A little baritone

dave g

Reaction score
OK, so I'm really into playing baritone lately, but haven't got large enough saws & what-not to make a "proper" one for myself. So here's what I'm doing:

88.jpg

It's going to have my "Prim" (aka "teardrop") shaped body 2 1/2" thick, and an 18" scale length. A little short for a baritone, but with an un-reinforced neck the lesser string tension is probably a good idea structurally. Wormy and spalted maple, fir top, and I may splurge and do a rosewood fret board & bridge. Will end up about 27" long over-all. It's going to be pretty goofy looking, but I'll like it :D

That's going to be a pretty sweet sounding instrument. Can't wait to see/ hear it!

Cool, Dave! Lookin' forward to seeing pics when it's done. Any reason you chose the prim shape over other shapes, or just 'cause you like the look/feel?

I like the Prim idea, an out of the norm intrument, can't wait to see and hear her. :shaka:

The prim shape has the biggest "belly" of all the forms I've got. And, it can be stretched a little wider without any problems just by making the tails at the bottom longer. Has the best bass response.

Cool, Dave! Lookin' forward to seeing pics when it's done. Any reason you chose the prim shape over other shapes, or just 'cause you like the look/feel?

Yes, Dave, please post a video when it's done. I look forward to hearing this instrument!

Last edited:
Very nice job Dave. Great pics on the progress of your new uke.

Should get it done tomorrow:

88-3.jpg

Love that rosewood! Too bad it's so darn expensive...

outside mold

I like your outside mold. I just finished a lutherie course, and built my mold for an OM guitar with layers of plywood, and the cut ot the inside. But that looks a little more economical, and could possibly be modified for other sizes. Cool stuff. Anyone have other mold tips?

Irregular. I dig it. Are the tension on the strings lower, then? Does it feel awkward to play it then?

Top Bottom