New iPhone 3GS...video, edit, upload

cpatch

Reaction score
Apple just announced the new iPhone 3GS, which will be available next Friday (6/19) starting at $199. I'm mentioning it here because among other things it adds the ability to record 30fps VGA video, edit that video on the phone (trimming only at this point), and then upload directly to YouTube without needing a computer...perfect for capturing ukulele jams/performances and getting them online as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Apple just announced the new iPhone 3GS, which will be available next Friday (6/19) starting at $199. I'm mentioning it here because among other things it adds the ability to record 30fps VGA video, edit that video on the phone (trimming only at this point), and then upload directly to YouTube without needing a computer...perfect for capturing ukulele jams/performances and getting them online as quickly as possible.

Why do you do this to me Apple?

I need one. I have had the original iPhone, the iPhone 3G and now I want this!

This is just in time for my phone upgrade!!! :smileybounce:

Last edited:
It's not the price of the phone that's a problem for me. It's the price of the data plan. That's like a new Flea every other month! :(

JJ

Dang it hope it will be a part of the next software upgrade for the current phones... that would suck if it doesnt. If not, I still love my 3g iphone

Dang it hope it will be a part of the next software upgrade for the current phones... that would suck if it doesnt. If not, I still love my 3g iphone

The 3.0 software update comes out the 17th.

No video though, it is only available with the new phone...

Yeah I was all but decided that I didn't need an iPhone... They must have been reading my mind... Cause they added all the things I wanted...

Darn Apple! I was happy with my 3G and was just going to upgrade to software 3.0, but that video capability sure makes a new one tempting. That, and the larger memory. I keep my phone library of music trimmed down, to save space. Having more gigs would let me put my whole library on my phone, which is great when you want to play that occasional rare song.

You can jailbreak the iPhone 3g and Cydia has a free video recorder. It's probably not as good as the new one, but it's free. All of the software to jailbreak is downloadable on the net. And there a lot of tutorials on YouTube. Of course if you jailbreak your phone, you have to be careful about bringing into an Apple store for repairs. You have to install the original firmware on it before they'll work on it. It might even void your warrantee if they see that it's jailbroken. Not sure though. But it's really easy to restore the original firmware.

And I just got a G1/Android Dream (HTC but from Rogers, not Google). It too has some apps for recording music (albeit no ukulele chord program - yet). And it can capture video on its camera.

You can jailbreak the iPhone 3g and Cydia has a free video recorder. It's probably not as good as the new one, but it's free. All of the software to jailbreak is downloadable on the net. And there a lot of tutorials on YouTube. Of course if you jailbreak your phone, you have to be careful about bringing into an Apple store for repairs. You have to install the original firmware on it before they'll work on it. It might even void your warrantee if they see that it's jailbroken. Not sure though. But it's really easy to restore the original firmware.

was just about to type that. No need to upgrade, your current iphone can video record with a little jail breaking

Woohoo! I've got my contract up on my Blackberry the end of July and I was waiting for a 32GB iPhone. That will replace my iPod Touch, my Palm, and my Blackberry. I can finally travel with only one charger and one device. Of course, I'm doomed if I lose it...

I just ordered a 32GB 3GS in black...can't wait for it to arrive next Friday!

Current 3G owners should be warned that if you want to upgrade before your contract runs out it's going to cost you an extra $200. (Fortunately I'm upgrading from the original iPhone.)

Last edited:
I haven't jailbreaked my iPhone, because I'm extremely unlucky. Especially with technology. I don't want to run the risk of not being able to have the phone replaced or serviced, should it crash again.

My first phone crashed while I was on a trip to Japan. We activated international calling and everything was working fine, until day 2. My phone spontaneously crashed and wouldn't reboot and stay on. My brother spent about an hour on the phone with At&t's customer support to no avail. When I came back home, I took it in to an Apple Store and had it replaced. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it either, and opted to just give me a replacement.

Top Bottom