Road Toad Mana Series!!!

Spooner

Reaction score
039MA_body.JPG

Discuss. :)

The uke...gorgeous! Whatever that is in the soundhole is an eyesore though.

I'm guessing the battery pack for the piezoelectric pickup. This thing reminds me of a Mexican Requinto Jarocho: http://www.artesalazar.com/requinto-jarocho.html
yhst-90038644061660_2042_21752712

I LOVE Road Toad Pineapples.
uke_006CP_medium.jpg

I made the mistake of looking at your pineapple collection in your photo album. That's when I went pillaging over at Road Toad...that pineapple inspired it.

By the way...AWESOME collection....and holy mother of all things sacred...how many do you have?

They ain't all mine, some are future acquisition after i make my first million. :D
I think I only have 6 pineapples so far. ;)

They ain't all mine, some are future acquisition after i make my first million. :D

Ah...gotcha.

Ya know I think I figured out how guys like us with UAS can actually be satisfied....open up an ukulele store. :biglaugh:

Of course...we'd probably have to sell SOME of them at least.

You have the Road Toad Pineapple in your collection?

I'd love to own something from Road Toad one day. The Mana series is bizarre, but totally awesome. The pineapple might even be cooler!

Saw someone playing their bass uke over the weekend at NY Uke Fest. Sounded like an upright! Really neat instrument.

Personally, I kinda like the design and overall look. I'm curious about it's tonal quality and how it sounds.

I think the Mana (loosely translated means spirit) will have it's own distinct sound. Owen had to do research on the acoustics properties otherwise he wouldn't be advertising and building them.

The uke...gorgeous! Whatever that is in the soundhole is an eyesore though.

Kind of looks like a sliding volume control to me....

Kind of looks like a sliding volume control to me....
That's kind of what I figured. I wish it was mounted sideways and hidden under the lip of the soundhole though.

The other thing I'm not crazy about is the bookmatched top...given the asymmetry of the body it would have looked better if the top was one piece.

I still love it though.

I've heard and seen the bass uke and this Uke can thump! A friend of mine has ordered one from Road Toad, can't wait to Jam with him. They will soon be available from Kala as a joint venture with Road Toad, you can hear the demo on the Kala website or Youtube.

Last edited:

You have to check out Ohana's new pineapple solid mahogany uke. It is sweet!

Before my mindset switched from Tenor to Soprano last year I conferred with Owen about the Mana. I was looking for a body shape that had a lot of uninterrupted soundboard to vibrate, which should add sustain, volume and a warm tone. Owen pretty much confirmed that the Mana did that.

The soundhole is ideal for 9-volt powered preamps, so you can easily change the battery, which you can't in most ukes. That is a slider. But there are many other options he could install that wouldn't be visible.

At the time, Owen had made 2 and both were both were long gone and loved. He didn't have a sound clip at the time. In addition to being one of the most innovative uke luthiers out there he is a very cordial and down-to-earth guy.

Top Bottom