if they're not, time for a smoke break.

smgold101
06-04-2009, 11:39 AM
and u better know free bird

UKISOCIETY
06-04-2009, 11:44 AM
the answer or course, is 4.67 songs.

i think you just have to feel out the crowd. if they're digging it, keep going. if they're not, time for a smoke break.

Ahm en truble!:eek:

Mobben
06-04-2009, 12:26 PM
The answer of course is 42, that is if you bring Colin to make some scene show..

Otherwise it's probably closer to 4.67 as Russ_Buss said :P

ukantor
06-04-2009, 12:26 PM
If you are not first on, it will soon be apparent what is expected of you.

4.67 sounds about right, but better prepare too many than too few.

Ukantor.

Ukulele JJ
06-04-2009, 12:30 PM
4.67 sounds about right, but better prepare too many than too few.

It may be better to prepare too many than too few, but it's also better to perform too few than too many.

JJ

UKISOCIETY
06-04-2009, 12:36 PM
It may be better to prepare too many than too few, but it's also better to perform too few than too many.

JJ

This is getting too philosiphical for me. My puzzler hurts.:confused:

SailQwest
06-04-2009, 12:46 PM
I think 3 seems to be fairly typical. Time to warm up a bit, but not so much that if someone kind of sucks everybody gets really annoyed. That also gives a lot of people a chance to play.

We have occasionally done open mics where the crowd was so receptive that the emcee just had us keep going. I think the most we ever did at an open mic was 8, then at the end of the evening we did 2 more. We were smokin' that night! :cool:

bbycrts
06-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Being a Blues Brothers fan, I do know that it's important to have "Stand by Your Man" in your repertoire. And make sure the chicken wire in front of the stage is intact before you start playing. Rawhide wouldn't hurt, either...

SailQwest
06-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Being a Blues Brothers fan, I do know that it's important to have "Stand by Your Man" in your repertoire. And make sure the chicken wire in front of the stage is intact before you start playing. Rawhide wouldn't hurt, either...

One of our crowd pleasers (it always gets the house rockin') is Jailhouse Rock. I know Elvis did it, but I always think of it as a Blues Brothers song. :D

ukantor
06-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Seriously, I'd PREPARE at least six. It would be just my luck to decide to play three numbers, only to find that two of them were done by the preceeding act.

Ukantor.

JT_Ukes
06-04-2009, 01:20 PM
It happened to me on the last UU open mic, i had Rainbow Connection" yanked out from under me...

AcousticMonster
06-04-2009, 01:39 PM
How long are you suppose to play for? I do open-mics every week. They usually let us go for 15 minutes. But a lot of times we get to play for half hour (depending how many people show up to play). I would have between 5 and 10 songs.

The longest I've gotten to play ukulele live is an hour. That's about as long as I want to play anyways. I do have two hours worth of songs to fall back on thought (if I read some off my cheat sheets). :D

seeso
06-04-2009, 02:54 PM
At my open mic the rule is 3 songs or 15 minutes, whatever comes first.

CoLmes
06-04-2009, 05:03 PM
for us it depends on how many ppl are also playing.. our first open mic there was basically no one.. so we played like 8 songs.. haha it felt like a real show or something. we were up there for at least a half hour. pretty convienent for our first try..

but pretty much we stick to 3.. one to get the jitters out, if any.. one to get the crowed to laugh or something, and one to blow them away..

Gcow55
06-04-2009, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't mind an hour long set of Ukisociety. Make sure you record some of your set.

ehhh I wish I were going. Odds are there won't be another gathering this close to me for awhile.