First time String buyer

ps6000

Reaction score
Howdy,

I have a Samick UK-60 (concert). Cheap as it is, it is my first Ukulele that can be considered an instrument. I have owned it for a year now and am looking at buying some new strings. I have read the forums, looked at brands and I haven't decided. I was hoping I could get a few suggestions.

I play GCEA. I am a guitar/bass player, I don't have trouble with strings hurting my hands. I don't care about the cost of strings.

I do want the best "sound" possible (in terms of volume and tone). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I may end up wanting to buy two different sets to see how they affect the sound.
Also, my local store only stocks martin's. Do you have an online store you could recommend.

Well thats a lot for just four small strings.

Thanks

it seems that the most popular strings are:

aquila nylgut - these can be found all over ebay for about $6-10 a set after shipping

d'addario J71 - these are made for tenors, but they can also be used for concert scale with minor differences in feel and tone. can get them at musiciansfriend.com for about $4 plus shipping per pack.

worth fluorocarbon - these are pretty expensive, but you can string up two ukes with one set. so the cost evens out if you end up liking these. they come in a variety of styles, so it may be difficult and expensive to find what you like the most. but sound-wise, i dont think ive heard any complaints about any of these.

ko'olau gold - not sure where to get these. but their tone is a little brighter than the J71. still very nice strings though.

just gotta try em all. no way to tell which set of strings is going to sound best for your uke. and my opinion on what sounds good may not be the same as your opinion.

I believe that musicguymic also sells string 'sampler' packs that contain some 4 different types -- you could go that way and maybe even provide a comparative review <hint hint>

have fun!

Last edited:
As NukeDOC stated, it's hard to predict what your uke will sound like when restrung. You may or you may not like it. I like Aquilla and Worth, but the Worth seems a little birghter. Then again my uke's a little higher pitch than some of the other ukes around. Anyway, here's the link to Musicguymic . . . or you can try some of the online sites like Ukulele World or Elderly (actually a music store).

Thanks

Thanks for the help and pointing me to musicguymic. I just bought a 4 set pack from him.

Maybe I will do that comparative review. What do you think, give each set a few months to set in and try another set?

Will replacing the strings like this will damage them?

Thanks for the help and pointing me to musicguymic. I just bought a 4 set pack from him.

Maybe I will do that comparative review. What do you think, give each set a few months to set in and try another set?

Will replacing the strings like this will damage them?

Damage them....what do you mean exaclty? You can't re-use them very well. Some ukestars out there seem to do this on occasion to save some bucks, but I have not had luck with re-using them, as they get wound really tight around the tuners and stretch etc...

If you are talking about re-using them...just try it and see, nothing bad is going to happen to the uke itself...

I was thinking about the strings. Since I am buying a set of four I was thinking about taking a set off putting it away, or giving them to a buddy.

I switch strings on all my instruments until I find something I like. But most of my instruments are steel strung not nylon. I don't have much experience with nylon strings.

Top Bottom