tuning question...

Andybeans

Reaction score
i just recieved a new ukulele in the mail (oscar shmidt tenor) and when i got it, it was tuned to DGBE... well, thats what it was supposed to be, it was really out from that. since it's tuned to DGBE, can the strings tune up to GCEA without damage? also, the C string is made of steel, like a guitar string. is that bad?

i just recieved a new ukulele in the mail (oscar shmidt tenor) and when i got it, it was tuned to DGBE... well, thats what it was supposed to be, it was really out from that. since it's tuned to DGBE, can the strings tune up to GCEA without damage? also, the C string is made of steel, like a guitar string. is that bad?

Yes, the C string is usually wound on a tenor. If it came with DGBE strings you may not be able to tune them up to GCEA, it depends on the strings and how much tension they will take. You can try and you should be able to feel if the strings are getting stretched to hard. Start by tuning them in to DGBE and then if they still feel pretty loose try tuning them up higher.

Come to think of it I've never heard of DGBE with reentrant tuning if they were DGBE strings you'd probably have two wound strings, both the D and the G, I could be wrong about this, if so someone please correct me...

If only the C string is wound then its probably not meant to be tuned DGBE. Its probably a gCEA set.

Its a metal wire wrapped around a nylon core. Your c string is a wound string and rest are plain strings.

oh lol. well, the thing is, when i try to tune it, up or down, it makes a clicking noise. i'm not sure if thats good, and it kinda scares me >_>

the clicking noise is probably just the string slipping a little around the tuner, or tightening on the saddle.

Last edited:
so do you think it would be okay to tune it up?

If youre concerned...tune it up slowly:

1) Dont tune each string up to the proper key at first.
2) Tune each string a little at a time
3) Wear protective goggles and be prepared to duck

That's strange, Oscar Schmidt tenors usually come with GHS strings with a wound C in reentrant tuning (gCEA).. Baritones are traditionally in DGBE (first 4 guitar strings). Are you sure they are DGBE strings? Or that your uke is not a baritone? If it is a tenor, I recommend replacing those strings anyway. I have an Oscar Schmidt tenor and it made a big difference when I put aquilas on it. I think those are a little bright for me though, and I'll be putting on some d'addario pro artes next.

well, i figured it out. they're the right kind of strings, it's just that the nut was too small for the C string. i had it filed down in a shop, and now it's amazing. thanks for all your help guys.

I have a Tenor Kala strung with Aquila's in re-entrant dGBE. Yes, they do make such a set. The G is wound and the other three are a tiny bit heavier than the standard gCEA set that came on it.

Tuning up to standard from DGBE is a five fret stretch, so I'd go with the suggestion of wearing a helmet and maybe some goggles. Something's going to give. If in doubt, it's only $5 to buy a known set and go from there. Your eyes are worth $5, aren't they?

Edit: I'm glad to see you got it figured out.

Last edited:
i think i'm going to replace the strings, the tension on them right now is waaaay to high. what set would you guys reccomend? i'd prefer a lighter gauge, if possible. i heard that aquila strings are nice.

Aquilas are a nice string.

I like worth strings, are available in lower tensions, also they have no wound strings if you didn't like the wound third.

I have Aquila Nylguts on my Oscar Schmidt tenor right now and I think they are too bright. I much prefer a wound C, I have learned.. I am going to try to find d'Addario Pro Artes with a wound C for some more warmth and low-end. Does anyone know if you can order those with a wound C?

Top Bottom