Ukuleles Don't Shed

MangoMon

Reaction score
On occasion, my wife will see I’m reading reviews or what appears to be shopping for another uke. I get the, “You don’t need another one,” speech. I think I have found a solution to avoid this. I’ll find websites that sell monkeys (primatestore.com or marmosetmom.com), crocodiles (kingsnake.com), or mail-order brides (pick any site) and leave these sites on the computer. Then I lay my credit card next to the key board. The next time I’m looking at ukes, it doesn’t seem too bad.

My parent are the same way with me. I'm still kind of living at home, but most of my year is spent at university.

They still think that I have 2 ukes.... but I have 8 at the moment hahaa. Its not too difficult to keep them hidden as long as they don't go rooting through all my stuff...

It's an expensive hobby to be sure... Just buy her some jewelry or something whenever you buy a uke.

I have special money I keep set aside for buying ukes and tattoos.

My parent are the same way with me. I'm still kind of living at home, but most of my year is spent at university.

They still think that I have 2 ukes.... but I have 8 at the moment hahaa. Its not too difficult to keep them hidden as long as they don't go rooting through all my stuff...
Well aren't you the juvenile delinquent. All parents should have such problems.;)

Yeah...I've heard the "you're chasing the ukulele dragon" a time or two. :rolleyes::rotfl:

Before the ukulele, I bought a lot of motorcycles, sometimes riding two or three in a single year. I liked riding and always wanted to try out something new, so I'd sell what I had and buy the next one. Always lost money doing it, too, but it was the riding that I liked.

Ukuleles don't seem too bad, budget-wise, in comparison. A single bike would cost $7,500-$15,000. Plus insurance, safety, accessories, clothing, gas, repairs and maintenance... so I remind Susan that it's cheaper and safer for me to play the ukulele than it is to ride a motorcycle. That argument worked, at least until recently.

The two I'm expecting to receive this week may push it over the top. My mototcycles stayed in the garage. My ukuleles may end up there, soon, if I don't find a place from them that isn't in the living or dining rooms.​

My wife is OK with it as long as I can justify it and allow her to buy clothes. Her tastes aren't too expensive, so that's not bad.

Justifying them, however, is getting more difficult. It was easy when I didn't quite have one of each size... I can still say I need a sopranino, a soprano with a tenor neck, a banjolele, an Eleuke (so I don't wake the unborn baby when it gets born'd), and one day, a *nice* ukulele... and I've got that long to come up with other reasons why everyone needs MORE UKULELE!!!

I think she would enjoy a monkey LOL

Most females would love a money as a pet. I know my fiance wants one.

If the other half says anything when I talk about getting a new Uke I ask her how many shoes can you wear at one time????
She has about 100 pairs!!!!

At least what I collect is small Uke's, Tiki's, tiki mugs, bottles of rum.....

nice try

I think she would enjoy a monkey LOL

Most females would love a money as a pet. I know my fiance wants one.
I don't think you want a monkey and ukuleles in the same room... even on a trial basis. (I have a nephew who seriously wanted a monkey:eek:). I think any spouse can see through that one.

–Lori

Before the ukulele, I bought a lot of motorcycles, sometimes riding two or three in a single year. I liked riding and always wanted to try out something new, so I'd sell what I had and buy the next one. Always lost money doing it, too, but it was the riding that I liked.

Ukuleles don't seem too bad, budget-wise, in comparison. A single bike would cost $7,500-$15,000. Plus insurance, safety, accessories, clothing, gas, repairs and maintenance... so I remind Susan that it's cheaper and safer for me to play the ukulele than it is to ride a motorcycle. That argument worked, at least until recently.

The two I'm expecting to receive this week may push it over the top. My mototcycles stayed in the garage. My ukuleles may end up there, soon, if I don't find a place from them that isn't in the living or dining rooms.​

There has to be something that can go... do you have a bunch of VHS tapes taking up space... old outdated textbooks or magazines or computer manuals...stuff that is kind of there, that you have stopped using? Ukuleles are never a waste of space.

–Lori (living in 750 sq ft, 1 bedroom apt with in-home offices)

There has to be something that can go... do you have a bunch of VHS tapes taking up space... old outdated textbooks or magazines or computer manuals...stuff that is kind of there, that you have stopped using?
Not much. Susan resists me tossing out furniture or uprooting the garden to make storage space, and I resist tossing out books - admittedly a large and ungainly collection that is straining the seams of the house; overflowing onto floors and stairways, and lying in piles beside beds and on cabinets. But they're books, so they're sacred and can't be disposed of as if the were mere objects.

VHS? gone years ago.

My wife doesn't get it....and may never do so.

She was only mildly perturbed when I bought my first uke in January. "What do you need that for? I thought you said we needed to be careful with our spending in this economy?"

Then I bought the second one in April (I think). I should have been up front and told her first....I didn't. It wasn't expensive. Only $100. But she got mad. "How many of those things do you think you can play at once? What makes you think you need a whole collection of ukes? Don't even think about getting any more!"

I know there will be more. I'll just have to fight that fight when it happens....;)

Remind her how much money you saved...

The pet idea is a good one, as well as some of the other ideas that have been floated in this thread....

Buying stuff used or at a killer deal seems to work for me in my relationship.

"Honey, you'll never guess how much money I SAVED on this! It's practically an investment, I could sell it tomorrow for TWICE as much!" :D

Top Bottom