PDA

View Full Version : What song are you focused on learning right now?

UKESTAR
03-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Right now, what song are you all currently most focused on learning?

I just jumped head first into Going to California..Zep. I saw GX9901 do it and it was pretty impressive...he inspired me to learn it. Might be in over my head though...we'll see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBOm3TP4RLQ

GX9901
03-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Hey Ukestar, you're embarrassing me! But thanks for the kind words. I seriously have not perfected any song I've learned yet, as you probably could see in the videos I did post on Youtube. It's all in good fun though. And I enjoy seeing "imperfect" performances on Youtube myself as they seem more "real" to me.

I'm just starting to learn "Close to You" from Dominator's video tutorial. Learning new songs on the ukulele is a lot of fun and rewarding.

UKESTAR
03-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey Ukestar, you're embarrassing me! But thanks for the kind words. I seriously have not perfected any song I've learned yet, as you probably could see in the videos I did post on Youtube. It's all in good fun though. And I enjoy seeing "imperfect" performances on Youtube myself as they seem more "real" to me.

I'm just starting to learn "Close to You" from Dominator's video tutorial. Learning new songs on the ukulele is a lot of fun and rewarding.

Sorry GX...Adrine gets all the attention...you deserve some too..haha. You have mucho talent my friend...keep it up man!:D
Checked out your ghetto uke blog....nice work...lots of detail. I like those cases you had...

drubin
03-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Great video GX! Superb playing. :D

Ian Boys
03-24-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm currently working on learning 'Salut' by Joe Dassin.... My French teacher wants me to try to do weekly performances in class....

....memorizing a song in French when it isn't your first language is a bit of a pain... doable, fun, but painful...

<~/UkeDude\~>
03-24-2008, 06:08 PM
I'm putting in some finishing touches to "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". . .I'm playing it for my schools talent show :D
And yeah I'm watching all sorts of videos on Youtube picking and choosing the cool sounding ways on how to play it so it sound awesome when i play it in front of my school ^_^

Other then that, I just jump around and learn stuff I hear on the radio lol xP

UkuLeLesReggAe
03-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Dragon - im actually pretty proud of this :D and all thanks to Dom for showing me the technique and the tabs.

I got the tapping down and i can play a lot of it, ill make a vid some time soon - but i hate making them so it won't be on my account for long.

Dominator
03-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Dragon - im actually pretty proud of this :D and all thanks to Dom for showing me the technique and the tabs.

I got the tapping down and i can play a lot of it, ill make a vid some time soon - but i hate making them so it won't be on my account for long.

UkulelesReggAe, I look forward to seeing your video when you get around to it. Dragon is not an easy song to play well. That's why I've never recorded it;).

For the last 3 or 4 days I tuned one of my self made tenors to ADF#B (low A) and have been messing around with Uke Talk as recorded by James Hill. This is a tough one for me. I attempted to play it during the open mic on Saturday night. I'm glad Ryan didn't record it because I know I would be embarrased by my performance. But as I told folks before I played it, I wanted to push myself a bit and not just stay in my comfort zone. I think this is an important part in the development process.

ukusaurus
03-24-2008, 07:13 PM
I can never just pick one song and master it all at once. I normally have 3 to 4 different songs I practice back and forth with. Taking one song and trying it over and over again bores me extremely fast but if I have a couple different ones on the go I just alternate when I get frustrated and come back to the one that is frustrating me later. Anyone else do something like this?

NotoriousMOK
03-24-2008, 07:50 PM
ukusaurus -- that seems to be my way too -- I don't get much 'completed', but it's good fun all the same

ukusaurus
03-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Definately! I play my uke for the sole purpose to have fun and when I'm struggling and getting frustrated with a certain piece it kind of defeats the purpose of why I'm playing in the first place. :mad:

lernon
01-04-2009, 10:41 AM
ya... me too
anyways...
i'm actually learning euclapstick (i think that's how you spell it...)
with dominator's tabs (of course)
it's really hard...
i'm almost finished though...
and i'm currently looking for the version of uke talk done by james hill...
but i can't seem to find it

SinisterDom
01-04-2009, 11:26 AM
I like when old threads like this get bumped.

Anyway, I'm working on Dragon....and have been for 2 months lol.

uke142464
01-04-2009, 11:31 AM
down under by the men at work, it's an awesome song:D

Captain Google
01-04-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm toying with the idea of learning Alan's (UKISOCIETY's) version of "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire".

