PDA

View Full Version : Boob question, a very silly problem.

plasticsushi
06-04-2009, 03:33 PM
So I finally got my uke in the mail, and have been excitedly feeling my way around playing it (strumming is still a situation, but improving.)

I tried last night holding Lucy (didn't take long to name her) higher on my chest, and she was much easier to play. However, I was wandering around the house just now, and realized that my boob is in the way if I hold her as high as I need to for the aformentioned easy playing. Am I missing something? I know people say not to hold the uke close to the body, is that my problem? Halp!

Also, ukulele is my summer adventure, having failed at all other instruments when I was younger. I'm ready to work hard and overcome the lazy and pessimistic side of music for me. I hope.

Thanks!
Ariana

Spooner
06-04-2009, 03:36 PM
**Must show restraint!!!!**:p

plasticsushi
06-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Dude, you can make all the bad jokes you want, if you can help a lady out.

Spooner
06-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Dude, you can make all the bad jokes you want, if you can help a lady out.

Well the only thing I can say about holding the uke into your chest is...most say that you should tilt it towards the "audience" for better tone and volume.

As far as boobage and playing...I suppose that takes some getting used to like a female secretary who types with long nails.

...and for the record...I abstained from the bad jokes. :p

tuscadero
06-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Playing a soprano, I assume? I have a similar problem when I play soprano. So, I mostly play concert or tenor now, and I install a strap button on all my ukes. Using a guitar strap allows me to work around what God gave me without losing my grip on the ukulele.

Spooner
06-04-2009, 03:46 PM
http://godisgoodgear.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/pinklogoonblack.jpg

pithaya9
06-04-2009, 03:46 PM
I've seen 'ukulele's held in many different ways and they all work. Just hold her the way that works for you.

Ukuleleblues
06-04-2009, 03:47 PM
I think there was a thread here about that. Might want to search for it. I was going to use some of the tips in my beginner uke class. Gals can you help out?

plasticsushi
06-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks, Spooner. I just tried that and it seemed to solve both my strumming AND breast issue.

And boobs are not equal to long nails. Jes' saying.

Tuscadero, I'm glad that I'm not making up a problem! I was planning to put on a strap tomorrow... do you use an actual strap button, or do you install a foreign object into your ukes? I'm wondering if I can avoid a trip to the guitar store.

Ukuleleblues, I didn't even see that thread. Sorry to create a pointless thread!

Spooner
06-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks, Spooner. I just tried that and it seemed to solve both my strumming AND breast issue.

And boobs are not equal to long nails. Jes' saying.

LOL...don't get me started.
The "getting used to" was the key factor. :p

I'm glad it helped.

tuscadero
06-04-2009, 04:03 PM
I take them to the guitar store and they install the button for about $5. It's worth it to me to make sure I don't damage the instrument drilling off center of something.

That said, I only install a button on the bottom, I tie the other end to the headstock using a shoelace or even better, a leather strap and button that Martin makes for this purpose.

Ukulele JJ
06-04-2009, 04:07 PM
I take them to the guitar store and they install the button for about $5.

Really? That seems painful. I don't thi...

Oh, wait... You mean you take your ukuleles to the guitar store!

Nevermind.

JJ

tuscadero
06-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Ow! JJ, not right. Not right at all.

ukulelebadass
06-04-2009, 05:24 PM
pics?

Do uke's even have a button on the bottom for a strap? I know mine doesn't.

I would go with a shower type suction cup. Those hold pretty well and wouldn't require any damage to the uke body. I'm sure this has been thought of before though.

Sounded like agood idea to me...

haole
06-04-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm going to try to resist the urge to post something silly here and instead try to be of some help! (As a dude, I probably don't have the right to post here, but c'mon, with that kind of subject line, you were asking for it! ;) )

I love this kind of strap: http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=213

No modification to the uke itself. Check out the "collar in use" picture.

josuegroundhog
06-04-2009, 06:40 PM
I have no valuable information to add here but I wanted to say thanks for the suggestions.

A friend of mine was recently trying out my uke and had the same problem. I'll add a strap on her's.

