Pigeon Tree Ukulele African Blackwood

kookoolele

Reaction score
On the 20.6 "episode" of HMS, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbmQUcvn8Q0&t=3452s, they featured four custom ukes from Pigeon Tree, http://pigeontreecustomukulele.com/.

5:36 Pigeon Tree “Winter” Cedar Top African Blackwood Tenor
12:47 Pigeon Tree “Spring” German Spruce Top African Blackwood Tenor
20:51 Pigeon Tree “Summer” Adirondack Spruce Top African Blackwood Tenor
27:10 Pigeon Tree “Fall” Toerrefied Spruce Top African Blackwood Tenor​

If you've seen the video that was uploaded 3 days ago, it probably wouldn't surprise you to know that they are all gone. At the price point, it was but a dream, but still I would have loved to own Summer. :iwant:

One thing I noticed is the common use of African Blackwood for back/sides. I'm curious as to what other builds might be using this tonewood.

So... is anyone at UU an owner of one/all of these beauties? Do you have experience with African Blackwood, which I understand is distinct from the Tasmanian wood.

It’s not one of the Pigeon Trees, but good_uke_boy posted a NUD of his Adi Spruce/African Blackwood Hive a little over a year ago. Link below. I think he may have posted a YouTube video as well if I’m not mistaken.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...an-Blackwood&highlight=African+Blackwood+hive

He even posted a great rendition of I Still Can’t Say Goodbye by Chet Atkins. It sure sounds lovely to me.

https://youtu.be/7epRs9IIeh8
Cool! Thanks for sharing this! Very similar body shape, which seems to also be similar to the Barron River ukuleles. So much temptation!

I picked up Spring :smileybounce:

I had been eyeing Summer as well from HMS's vimeo. When I opened HMS yesterday, I think it was Fall and Spring that were left. As I was thinking about it one sold. That gave me some encouragement to pull the trigger for Spring.

I had been itching for a new uke and think it will complement my Ko'olau CS Myrtle very well. Can't wait for it to come in. I'll post something once it gets here.

I had been eyeing Summer as well from HMS's vimeo. When I opened HMS yesterday, I think it was Fall and Spring that were left. As I was thinking about it one sold. That gave me some encouragement to pull the trigger for Spring.

I had been itching for a new uke and think it will complement my Ko'olau CS Myrtle very well. Can't wait for it to come in. I'll post something once it gets here.

Well done. Looking forward to your review.

Huzzah! Can't wait and thanks in advance for sharing with us! (Also congrats on what I'm sure is going to be an awesome uke!) :shaka:

African Blackwood = Dalbergia melanoxylan rosewood family

Tasmanian Blackwood = Acacia melanoxylon acacia family

From the Wood Database:

African Blackwood:
Sustainability: African blackwood is listed on CITES appendix II under the genus-wide restriction on all Dalbergia species—which also includes finished products made of the wood. It’s also reported by the IUCN as being near threatened. Technically it doesn’t meet the Red List criteria of a vulnerable or endangered species, but is close to qualifying and/or may qualify in the near future.

Tasmanian Blackwood
Sustainability: This wood species is not listed in the CITES Appendices or on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.

Thanks, Bill. I knew they were different but it's good to know about the prospective CITES status for the African Blackwood.

Congrats on the African Blackwood uke! I’m still a huge fan of mine.

Holy smokes.
Good lord.
OMG.
Geezus.

I just got goosebumps listening to them being played. I shoulda been a millionaire.

Holy smokes.
Good lord.
OMG.
Geezus.

I just got goosebumps listening to them being played. I shoulda been a millionaire.

Yes. I think they are pretty amazing. HMS has been bringing in a lot of really special customs lately. They just uploaded a new Petros about an hour ago. Still, I think these Pigeon Tree ukes really are something.

Yes. I think they are pretty amazing. HMS has been bringing in a lot of really special customs lately. They just uploaded a new Petros about an hour ago. Still, I think these Pigeon Tree ukes really are something.

Wow. The Petros ukuleles are the only thing I've heard that compare with the Pigeon Tree ukes. If any ukes are to 'die for' those two brands are!

"Spring" is back for sale on the HMS site. Is there a backstory here that you can share?

I got a couple of private message and realized I should have updated everyone one the main thread.

I have not been logging in that much in the last few months and didn't see any of the updates.

So, I had to let the Pigeon Tree go. After sleeping on it a couple of days and talking to my wife, it just wasn't the right time to make a purchase like that for us. We were refinancing the house at the time and had some last minute travel for family. Money was just going out to too many places for me. Anyway, I had been eyeing African Blackwood for awhile and this one looked and sounded so great, I jumped on it. After we decided it wasn't the right time, I knew if it had been delivered I wouldn't want to let it go so I canceled it before it was shipped. So unfortunately I have not played it, but it looks to be a fantastic instrument and I'm sure anyone who picks it up will be very happy with it.

Top Bottom