Valerie
01-04-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm currently working on "Requiem For a Dream" it's coming along, okay...

mhh
01-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Fight Test by the Flaming Lips!

MisoHappy
01-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Bodysurfing. I't's proving laborious on my fingers. Especially that tremolo. I think I got the first part down though.

bluesuke
01-04-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm working on Imagine. Dominator's arrangement
just started today

MGM
01-04-2009, 05:58 PM
still trying to get past the first verse of Byron Yasui's "sleighride together with you" maybe i will get it by next christmas...lol

Captain Google
01-04-2009, 06:12 PM
I decided to hold off on Alan's song until I get an uke with a low G string. (I'd rather not fiddle with the strings unless they break)

Until then, I'll work on these Leonard Cohen patterns I just learned.

Regster
01-04-2009, 06:12 PM
if i aint got u on the uke lesson

UkuLeLesReggAe
01-04-2009, 06:13 PM

wow.. its almost been a whole year and i still havnt made a video..

but i finished dragon now

now on crosscurrent

Sayyadina
01-04-2009, 09:42 PM

Same here. I am working on this song for a couple of weeks already, also thanks to Dom. Still having problems with the very fast tapping part in the middle and everything after that.

Eiles
01-04-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm actually working on Something and thanks to Dominator for his tutorial and his great tabs.

grappler
01-04-2009, 11:39 PM
just finished cecilia, havent posted it.

now working on Yuki no hana & going to california

UkuLeLesReggAe
01-05-2009, 02:58 AM
Same here. I am working on this song for a couple of weeks already, also thanks to Dom. Still having problems with the very fast tapping part in the middle and everything after that.

i can help u out kind of, well this is how i did it..

the middle tapping part, on the powertab, assuming thats what your doing it off, just look at what u have to tap first and do it slowly... also count the amount of times, then play it and get the timing for each section... section by section is how i did it.(meaning every time u change)

the strumming part did my head in... but same thing basically... but the fast strumming is kinda hard to get it exact (for me) by doing it per sections... so i just counted how many times to strum before switching..

read it over a few times to understand what i mean, cause i suck at explaining and tell me if i wasted your time, and mine, or it helped a little.

UkuLeLesReggAe
01-05-2009, 03:00 AM
just finished cecilia, havent posted it.

now working on Yuki no hana & going to california

post it up man! i like the way you play :D and cecilia is one of my favourites to be honest... laid back :D

reason why takes so long for me to learn a song from the 1's Dom send me is because i learn songs in between... like for dragon i did, close to you, something, all of aldrines lessons on UU and the live ones he has put up and improving my guava Jam etc

so during crosscurrent its gunna be imagine, cecilia and tears in heaven

so yeah good luck with it!

Sayyadina
01-05-2009, 03:41 AM
i can help u out kind of, well this is how i did it..

the middle tapping part, on the powertab, assuming thats what your doing it off, just look at what u have to tap first and do it slowly... also count the amount of times, then play it and get the timing for each section... section by section is how i did it.(meaning every time u change)

the strumming part did my head in... but same thing basically... but the fast strumming is kinda hard to get it exact (for me) by doing it per sections... so i just counted how many times to strum before switching..

read it over a few times to understand what i mean, cause i suck at explaining and tell me if i wasted your time, and mine, or it helped a little.

Thanks for trying to help. I am sure this would help me if I actually had the powertab file. I've been learning from the tab only and used the video of Jake's live performance for help. Could you send me the ptb file per email? That would be awesome.

sebi
01-05-2009, 05:21 AM
I just uploaded my newest ukulele cover video with Aya -- a ukulele cover for the song Dilemma by Nelly feat. Kelly Rowland, but am still trying to master the singing part. It is rather hard for me to remember the lyrics (except for my own songs), and since Nelly raps rather fast, I really had to practice hard to bring the voice and uke strumming in sync.

Here you are the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CWVL8BiD5k

Howie1947
01-05-2009, 05:27 AM
I'm still trying to find the chords for "Crazy G" and "Stars and Stripes Forever".........Would really like to master the stars and stripes song......Howie

hoosierhiver
01-05-2009, 06:05 AM
"Behold" by Culture

freedive135
01-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Bali Hai and Quiet Village as just chords with a fingerpicking intro and starting it off with one of those wooden frog things that you drag a stick over their back.
http://www.tenthousandvillages.com/catalog/product.detail.php?product_id=4132

Pearly Shells with some fingerpicking thrown in.