Thanks Tuscadero!:shaka:

seeso
06-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Ukuleleblues, I didn't even see that thread. Sorry to create a pointless thread!

I'm not sure which thread you found, but I know of one that was created not too long ago. I'm not even sure the word "boobs" was used, so odds are most people wouldn't know what to search for.

You have to search for "awkward" and "twins." Here, let me find it for you:

Here you go. (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9747&highlight=awkward+twins)

josuegroundhog
06-04-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm not sure which thread you found, but I know of one that was created not too long ago. I'm not even sure the word "boobs" was used, so odds are most people wouldn't know what to search for.

You have to search for "awkward" and "twins." Here, let me find it for you:

Here you go. (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9747&highlight=awkward+twins)

Thanks for the redirect Seeso. I thought that thread was about these guys.

http://www.brookstonbeerbulletin.com/wp-content/beerpix/awkward-photos.jpg

salukulady
06-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Sopranos and concerts fit best on top of the breast and tenors and baritones fit best below the breast for me. (It' not rocket science guys, they're just boobs.)

Spooner
06-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Sopranos and concerts fit best on top of the breast and tenors and baritones fit best below the breast for me. (It' not rocket science guys, they're just boobs.)

In my religion the boobs are sacred. :D

snowcooley
06-04-2009, 09:13 PM
I personally find holding my soprano up higher on my chest really uncomfortable. It means I am playing waaaayyy to close to my face and the action of holding the uke against my chest just feels fairly cramped (to me). I tend keep it hovering pretty much over top of "the ladies" (like a fig leaf? :P) with the help of a strap.

Salukulady's advice makes sense to me, as a general rule... but check out how some lady ukulele players do it (there are tons on Youtube). Brittni Paiva looks like she uses a strap for her tenor and holds it below-boob, daniellesmagic has a kind of makeshift strap made from some string and clasps to tighten and loosen it, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (although male, definitely not lacking in the boob department) does the clutch-to-the-chest thing very well... there may be a particular solution out there that's easiest for you.

TheUsualSuspect
06-04-2009, 10:35 PM
I can understand the problem and offer no solutions. But I will bet that because of the title, when the statistics are compiled, this will likely be one of the most read threads in UU history.

SailQwest
06-05-2009, 01:40 AM
I would recommend a strap, too. I have them on all but one of my ukes. Guess which one gets played the least...

Advantages of a strap:
• Better boob comfort
• Less strain on your left hand
• Reduced risk of accidental drops
• Can add bling while being functional

ukantor
06-05-2009, 02:41 AM
Another big advantage of a strap is that when you are not playing, and you need to use your hands, you don't have to keep putting the uke down. I've never needed a strap, but if you are teaching, giving group presentations, stage work, or similar, a strap can be a boon.

Ukantor.

tuscadero
06-05-2009, 03:47 AM
Not rocket science, but still aerodynamic. (<--boobs, I mean)

Most ukes do not come with buttons installed. I tried the hook thing that clips into the sound hole. I know that's a good option for some people, it didn't work well for me. I still felt like I was going to drop the instrument, there's little leverage.

I know some folks aren't down with installing a button, it's a personal preference. Personally, I'd rather spend $5 for a pretty brass button installed nicely looking shiny, then to stick a suction cup on my uke, you got to lick those things! Eww!

wfwhitson
06-05-2009, 03:49 AM
I can understand the problem and offer no solutions. But I will bet that because of the title, when the statistics are compiled, this will likely be one of the most read threads in UU history.

Yes! I have been following this post with grate intrest.

UkeNukem
06-05-2009, 04:36 AM
I'd rather spend $5 for a pretty brass button installed nicely looking shiny, then to stick a suction cup on my uke, you got to lick those things! Eww!

