total n00b, Kamaka or KoAloha concert

n0otro

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm a total n00b and have been trying to decide for a few weeks now what kind of Ukulele to go with as a beginner. For the longest time I was convinced that I wanted a Kamaka Soprano, partially because of the Kamaka name, and partially because I know it's a quality instrument that would be very hard to go wrong with.

Over the past week or so I changed my mind and decided to get a Concert instead of the soprano, and decided that I also like the look of the KoAloha concerts.

At any rate, I have two options that have presented themselves to me:

1) Buy a second hand Kamaka Concert that was never used and stored in the closet for the past year so it's in mint condition - $600 for just the Ukulele

2) Buy a brand new KoAloha Concert + tuner + hard case + humidifier - $660

I'm really having a hard time trying to decide where my money is best spent. It's really hard to go wrong with either instrument, I guess all i'm asking is if anyone here owns, or has played both a KoAloha & Kamaka Concert and can tell me which way I should tip the boat.

Thanks and Aloha!

Hi Guys,

I'm a total n00b and have been trying to decide for a few weeks now what kind of Ukulele to go with as a beginner. For the longest time I was convinced that I wanted a Kamaka Soprano, partially because of the Kamaka name, and partially because I know it's a quality instrument that would be very hard to go wrong with.

Over the past week or so I changed my mind and decided to get a Concert instead of the soprano, and decided that I also like the look of the KoAloha concerts.

At any rate, I have two options that have presented themselves to me:

1) Buy a second hand Kamaka Concert that was never used and stored in the closet for the past year so it's in mint condition - $600 for just the Ukulele

2) Buy a brand new KoAloha Concert + tuner + hard case + humidifier - $660

I'm really having a hard time trying to decide where my money is best spent. It's really hard to go wrong with either instrument, I guess all i'm asking is if anyone here owns, or has played both a KoAloha & Kamaka Concert and can tell me which way I should tip the boat.

Thanks and Aloha!

nice expensive choices for a noob....

can't go wrong with either.

But I'd get the Ko'aloha, (as that is the one i'm drooling over)

Holy crap, those ain't no noob instruments. But yeah, get the KoAloha.

Depends on definition of Noob...

One who wants to se eif he wants to spend the time to learn.

Or someone who Knows he wants to learn and will stick with it.

If he is the 2nd kind, why not get a quality instrument first?

or.. he has money (or someones money) to spend, why not?

Holy crap, those ain't no noob instruments. But yeah, get the KoAloha.

I could have saved myself some bucks if I bought my Kanile'a as my first uke, but I get what you are saying.

Lots of different economic levels post on this board. If you have never played, then what you need to think about before buying either uke is that the uke may not be for you. If the uke is for you, then you are looking at some fine instruments. If the uke is not for you, but you have lots of disposable cash then your are looking at some fine instruments.

But

If you have to live on some kind of budget, there are lots of decent instruments out there that cost 1/3 to 1/4 what you are talking about paying. Thats the route I took at first. My thinking was "If I don't stick with this, I'm only out 170$". Turned out that the uke jumps into my hands every day.

I hope that's how it turns out for you. The ability to make your own music is a wonderful gift.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I was leaning toward the KoAloha anyway, but getting a second hand Kamaka Concert in mint condition for $600 seemed like a really nice deal.
I personally like the look of the KoAloha uke more. I know it really comes down to how it feels in your hands and how it sounds, unfortunately i'm too much of a n00b and haven't experienced the sound of enough different Ukulele's to be able to choose an instrument that "sounds better" so I mostly have to go on how it looks and feels, and how other people say it sounds.

I would put myself into the latter category that JT_ukes described...

I know the ukulele is an instrument that I will eventually learn to play. I'd rather do it right the first time and buy a high quality instrument and be thoroughly satisfied with my initial purchase than to buy a decent-quality instrument and always wish I had just gotten the KoAloha (or Kamaka)

I will be buying this Ukulele with my own hard earned cash, but I consider it as a present to myself for finishing my PhD. I've been living in Honolulu for the past 5 years and will be moving back to the mainland within the year so i'd like to have a high quality souvenir to take with me to remind me of the awesome 5 years i've had on this rock. The only regret I have is that I didn't start playing the ukulele earlier!

Thanks and Aloha!

Last edited:
Good choice -- and that is a good price for the Kamaka, but even if it hasn't been played, any used instrument could have issues that you wouldn't want to deal with if you're just beginning. So better to get the new uke with all the fixin's, especially as you seem to like it better anyway.

Enjoy!

Hmm. Between Kamaka & Koaloha.....I too go with the latter. I am an avid Kanilea fan though. Surprise no mention of them.

Another vote for the KoAloha, although I am a tenor man, rather than a concert man. I would encourage you to go ahead with a quality instrument as your first purchase. A couple of years ago I decided that guitar wasn't enough to drive me crazy, so I wanted to get into ukulele. Someone actually gave me a Lanikai and the thing almost turned me away from the instrument completely. In my guitars, I don't have astronomically expensive instruments but I do have a high quality Spanish classical and a Martin small body steel string--they are very playable with superb tone. I decided to get an upgraded ukulele and a new KoAloha tenor came available. The difference was astounding in both playability and tone. The extra $400 or so was well worth it. Good luck.

Jon

Both are good choices. I play a KoAloha Tenor, and until I get the need to buy a kamaka HF-3, I don't think I'll be playing one of those soon :)

But I chose the KoAloha for two reasons.
1) consistency
2) beautiful

Hmm. Between Kamaka & Koaloha.....I too go with the latter. I am an avid Kanilea fan though. Surprise no mention of them.

Funny you said that, because after my last post I was looking at other Ukulele's that are being sold by the guy where i'll buy the KoAloha from (if I decide to go that route) and saw several Kanilea's that he's selling at a good price that look pretty nice. Just to add another level of indecision to my imminent purchase.

At any rate, i'm planning on stopping by his place of business sometime this weekend to take a look at the KoAloha's and Kanilea's and hopefully make my final decision then.

Thank you to everyone for your opinions (even though everyone except for one person gave me the same advice! :D ).

I'll take some pics and post them when I finally take the plunge!

Aloha! :shaka:

Top Bottom