My new Talsma Les Paul inspired tenor uke - Gerald Ross

Gerald Ross

Reaction score
I just visited my pal Dave Talsma at his ultra-cool house and picked up my new Les Paul inspired solid-body tenor ukulele. The body is actually chambered and has a nice quiet acoustic tone.

Plugged in... wow! The uke is capable of a nice acoustic tone as well as a bluesy dirty sound. Feedback is non-existent. We cranked the uke using Dave's Swart tube amp and all we got was tone!

The top is flamed maple (look at that sunburst, Dave is quite that talented guy). The back, sides and neck are mahogany. There is cream colored binding on the top, fingerboard and headstock - just like a Les Paul. The control cover on the back is flamed maple signed by Dave.

We used the Mi-Si Align internal pre-amp Aligh system with a LR Baggs under the saddle pickup.
Align System

The thing plays like butter. Intonation is spot on perfect all the way up the neck. The action is low and fast. Nut width is 1.5". Ebony fingerboard. Dave carved the mother of pearl inlays.

Here are two recordings showing the versatility of the uke:

1. Me playing the Andrew Sisters hit "Bei Mir Bist Du Shon". I tried to play all over the neck to show the tone in various places.

Bei Mir Bist Du Shon

2. I handed the uke to my 24 year old son David and he immediately turned up the distortion on the amp and recorded this heavy metal etude (on nylon strings!).

David Shreds

Pix:

LP-TalsmaShots.jpg
LP-UpperBout.jpg

LP-SideShot.jpg

LP-Headstock.jpg

wow Wow WOW! :eek:

Sounds great, I can't wait to buy my first electric uke.

The in-lay is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! I also like the fact that he kept the bridge simple so it doesn't detract from the sunburst grain on the top panel.

Oh my goodness...
I have just met the love of my life. That thing is gorgeous :love:

Wow!

I think that is by far the nicest electric ukulele I have ever seen! Really nice attention to detail on the appearance, and the sound is fantastic! Nice playing, by the way, which doesn't hurt. It looks to be a much higher quality than most Les Paul inspired designs. I assume it is a custom job just for you. Boy, if that were a production model, he would get a lot of takers. Thanks for the "show and play"!

–Lori

Awesome uke

That is a absolutely beatiful uke. You are so lucky. I'm looking for an electric uke myself that has just inspired me more

wow. all i can say is wow. its incredible.

now, i wonder how hard it would be to fabricate a tune-o-matic bridge so that the neck can be angled and make it a carved top. and then, once that is made, how many organs i have to sell in mexico to acquire it. hahaha

that uke is baaaaaad. the attention to detail is superb.

i need to learn to make these. i do.

That is one amazing Uke!
Congrats!

Top Bottom