Contemporary Worship Music on Uke

cpatch

Reaction score
Along the lines of Tsani's thread on sacred music, is anyone doing any kind of contemporary worship music?

I do a version of Micah 6:8 that I really enjoy. Ir's really simple repeating and going up in key after each verse. I'll try to get a vid up.

I play some Vineyard, Passion, Chris Tomlin, Charlie Hall, Shane and Shane, Enter the Worship Circle and others. As a matter of fact until this school year i only played Christian music.

Like who? Mercy Me? Jeremy Camp? etc?
Yes, or artists like Matt Redman and Tim Hughes. I'd even go for TobyMac or Relient K...uke has no limits!

I play some Vineyard, Passion, Chris Tomlin, Charlie Hall, Shane and Shane, Enter the Worship Circle and others. As a matter of fact until this school year i only played Christian music.
Any videos or audio?

I find myself stumbling across all sorts of tunes while playing the uke.

I even stumble across this type of stuff.

I've played How Great Thou Art, Eagle's Wings, Angels We Have Heard On High and a ton of others.

I figure..play through them. Maybe it will score me some points with the Big Guy. :D

I do. Worship music is usually made up of simple 3 or 4 chord progressions, so the uke really works well with a lot of songs. From my experience, the higher pitch uke complements the acoustic guitar, and can break up the monotony that can arise after years of playing some of the same songs. For example, the song "My Redeemer Lives" sounds amazing and fresh when uke-ified. Most of Tomlin's and Crowder's songs can be easily adapted to the uke.

I would love to hear how others use the uke in their worship services, and would love to learn some great solo arrangements to play during offering or communion.

I am excited that my new Pono is going to be making it's debut this Sunday. ;)

Hey, Cpatch, I do some contemporary as well, but I am focussed on more traditional hymnody for now.

Seriously guys, lets get some videos up and post them in a "Sunday" thread. I would like to be able to check in every Sunday on UU and see some new worship music on uke.

I checked out Middleton. He's awesome. Lots of great stuff.

Hey, Cpatch, I do some contemporary as well, but I am focussed on more traditional hymnody for now.

Seriously guys, lets get some videos up and post them in a "Sunday" thread. I would like to be able to check in every Sunday on UU and see some new worship music on uke.

I checked out Middleton. He's awesome. Lots of great stuff.

Why dont you guys start a contest. ;)

Why dont you guys start a contest. ;)

I thought about offering a contest when I did my ukulele comparison video. I did a worship song and was going to see if anyone could name the song. I don't like doing contest with God involved. I think worship is about the heart and not the skill, But i'll host a contest once i get back from Hawai'i. I got a martin backpacker guitar that has a crack in it that is still playable and could be offered as a prize.

Cpatch. I'll be getting some videos up soon. I have a small list of songs that i want to blend together and we will see how that works.

I'd like to see that, too!

I play a version of "Land of the Free" by Andrew Peterson on the uke. He plays his version on a charango, a 10-string (5 courses of 2 strings) instrument that looks like an uke. It's a fun little song, and the chords are pretty straightforward.

Here's a video that contains Andrew Peterson's studio version of the song:

And here's an Andrew Peterson video that contains a live version of the song; near the end, he shows the audience the back of his charango, which is an armadillo shell.

Last edited:
what I'd like to see is some Shane and Shane done on the uke. THose guys rock ut on a guitar and the chords just look crazy to me.

I play in my praise band at our contemporary service. There are 2 videos of us on my youtube page. I play all of the songs so really the sky is the limit on the songs I think!

I play in my praise band at our contemporary service. There are 2 videos of us on my youtube page. I play all of the songs so really the sky is the limit on the songs I think!

You are right the sky is the limit. Anything that can be done on the guitar can be done on the ukulele and if it is too difficult is it really good for worship?
I envision myself as a Jason Upton on the ukulele or a Jeremy Riddle. I never knew there were so many christian ukers out there. It is summer time now. Kids just went home three hours ago and I am trying to wrap up all my final paper work so i can take half a day next week to catch a plane. maybe I need to try and organize a song list with songs that are fairly easy to play ion the uke for us "Jesus" folks.

UkuleleHill-You need to get some solo stuff up. How Great is Our God is a good one to play. Wished I could have heard the uke a little better. Not bad videos though.

Last edited:
I too would be interested in a designated spot on UU for all types of Sacred Music. I like all types from traditional hymnody to gospel bluegrass, praise and contemporary to old Catholic classics. Great idea!

Top Bottom