UKISOCIETY
01-05-2009, 06:59 AM
I'm currently working on a fantastic scheme - attempting to graft 2 classic rockers into one ukulele performance. Will the transplant stick? Stay tuned....
:p :p :p

carpekd
01-05-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm learning several songs at the moment:

Acoustic:
Something - George Harrison

Plugged w/ Pedals:
Harder,Better,Faster,Stronger - Daft Punk
King Without A Crown - Matisyahu
Slow Ride - Foghat

I'm busy LOL

Ukuleleblues
01-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Puttin on the Ritz
I've got my love to keep me warm

Link
01-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Greensleeves.

Monkeyswithladders
01-05-2009, 02:46 PM
While I was home for the holidays I took video of my 10-year-old sister playing the harmonica part to In the Garage by Weezer on trumpet and now I'm trying to use my computer to add the other parts around her.

Then I'm going to either do Clones (We're All) by Alice Cooper, or Tonight You Belong To Me with the solo part done by my wife on Clarinet. Which of them depends on if she's up for it or not.

Howlin Hobbit
01-05-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm working on writing tunes for the upcoming Snake Suspenderz CD and learning the ones that Thad is writing.

Luckily, I can read the charts when recording but when we play out it'd be nice to be able to do songs off the CD.

j312311
01-05-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm currently learning sweet child o mine by guns & roses

deach
01-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Jason Mraz's I'm Yours.

Does anyone have the tabs or strumming pattern for it?

UKISOCIETY
01-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Jason Mraz's I'm Yours.

Does anyone have the tabs or strumming pattern for it?

This is the 2nd comet i"d seen of this song. Must be gettin poplar.:nana:

deach
01-05-2009, 03:16 PM
This is the 2nd comet i"d seen of this song. Must be gettin poplar.:nana:

It won Honorable Mention in the Bushman contest. That's how I heard it.

beeejums
01-05-2009, 03:48 PM
I have a few songs I'll work on at once too...

right now it's "Stairway to Heaven," the song that Woodshed on uke hunt calls "cantina band" (I can't remember the title, but I know the band is called Figrin Dan and the Modelnodes, 'cause I'm a nerd), and "Dream a Little Dream of Me"

And then I have other songs I'm learning on bass... I wonder how I find the time.

menehunenyc
01-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Just tidying up a version of Blackbird (using Sesso's tabs). Then I'll be moving onto tackling Jake's "Let's Dance". I have the tabs for "I'm yours" so maybe I'll work on that too. I hear the ladies love that one:p

nickulele
01-06-2009, 06:29 AM
Ive been playing around the chords for 'Falling Down' by Tom Waits for ages and they sound SO nice on a uke that i tried to do a cover of it. Its on myspace for all to hear at the moment!

The singing however does NOT sound that nice coming out of my mouth.....

tHeDirTyJoHnSon
01-28-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm work'n on a version of Ry Cooder's "Vigilante Man",, Ive got the uke part sorted,, just my singing,, that lets it down,,

mmanalo
01-28-2009, 03:27 PM
I can never just pick one song and master it all at once. I normally have 3 to 4 different songs I practice back and forth with. Taking one song and trying it over and over again bores me extremely fast but if I have a couple different ones on the go I just alternate when I get frustrated and come back to the one that is frustrating me later. Anyone else do something like this?

LOL...I do da same thing, I have not yet played one full song from begining to end..lol!

Captain Google
01-28-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm currently working on Fake Wings (yay anime!) and Wish on my Star (yay Jake!).

CTurner
01-28-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm working on Mark Nelson's slack key version of E Ku U Morning Dew--interesting combo of sliding, picking and rhythmic variation. And my Concert Kanile'a seems to love it!

