so... I'm changing my strings on my KoAloha and...

specialmike

Reaction score
So here I was changing my strings on LeeLa (that's what I named my beautiful ukulele). I had the d-addario tenor/Hawaiian black nylon on me at the time and I hadn't noticed the package had a wound C string.

So I get the old strings off, and start putting on the A, then the E, and then... I get to the C. And of course, I was surprised to find that it was aluminum, and wound! So here is my question:

WHO WOULD PUT AN ALUMINUM WOUND STRING ON AN INSTRUMENT DESIGNED FOR NYLON STRINGS? More Over, don't you think it "hurts" the ukulele.

Do any of you have a wound C string in your best ukulele? I'm surprised d'addario makes these and I'm shocked to have found out that I was so stupid to buy a pack that had the wound string :( I don't know, it seems sacrilegious almost to dare to even put an aluminum string into the bridge of my LeeLa... it almost seems like rape :D

So now I need to buy a new set of strings that will serve LeeLa justice. It'll be another week of less than perfect sounding strings.

Last edited:
Wound C's are actually pretty common. I don't like them at all. I'm biased, but I recomment the D'Addario Pro Artes.

Yeah man C strings can be wound. (Your not Stupid:shaka:) A lot (most) of low g strings are wound also. It shouldn't make that much difference in the sound. Some people like wound stings some don't.

If they sound good strum 'em. Just don't keep it a secret.

Yeah man C strings can be wound. (Your not Stupid:shaka:) A lot (most) of low g strings are wound also. It shouldn't make that much difference in the sound. Some people like wound stings some don't.

If they sound good strum 'em. Just don't keep it a secret.

A wound C string can add more lows to an instrument.

I do not put wounds on mine but I am just throwing it out there.

I've currently got Aquila low g on my Kanile'a. I absolutely hate wound strings (especially the slide guitar sound as you change chords) on a ukulele, but I don't like flourocarbons and so in order to maintain nylon on the other three strings, this is the only option I found. The D'addario has wound, so does Hilo and Aquila. And if I don't want Worth flourocarbon or Fremont flourocarbon, I'm stuck with a wound string.

You get used to it, though I still find myself trying to pick my fingers up from chord to chord rather than sliding them, and I still wish I could find another low g nylon option that would be wound-less.

I just put a set of no wound aquilas on my tenor. This only the second time that I have tried stringing an instrument without the wound string. They have a crazy amount of sustain compared to the straight nylon ones. If they were available I would use all wound strings, But I do appreciate that having just one adds an off balance sound to your strumming. It is easy to compensate by using a sort of a muted touch with the finger that is pressing on the wound string when you play a chord. By the way this is why I really like the KALA red strings, because the are wound with nylon instead of metal and it eliminates the different sustain effect.

And yes, the wound strings are still nylon on the inside.

Top Bottom