Favorite Soprano Strings

Ed1

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
After buying a Kamaka HF-1 and reading the "Soprano by Choice" thread I would like to try some different strings because I'm not sure the Kamaka nylons are for me. So for all you folks more experienced than me what are your favorite strings? It doesn't matter if you play hard, soft, strum or fingerpick, what do you like? I'm just looking for ideas. Thanks.

Fluorocarbon is my go to string choice. Worth or Martin are what I've used, but some people swear by Living Waters. If it wasn't for the squeaking, I like Aquila Sugars a lot. They don't squeak for everyone, so might be worth a try. Also, for future reference, Mimmo's working on a squeakless version.

I like lightweight clear nylon strings for soprano. Harley Benton (from thomann.de) are nice and light. They take a while to bed in, but are then very stable, also very inexpensive. GHS do a similar lightweight nylon string. If I could be bothered to find the right gauge of fishing line I'd probably enjoy that as much too.

I like clear flouros on sopranos, Worth, Oasis Bright or Martin, but mostly Martin M600, as they are a bit thicker, which I like. Some very accomplished soprano players prefer Aquila Nylguts, so try those too. The only way to find your preference is to try a few different sets. Not too expensive, and can also be a fun journey.

A fellow HF1 uker! I had the stock black strings on my HF1 for some time as I enjoyed that warm mellow lazy afternoon kind of sound. After a while, it gets a little boring and I switched to pHD fluorocarbon low G which literally transformed the sound completely. Exaggerating slightly here, I felt that as if the uke woke up! Haha. Have not take them off since.

I tinker quite a bit with a variety of string make and type. I had the same pHD on my Martin C1K, a solid koa concert uke similar to HF1 and it sounded meh. Put back on the M600 or the new graphite and its back with the jangle. I guess different ukes different strings.

I like the Fremont blacks. My Famous/Kiwaya just didn’t sound right until I started using them.

Worth Browns are my preference on all of my instruments, but as has been suggested, try a few different brands until you find the one that you like best and that sounds the way you want it to.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm waiting for my strings by mail order to arrive, with mostly different fluorocarbons that you all mentioned. I didn't think about a low g for the soprano, but I'll order another set or two and give that a try. I expect I'll change them every month to see if I can find a favorite. I noticed that the Fremont clear and Worth clear (CM) are the same diameters, so I'll try them back to back to see if I can tell the difference. Thanks again.

Top Bottom