Nut Nut

gp-ak

Reaction score
Made of Tagua nut, apparently the same density as ivory!
Step 1: Admire the nut
nut1.jpg

Step 2: Sand off the outer cover

nut2.jpg

Step 3: Hack a little stick out of it.

nut3.jpg

Unfortunatly this one has a weird hole in it, so tomorrow im going to carve out another one and and test it out. I bet if you managed right you could get 3-4 nuts out of a single nut.

Tagua Nuts are really beautiful. They are hard as all get out by the time they get to the states. All of them have voids somewhere in the nut. Definitely a challenge when carving them. But if everything works out you really have something.

That is really cool! I had no knowledge of these things. What are they used for? Doesn't sound like they are eddible.

When I first saw the thread title "Nut Nut" I wanted to post - "Who's there?":D

That is really cool! I had no knowledge of these things. What are they used for? Doesn't sound like they are eddible.

When I first saw the thread title "Nut Nut" I wanted to post - "Who's there?":D

There mostly used by carvers because its so like ivory. I lot of buttons were made from Tagua back before plastics. When they are first harvested they have a liquid in the middle that is edible, but by the time they get to here they are way to hard to eat.

I wonder if the tree could be grown here. I've seen tagua nuts online and in catalogs, but never ordered one. If I did, it would sit somewhere in my office, buried under the mess of papers and "stuff". I keep my shop nice and clean, but my office is a different story. I'm hardly in there and when I am, chances are, I'm spending too much time looking for something that I need.

I personally have never seen a Tagua nut long enough for a nut. I carve these and also turn miniature hollow forms from them on my lathe, fun to work with. Even have carved some makau (Hawaiian fish hooks) from Tagua. Let us know how she works. I can get ready made bone nuts, and bridges from a local music store for under $3.00 so no reason for me to go that route, but very cool idea. :shaka:

Top Bottom