Craig Turner

Phlogiston
01-28-2009, 04:23 PM
I am working on maybe three or four dozen songs--I have several books and tabs I have downloaded and I just sit down and work my way through. I probably need to get serious if I really want to improve (and maybe memorize the words). My projects are figuring out the chords to 36 Grad (36 Degrees) by 2Raumwohnung (almost got it--verses are done and the chorus in the latter half of the song, but there must be a key change in there) and translating the Wir Sind Helden Liederbuch I bought (the instructions and notes, I'd rather sing them in German). I am not German and I certainly don't speak it very well, but I like to search out music that isn't on the radio (and isn't in English)-just for fun. Then there is the challenge of figuring out how to play chords like Bsuss2/C#, A/G#, Bm/D, etc. which is forcing me to learn notes and a little theory.

Mediamst
01-28-2009, 04:26 PM
I work on about 5 songs at a time and often don't learn them completely from beginning to end. I need to stop doing that!

Working on "Time in a Bottle", Aldrene's "Somewhere over the Rainbow" and "breakdown" by Jack Johnson.

menehunenyc
01-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Just posted 'blackbird', been working on Shambala for a couple weeks, needs alot of fine tuning but the chords and singing are there. Next big projects: Jakes' 'Lets Dance', entering the MMMMbop contest and the original Uke song contest.

hawaiianmusiclover06
01-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Right now, the song that I am focused on learning now is Kaimana Hila. I will be performing it on Feb 14th with my Ukulele School.

watchmeuke
01-28-2009, 05:26 PM
im thinkin about doing ludacris' "whats your fantasy"

Hobgoblin Steve
01-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Kokomo - The Beach Boys

UkEdman90
01-28-2009, 05:55 PM
for the guitar, Drifting- Andy McKee. n the Uke just finished up fully playing "Thriller" today. took me about two days to nail it but i got it! I want to work on "Me and Shirly T" next.

MisoHappy
01-28-2009, 06:01 PM
I want to work on "Me and Shirly T" next.

I think that was the song Aldrine played on live lessons today. Not for the lesson, but for the sign out.

UkEdman90
01-28-2009, 06:10 PM
I think that was the song Aldrine played on live lessons today. Not for the lesson, but for the sign out.

really? ima have to go check it out. i was fishing haha. its tough

MisoHappy
01-28-2009, 06:14 PM
really? ima have to go check it out. i was fishing haha. its tough

He says it's a Jake song :D

Good luck!

UkEdman90
01-28-2009, 06:22 PM
He says it's a Jake song :D

Good luck!

it is haha Jake has songs that are very complex but with practice you can get em down.

MisoHappy
01-28-2009, 09:24 PM
it is haha Jake has songs that are very complex but with practice you can get em down.

Heck, if you practice enough, you can learn anything. If you don't want to do (learn) what's possible, how can you do the impossible?

experimentjon
01-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Working on Blue Roses Falling now. Need to listen to it more to get timing and stuff down, but I should have it done eventually if I keep working at it.

carloatl
01-29-2009, 07:50 PM
harana/serenade!

really trying hard to nail that song. having a hard time with the chord changes and negotiating between the strumming patterns.

thejumpingflea
01-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Dragon

That solo is damn tough. Gettin' there.

UkEdman90
01-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Dragon

That solo is damn tough. Gettin' there.

REALLY! i found it not to complicating! what are you having a problem with?

thejumpingflea
01-29-2009, 09:00 PM
REALLY! i found it not to complicating! what are you having a problem with?

The speed.

Do you have a video playing it correctly? Contrary to popular belief it is not a simple double hand arpeggio. Jake does this little thing with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMxqMSDlSq8 seen at 3:18

hwynboy
01-30-2009, 05:13 AM
Im trying to get Canon in D down, so I can play it for my upcoming wedding. I'm not sure I will if I can't get it nailed tight...I want to find more of the instructional video like davoomac posted for the play it forward contest for other picking parts.

SamWise
01-30-2009, 05:31 AM
I'm working on In Walked Bud, a bebop tune by Thelonius Monk. I have my reasons.....

UkuLeLesReggAe
01-30-2009, 05:31 AM
CC

also known as crosscurrent

PickNStrum
01-30-2009, 06:20 AM
WS64's version of "Shine on you crazy diamond" by Pink Floyd. Nearly have it memorized.

MissJess
01-30-2009, 08:09 AM
I've got a few brewing, but my main focus is on Lullaby of the Leaves.

01-30-2009, 08:31 AM
i'm trying to follow (rather unsuccessfully) aldrine's if i ain't got you and wonderful tonight. i'm also trying to learn pauoa liko ka lehua. i've got the chords that down, but i'd like to embellish it with alternate chords as well