Chinese made ukuleles and COVID19

Nickie

Reaction score
I've heard twice this week that so many people in China have fallen victim to this horrible illness, that most factories are producing at only 10% capacity.
Does anyone have any idea how this will effect Chinese ukulele sales, and to what degree?

I'm not sure that anyone knows the true impact of all of this yet. Any instruments arriving on shelves right now have likely spent many weeks going through shipping to port -> export process -> time on container ship -> import process -> shipping from port chain, so I doubt we will see much of a change immediately. If the production shutdown is prolonged, I would guess that the impact on the end consumer will start to appear in about ~2 months.

I don't have any insider knowledge here, just speculation on my part. But it is an interesting question.

Estimates for general sector (not specific to instruments) is that if things continue as they are now into April, then we should expect to see visible disruption in supply.

@Cluze can I PM you something about your Silver? I noticed something with mine and am not sure if it's a unique issue or all the Silvers.

as you know, we have a big business of our ukulele strings in China, Taiwan and HK. Only a few facotry are open BUT the authorized workers are just 10% on the total just in order to keep the factory alive. T
he chinese government gave to these few workers the autorizzation but at the condition that they do not come back home at all. In practice they are in quarantine into the factory so they must have everything, such as foods, clothes etc etc. This what our distributor located in china told us.

There are no problems at all about the ukuleles that come from China: 4 weeks of boath is a long time even for most terrible virus.
take care.

Mimmo -Aquilastrings headquarter, Italy

That's ghastly, Mimmo! Thanks for letting us know. Workers in China have a hard life.

do you mean the Corona virus?

do you mean the Corona virus?

Yes. "Coronavirus" is a broad term describing a large group of viruses. There isn't just one single "coronavirus." Some strains of coronavirus are quite mild and are responsible for some colds. (As an aside, "the cold" isn't one thing either. You don't really get "the cold" you get *a* cold. It is a catch-all term for a bunch of different viral infections. The most common types are caused by different strains of rhinovirus, but some are caused by different strains of coronavirus.) Other coronavirus strains have been responsible for things like the SARS outbreak back in the early 2000's.

This particular outbreak, here in 2020, is due to a particular strain of coronavirus called "coronavirus disease 2019" or "COVID-19". The name distinguishes it from other strains of coronavirus.

(Yes, this was probably way more than you were asking, but I teach at a university. I can't help myself when someone asks a question that I can answer...)

EDIT: I should note that I don't teach medicine or infectious disease. I'm a physicist, so I'm the other kind of doctor, but... I am married to the medical type of doctor so I hear about these things.

Last edited:
I think there's two parts to this.
First being the delays in manufacturing because of shutdowns. I think they extended the chinese newyear celebrations for an extra week or so, so from an output stance, there will surly be slight blip.

Second is, do you trust that a chinese manufactured item is "clean". There are many market fears, and we've seen the stock market reflect that heavily in the last few weeks especially. They dont seem to have solid data yet, but corona virus like birdflu/sars, only remain viable on a surface for about 9 days, compared to influenza which only stays viable for about 2 days. So, chances are unless you have some kinda fast expedited shipping, by the time you get a product from china, it should be safe. That said.... china is no longer the only place to be worried about. coved19 is now affecting the whole globe, and it's spread is fast and unpredictable, so there isn't a "safe" place.

I don't want that to sound scary, just saying that china is no longer any scarier than any other place. ( some might find that more disturbing than comforting )

I think there's two parts to this.
First being the delays in manufacturing because of shutdowns. I think they extended the chinese newyear celebrations for an extra week or so, so from an output stance, there will surly be slight blip.

Second is, do you trust that a chinese manufactured item is "clean". There are many market fears, and we've seen the stock market reflect that heavily in the last few weeks especially. They dont seem to have solid data yet, but corona virus like birdflu/sars, only remain viable on a surface for about 9 days, compared to influenza which only stays viable for about 2 days. So, chances are unless you have some kinda fast expedited shipping, by the time you get a product from china, it should be safe. That said.... china is no longer the only place to be worried about. coved19 is now affecting the whole globe, and it's spread is fast and unpredictable, so there isn't a "safe" place.

I don't want that to sound scary, just saying that china is no longer any scarier than any other place. ( some might find that more disturbing than comforting )

As of today -

gh.jpg

Maybe we should pause non essential imports from all affected countries, not just China

The biggest problem is the incubation period. It was believed to be 7 to 10 days. But the have been cases of people not having any symptoms for 2-1/2 weeks to over three weeks. It is also mutating rapidly, so it's hard to produce an effective vaccine or anti-viral drug.

Effective face masks will become de riguer. As will fist bumps instead of handshakes.

