Fretboard/Bridge Spacing

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I'm playing around with an old Fluke - pre-2011. I removed the bridge, and I see that the plastic fretboard is ready to fall off. I'm thinking of using a conventional ready-made wooden fretboard and a ready-made bridge. If I position the 12th fret midway between the nut and the saddle, that should be okay, right?

I haven't checked the positioning of a different bridge yet, but I realize it would have to be close to the position of the original. I like to experiment.

I remember having read that it's not quite like that. To account for the slight stretch of the string when pressed, it has to be a tiny bit longer. So, the distance between nut and saddle is a little bit longer than twice from nut to 12 fret. I don't remember the details, nor I'm sure about it since I haven't ever measured any of my ukes (now I'm curious).

Don't quote me on this.

eugenio

Thanks, Buzz and Eugenio. It's all apart now, and it will be at least a few days before I put it back together.

Are you going to make this fretboard also really special? I noticed that you had been busy with decals etc.

Are you going to make this fretboard also really special? I noticed that you had been busy with decals etc.

Since it will be wood, I'm going to leave it alone. I don't like plastic boards with same color frets. That's the main reason for the graphics. On one, I used a graphic from Neck Illusions. On another, I did a painting, scanned it, and printed it on photo paper. Then I cut little pieces for the fretboard.

I'll have to decide how to treat this wooden board. I don't want to stain it a dark color. I'll experiment on the back of the board.

Top Bottom