I still think velcro is the bomb :D

Lori
06-05-2009, 06:37 AM
I like to use a strap (with strap button) all the time, for all sizes of ukuleles. If I am sitting though, I play the uke out on my leg, away from my body. The sound isn't muted by the body, so it's better when you can get away with sitting and playing. There are 2 women in the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain, and they all seem to be going strapless, and play with the uke slightly off their body, on the leg more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3gp7B8WC4Q

The strap can help even when seated, since it can help hold up the neck of a head heavy uke. I find, with my old classical guitar habits, that I barely touch the neck when moving around the fretboard. So, even sitting, I feel like the uke is falling out of position.

Strap buttons are clean, simple, and pretty reliable. I know it is difficult to do that to a treasured ukulele, and I didn't like the idea at first. But, having done it (I had them do it at the music shop), I have absolutely no regrets.

–Lori

haole
06-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Keep in mind that Iz had bigger boobs than most women. Look at how he held his ukulele. ;)

(no disrespect towards Iz or women intended by this post; if it's offensive, I'll delete it.)

Fred Miu
06-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Keep in mind that Iz had bigger boobs than most women. Look at how he held his ukulele. ;)

(no disrespect towards Iz or women intended by this post; if it's offensive, I'll delete it.)

this is true, but i believe he has a Tenor as well.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
06-05-2009, 08:58 AM
As unlikely as it seems, Bruddah Iz played a soprano as well.
BTW, there's nothing at all wrong with installing a strap button. I install them all the time on even the most expensive ukes. Since this is all about having fun anyway do whatever is most comfortable.

wickedwahine11
06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
I also recommend the strap button option, and I also had one just put on the bottom of my ukulele. I don't often play standing up, but it is now a possibility, whereas before it wasn't even an option. And it is actually easier to play seated with a strap as well, although I'm usually too lazy to drag it out of the case and put it on for seated playing.

I cringed when they drilled the hole into my precious uke, but in the long run, it was very much worth it.

I know the guys can simply tuck it under an arm, but for us ladies, it isn't usually a realistic option...

Ukuleleblues
06-08-2009, 09:47 AM
After reading the info here my wife wants to try a sound hole strap. Anyone have a recommendation where to buy one they can share?

Bender
06-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Yes! I have been following this post with grate intrest.

Me too, but I was kinda hoping for some pictures :D , you know, so we can help her figure it out.

kgibbons
07-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Hey, THANK YOU GUYS so much.
I've just gotten my first uke and I love playing it on the subway or while walking down the street (both difficult prospects as-is) and then the big boobs were an extra hurdle. While sitting, I was resting it on my leg mostly, but just couldn't figure it out while walking (especially since I'm a newbie and have a bit of difficulty with some more complicated chords).

I have a concert uke, which seems the perfect size for me, but I'm DEF going to get a strap because I really just want to hold it in an impossible spot (right on top), to the point where I often find myself holding it on the complete right side of my body like a weirdo.

So thanks. I'm going to the guitar store at Union Square tomorrow.

Jaid0gz
07-07-2010, 09:30 PM
whoa... you have a very similar name to my English teacher... Mrs. Kate Gibbons. Sorry, i just can't get over that fact.

arashi_nero
07-08-2010, 05:28 AM
i know everyone is talking about straps and it wasn't until i got my eleuke that i realized how wonderful straps really are. i'm actually surprised that no one has brought up the uke leash (http://www.ukeleash.com/). with that, you actually don't need to drill a hole in your uke. with that said, i've been debating having a strap button put on my tenor.

Lori
07-08-2010, 06:43 PM
i know everyone is talking about straps and it wasn't until i got my eleuke that i realized how wonderful straps really are. i'm actually surprised that no one has brought up the uke leash (http://www.ukeleash.com/). with that, you actually don't need to drill a hole in your uke. with that said, i've been debating having a strap button put on my tenor.
Thanks for the Uke Leash reference! This is a pretty old thread, and Uke Leash is pretty new. My website and store have only been up since May 2010, so the Uke Leash wasn't an option last year when this thread was started. I do find the Uke Leash helps in keeping the uke in place despite the challenges the female form presents.
–Lori

ichadwick
07-12-2010, 03:10 AM
Look into Lori's Uke Leash. It will give you considerable freedom of movement and not require you to press the uke so closely to the aforementioned boob.