sonic differences between Flea and Fluke?

Thumper

Reaction score
Those of you who have owned or played both of these intruments, how would you compare them? I like the sound of both in all the videos I've seen, but have never heard them in a direct comparison.

I'm liking my new Flea a lot, but after hearing about how loud and bright they are, I was surprised that it seems mellower than my cheap Lanikai. It's louder and fuller, to be sure, but it also has a mellower overall vibe. I love the almost toylike sound of a classic soprano uke, so I worry that going to a Fluke might take me too far away from that. I really love the look of Flukes, and the videos I've seen sound great, but it's hard to capture sonic subtleties via youtube.

So I'd be interested in any input from people who have directly A/B tested Flukes and Fleas. Thanks!

And yes, I searched the forums, and while I found some good stuff, I didn't find this specific topic addressed in depth.

Those of you who have owned or played both of these intruments, how would you compare them? I like the sound of both in all the videos I've seen, but have never heard them in a direct comparison.

I'm liking my new Flea a lot, but after hearing about how loud and bright they are, I was surprised that it seems mellower than my cheap Lanikai. It's louder and fuller, to be sure, but it also has a mellower overall vibe. I love the almost toylike sound of a classic soprano uke, so I worry that going to a Fluke might take me too far away from that. I really love the look of Flukes, and the videos I've seen sound great, but it's hard to capture sonic subtleties via youtube.

So I'd be interested in any input from people who have directly A/B tested Flukes and Fleas. Thanks!

And yes, I searched the forums, and while I found some good stuff, I didn't find this specific topic addressed in depth.

In my experience, Flukes are even more full, dark and mellow than Fleas in sound.

If you like that bright, clanky sound, a Fluke may not be for you.

I've found Flukes to be noticeably louder than Fleas.

JJ

In my experience, Flukes are even more full, dark and mellow than Fleas in sound.

If you like that bright, clanky sound, a Fluke may not be for you.

Though, oddly enough a tenor Fluke has a lovely sound, probably because of the increased string tension from the longer scale length. From my experience I like tenor Flukes and soprano Fleas better than concert Flukes. I haven't tried a concert-length Flea yet.

Though, oddly enough a tenor Fluke has a lovely sound, probably because of the increased string tension from the longer scale length. From my experience I like tenor Flukes and soprano Fleas better than concert Flukes. I haven't tried a concert-length Flea yet.

That was my next question: does neck size influence the sound very much?

My Flea is a concert, and I'd been thinking I'd get a concert Fluke as well, since I really like the feel of a concert-sized neck - it's much less crowded than a soprano neck. I figured a tenor might be too guitar-like for my tastes.

Decisions, decisions...

That was my next question: does neck size influence the sound very much?

My Flea is a concert, and I'd been thinking I'd get a concert Fluke as well, since I really like the feel of a concert-sized neck - it's much less crowded than a soprano neck. I figured a tenor might be too guitar-like for my tastes.

Decisions, decisions...

As a guitar player, I would have to say that you have nothing to worry about. Even my Bari is not particularly guitar-like.

Top Bottom