Hopefully, the US is restaffing its pandemic and CDC people.

I am not a medical person, nor have I played one on TV.

Yes, too many people are poorly informed. I live in Chinatown Honolulu and, by gum, it's like a ghost town. Folks are afraid to shop and dine here. Oddly enough, not very many Chinese in Chinatown...mostly other Asians and yuppie puppy art fart galleries, eateries and bars. But anything with "China" in the name sends folks running for cover. The local stores have pretty much run out of bottled water, surgical masks and toilet paper (!) because Honolulu residences are preparing for an epidemic. This ain't good for tourism and especially for concerts and 'ukulele festivals.

Low cost ukuleles are made across Asia. China is one of many manufacturing countries.There will still be a good supply of low cost ukuleles available. The planet has become so dependent on China, this wont be true for all products, some retailers are going to run out of product and go broke because the supply chain is broken while the factories are closed.

The Made in China brands like Mahalo and Kala and Ohana are well known, but they are not the only low cost ukuleles available. Indonesia, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, etc all have ukulele making facilities. No doubt since they are competitive for market space, they will be happy to take up whatever is lost by China. You may just see different brands in your local shop. The massive range of Fender ukuleles are made in Indonesia, the broken supply chain from China may see Fender take up more ukulele space in your local shop. for example?

So far I have not seen any evidence that the virus can be transmitted to a human from a piece of wood. In fact the authorities say that the best way to protect against getting the virus is to simply wash your hands and face, and keep the germs away from your mouth and nose. If your ukulele is exposed to any serious germs and they stay on the wood, you will get sick if you get the germs on your hands and don't wash them before eating or putting your fingers in your mouth. So where have you been today with your ukulele, what germs are already there lurking, why aren't you protecting yourself against them already?

It is amazing how ignorant some people are. The COVID19 name was implemented days ago. You really need to start reading the health literature if you have to ask what COVID19 is. If you don't your ignorance may actually make you very sick or cause death.

Don't forget your eyes and nose. Rubbing your eyes and inhaling through your nose, or wiping it on your sleeve.

Look, the same precautions used to prevent catching the Flu or a Cold will also work for COVID19. It is most likely transmitted as an aerosol caused by coughing and sneezing. Followed by touch of a contaminated surface. Wash your hands and face frequently.

If you cough or sneeze, do it into a tissue or use your sleeve instead of your hand to cover your mouth. If you're going to be around a lot of people, wear a mask. Wash your clothes.

Stay away from children. They are little germ factories! :p

And yes, I am concerned. I am over 65 and I have asthma. A prime candidate. But I'm not going to be terrified and live as a hermit because of it.

If they're working at only 10%, when the ukes in this country sell out (if they do), getting one made in China will be difficult, if not impossible. I wouldn't worry too much though, I'm sure there are lots of them in buildings all over the country. The Enya, for example, ships from Texas.

As an alternative, we'll have to start buying more K ukes from Hawaii, and Martins, and Bonanzas, etc.

mm..... maybe you should take a few of your spare time and visit the China music fair in Shanghai, next October. China only produce almost 80 % of all the ukuleles available in the world. The other ones are made in Indonesia and Vietnam up till 90-95% of the total. They are millions and millions per year. Those fews made out of these Countries are very expensive and of high quality.
Very few people can do the efford to buy one, begginners expecially.
Greeting form Northen Italy (Corona virus is all around us but we are in relax following instruction and no panic at all)
Mimmo Peruffo (Aquistrings owner)

Last edited:
mm..... maybe you should take a few of your spare time and visit the China music fair in Shanghai, next October. China only produce almost 80 % of all the ukuleles available in the world. The other ones are made in Indonesia and Vietnam up till 90-95% of the total. They are millions and millions per year. Those fews made out of these Countries are very expensive and of high quality.
Very few people can do the efford to buy one, begginners expecially.
Greeting form Northen Italy (Corona virus is all around us but we are in relax following instruction and no panic at all)
Mimmo Peruffo (Aquistrings owner)

Hi Mimmo,

Thanks for the information. Doesn't a high percentage of the ukuleles made in China get sold to people in China and Asia?

The best to you, your family, friends and employees. Stay safe—and wash your hands.

... ...China only produce almost 80 % of all the ukuleles available in the world. The other ones are made in Indonesia and Vietnam up till 90-95% of the total. ... ...
Of those 3 (China, Indonesia, Vietnam), my experience is number 1 with ukes made in Indonesia, and a very distant 3rd for Vietnam.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I ordered a uke from China, via EBAY, on 1/19/2020. It was delivered yesterday, 3/2/2020. Not bad, wot?

Top Bottom