Anybody heard the old & new KTM-00 together in person?

kregger

Reaction score
I've watched HMS video showing both old & new KTM-00 tenors but I'm wondering if any of you have heard them in person together. Here's my problem: before I even knew there was a "new" version, I had already concluded from video listening that the old KTM-00 was the best sounding uke I had ever heard. I concluded this after watching several videos with different players, where it clearly had its own unique deep resonant sound. One of the things that really drew me to KTM-00 was its deep lows, but never having heard one in person, I realize that those deep lows might sound better on vid than in person. Sometimes, I assume, that boomy depth can be too strong in person. With the new KTM-00, apparently it's more balanced, so the lows don't override the rest of the sounds. However, that also means it lost a little bit of "punch" in its lows. After browsing through forum reviews, it seems like a lot of folks have a preference for the new KTM, but my ears are kinda partial to the old KTM (at least in videos).

Just wondering what y'all think. I actually just placed an order for the new KTM-00 (because that's what was available), but part of me wonders if I'm making a mistake not waiting for one of the old ones to become available b/c that's the one my ears originally fell in love with...albeit only from video audio. I've never heard either in person and I'm too far drive away from a legit uke seller to easily hear them in person.

For reference:
Old style KTM-00: body starts at 15th fret
New style KTM-00 body starts at 14th fret

Here's the HMS vid where they discuss the differences between old & new as well as demonstration.
https://youtu.be/Zj-BaboOEiI?t=2111

Last edited:
I have both: a May 2019 and an Anniversary edition

Markedly different but both great. I was so used to the boomy bottom of the old style that I thought there was something wrong with the 20th anniversary edition, until I recorded them. I did about 2 hours of recorded comparisons and I love both. The new update, including the 20th anniversary, has more presence. More like a Kamaka but still have that KoAloha character. The older version is louder, boomier, but not as clear. I love both. Was going to sell, one but not anymore

Top Bottom