Elderly Instruments as a Dealer? Martin Fluorocarbon strings?

specialmike

Reaction score
Okay... the title of this company doesn't strike me immediately as one I would buy stuff from. Just like I wouldn't buy an Oldsmobile, the title has an "aged" connotation, but there is nothing wrong with being old of course...

Anyways, have any of you bought anything from them? I was looking for Worth Fluorocarbon strings, and it seems that this website is the only site that carries them (ukulele world.com does too). Worth Uke strings don't seem to even have a ... dedicated site, well, I haven't found one yet. The site that I am led to after google-ling Worth ukulele strings, leads to what I assume is the official worth site, but it's soo poorly organized that I can't seem to find an ordering screen... Only carriers of the brand.

I've heard that Martin makes a fluorocarbon string now, does anyone have personal experience with those?

I look forward to your answers.

Last edited:
Elderly is one of the best and most highly regarded sites around...for us uke players at least.

Elderly is good stuff!

I've gotten everything from ukes to strings to books from Elderly. Awesome selection and very friendly people :)

It's a brick-and-mortar store, too, in Lansing, MI. I'd love to visit someday.

I've purchased a few sets of strings and some other accessories from Elderly and my experience has been outstanding each time. They were also very friendly and helpful when I called about a pre-order. I highly reccommend them.

I even traded a guitar for a ukulele there, got a fair price. They had strings, cases and bags, etc... I even got an e-mail from them today saying that they have 20% off gig bags and cases.

Good guys...

I picked up a set of the Martin Fluorocarbons at Guitar Center for my recent Rogue soprano project. I will soon have before and after videos and that may help you.

Okay... the title of this company doesn't strike me immediately as one I would buy stuff from. Just like I wouldn't buy an Oldsmobile, the title has an "aged" connotation, but there is nothing wrong with being old of course...

Anyways, have any of you bought anything from them? I was looking for Worth Fluorocarbon strings, and it seems that this website is the only site that carries them (ukulele world.com does too). Worth Uke strings don't seem to even have a ... dedicated site, well, I haven't found one yet. The site that I am led to after google-ling Worth ukulele strings, leads to what I assume is the official worth site, but it's soo poorly organized that I can't seem to find an ordering screen... Only carriers of the brand.

I've heard that Martin makes a fluorocarbon string now, does anyone have personal experience with those?

I look forward to your answers.
The worth site just gives you the necessary info about the different strings. You'll have to order them through the dealers. Shipping would be cheaper from the states than from Japan. As far as Elderly is concerned, cheaper than some of the other online sites and they've been in business for a long time. I don't think you'll go wrong ordering from Elderly. MGM also has strings and you may have to email him as far as availability.

Some other flurocarbon strings; Blackline, Orcas. Haven't heard too much about the Martins, though. Bushman has strings also and from comparisons and reviews, louder than the Aquila. Might be worth the effort to try them.

Elderly does what they say they will do - plus. When you deal electronically, you need to have faith that the deeds will match the words. You can depend on Elderly to do what they say.

I think Elderly is someone's name there. It's not a bunch of geriatrics; they're a legitimate dealer with a good reputation. One of a handful of places that carry Worth strings.

MGM has Worths too; if there aren't any in his eBay store, you can usually email him and he'll post some for you to buy.

Haven't tried the new Martin strings, but as a fan of pishing line strings, I'm curious.

I've ordered books, strings and even a uke from Elderly and have gotten great results every time! I have their site bookmarked and am on their mailing-list. Good people.

I don't like Martin Strings, I prefer Worth. Martin soprano strings are listed as Canadian tuning ADF#B.

I was gonna a pack of Worth Browns but Elderly wanted $4.80 for shipping. :eek:
I'm just wanna wait until MGM has them in stock.

RE Martin Strings

I've got some Martin clear fluorocarbon strings on my Flea at the moment. I put Aquilas on it when I first got it, but it was a bit too loud. Heavy-handed strumming made the springs on my snare drum rattle from across the room(!)

I thought I'd try the Martins to see if they restrained the Flea a bit, and they have. I like them, but I know I'm probably in the minority, lots of people don't. (The logic for trying them being that the Martins on my acoustic guitar sound great so it was worth the £4 to try them out.)

IMHO they're cheap enough to make them worth a try.

Top Bottom