Dating Vintage Martins

YOOPER1

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed at length here, but I am not able to figure out where using the search function. I have a C-1 Martin on the way, and the seller was told that it was made in the 40s or 50s. From what I have read, one can determine that the stamp on the back of the headstock disappeared about 1932, bar frets until end of WWII, and the "Made in the USA" portion of the inside stamp disappeared about 1961. So this one has t-frets and no "made in the USA", so it is between '45 and '61. Between those years, what features can be used to date a Martin? Shops often specify 40s or 50s, but how do they tell? Sorry for the redundancy if this has been thoroughly discussed previously.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been discussed at length here, but I am not able to figure out where using the search function. I have a C-1 Martin on the way, and the seller was told that it was made in the 40s or 50s. From what I have read, one can determine that the stamp on the back of the headstock disappeared about 1932, bar frets until end of WWII, and the "Made in the USA" portion of the inside stamp disappeared about 1961. So this one has bar frets and no "made in the USA", so it is between '45 and '61. Between those years, what features can be used to date a Martin? Shops often specify 40s or 50s, but how do they tell? Sorry for the redundancy if this has been thoroughly discussed previously.

I knew a good-looking girl named Martin in high school, but I never dated her. :D

At this point in my life, I would gladly date a vintage Martin, if one were available. :p

Oops. I meant t-frets and edited that into the original post. So that places it between '47 and '62. I have noticed from various internet pics that some have black tuner buttons and some have white. A consistent difference or maybe replacements? Also, the binding seems to vary in darkness, but that may just be variation in lighting when the pics were taken.

Tom Walsh and John King's Martin Ukulele book is the definitive piece on this. It'll have all of the details you could ever want, plus many more to grow on for your next Martins (because who gets just one?). It's simply one of the best instrument books I've ever come across.

There is also a Martin Ukulele Owners group on Facebook, but it isn't very active.

It took 3 weeks for the Walsh & King book to arrive via Amazon, but it got here today. As far as I can find in there, the features that I can use for dating my Martin C1 are that it has T-frets (1947 and later) and it does not have "Made in the USA" as part of the stamp inside the sound hole, which was added in 1960. I can't find anything in the book that would narrow the date more than that. It has the black Champion tuners, which were on 1C ukes from 1944 to 1965, but that doesn't help any. Is 1947 to 1959 the best that I can do, or are there any other hints?

I knew a good-looking girl named Martin in high school, but I never dated her. :D

At this point in my life, I would gladly date a vintage Martin, if one were available. :p

My initial reaction to the Thread title was, "And you probably can, thanks to recent Supreme Court decisions."

I'd also say, "But then, I'm dating myself... which is still illegal in at least 16 states..."

I was going to suggest Martin Sheen, but he's been happily married for over 50 years.

106667799_a_p.jpg

My initial reaction to the Thread title was, "And you probably can, thanks to recent Supreme Court decisions."

I'd also say, "But then, I'm dating myself... which is still illegal in at least 16 states..."

At this point, I'd date just about anyone (female, that is).

Top Bottom