Atmospheric advice sought ...

Sadhu

Reaction score
Day 37 of Lock-down here, and I´ve been catching up on a few jobs.
Yesterday I succeeded in hanging my ukes and guitars on the wall, for easy access. I used to hang the hard cases but that didn't work too well, and the instruments didn't see the light very often. The double bass and tenor sax live nearby.

I tried lining them up on the sofa, but then there was nowhere to sit.
So -- now they all hang from pegs and can be easily lifted down when the whim strikes. No fumbling with catches or hoping they don´t emulate dominoes along the sofa.

The flaw in my method becomes obvious, as usual, after the fact.

I live in the very south of Spain, and we are just emerging from a very welcome wet spell, into what will likely be a scorching summer.
I have kept the double doors which lead from the music room to the balcony because they were from the house where the builder of my house grew up, and they are lovely, if rather ancient and ill-fitting. So the room always has air moving around. OK - it´s draughty, I like the doors.

So having successfully put my instruments at the mercy of the Spanish summer, I have realised that some attempt should be made to stop them desiccating as rapidly as their owner. The floor is tiled, would a bit of mopping in the morning be useful?
Any advice would be gratefully received.

I'd add a hygrometer to the room and put at least semi-sheer curtains over any openings that would allow direct sunlight to hit the wall where the ukes and guitars are.

So, your summer will be a dry heat?

An evaporative room humidifier works well. (A fan draws air through a wet filter.) I use one with digital controls that allows me to set the RH I want ±1%. According to my hygrometers, it stays within ±2%.

Otherwise, you can get inexpensive ones without the controls. Turn it off and on using the hygrometer to guide you.

You do have to change the filters once a month or so. And the water tank needs filling and a cleaning every couple of weeks.

Stay safe.

I'd add a hygrometer to the room and put at least semi-sheer curtains over any openings that would allow direct sunlight to hit the wall where the ukes and guitars are.

The humidity for ukes is usually a greater issue in the winter than summer as the relative humidity is the issue. Cold air holds much less moisture. In summer, it is often too humid, which is not as great an issue as too dry. Hot weather means you have to hydrate more because you sweat it out. Get the hygrometer or just google "relative humidity" for where you live and see is it at least 40% in those summer months.

Many thanks for the advice and information, that´s given me plenty to go on. The rack is out of direct sunlight, and I´ve found a weather station which lists daily humidity so I´ll be able to see dry spells coming. (It´s 82% today.)
I´ll get a hygrometer so I can monitor the situation and see if a humidifier is necessary.
That´s eased my mind -- thanks again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GouPL2hNSg for UOGB fans ...

Top Bottom